Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what now?

#1 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-30, 10:44

imps. What now? Does an immediate 5nt pick a slam work here? If you think so, do you pass 6d if pard bids that? If you start with 4s, how do you think the auction is likely to develop? thx for replies

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-30, 11:02

Chances are good that partner's values in spades will be worthless in a trump contract - and maybe in NT as well, if ops avoid leading them. I am inclined to pass 3NT, although this might be giving up too easily.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-30, 13:47

Tough.

I'll try 4 on the general principle that it shows 2 places to play in my partnership and bid 5 over 5 with fingers crossed. I don't expect my partner to get it right every time on such a rare auction but 5nt is all eggs in one basket as to what pard does next.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-30, 14:36

I would pass and hope partner makes it.

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-30, 17:36

Bid 4 and see what partner does, I will allow him to sing off in 4NT

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 02:09

If I would bid 4, I would certainly not pull his 5 bid to 5. He may have bid 3NT on AQJxxxx, a spade stop and some cards in the round suits.

But I'm a simple soul. If I have a slam invitational hand, I will invite slam: 4NT. Partner can pass, bid a suit (I will make sure we get to slam) or bid 6NT. No guarantees, but to me it seems to be the way to get to the decent slams and stay out of the bad ones.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 05:40

It may or may not be relevant on this hand but does anyone play transfers over a natural 3NT overcall? I am not sure we cannot play a similar structure as after, say, 2 - 2; 3NT when not playing Kokish. If we were playing transfers then we could consider the auction (3) - 3NT - 4; 4 - 4/4NT to show hearts and clubs. Whether we are good enough for this sequence is another matter. Partner is much more likely to have 15 or so than 20+!
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   bftboy 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-31, 11:53

Opps bid the hand against us, and S passed 3nt. They made 6 after a spade lead when N turned up with Kxx AKJ Axx Q10xx. Our N player dbld with the hand, S bid 4 , and they got to 6 easily.

My thought was that N will either have a hand that looks pretty much like this, or he will have stoppers and s he hopes to run. He can't be much stronger than this or he'd surely double, and he can't be much weaker or he just wouldn't have a vul 3nt call. Either way, the S hand looks worth a slam try.

The S player said she didn't know what 4nt would or should mean here. Quantitative? Generic blackwood? Bid a suit? We didn't discuss 4, but is it even forcing? Should it be? 5nt is clearly an all or nothing bid, which would have worked out on the actual hand, but not on others where N is weaker with long diamonds. That leaves 4. That seems right to me. You can pass or guess to gamble on 6 if N bids 5. If he bids 5 or possibly 5, you can bid 6 and expect to make it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users