• You cannot reply to this topic

What do you bid here?

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 09:11

View Postmovingon, on 2013-January-22, 08:43, said:

The other hand was: xx, AKxxx, AQx, xxx

That looks like a (weak) NT opening to me.
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   movingon 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 09:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-January-22, 09:11, said:

That looks like a (weak) NT opening to me. :ph34r:

:)

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-22, 10:16

View Postmovingon, on 2013-January-22, 08:43, said:

This hand was sent to me and I had chosen the 4nt response--find out right away if partner has 3 keycards.
The partner's hand was sent to me this morning:

The other hand was: xx, AKxxx, AQx, xxx Spades split 2/2 so makes 7 without a club lead and 6 with a club lead.

4N is awful. Sorry, but it is. You have zero 5 level safety: imagine xx AQxxx KQx Qx: a full opener and you are off 2 minor Aces and need a lucky lie in trumps, and imagine worse hands. Bidding 4N is the mark of a non-expert.

What if his 3 keycard were xx Kxxxx AQx Axx? Now you need 2-2 trumps and the Ace onside.

As it was, you needed both majors 2-2, playing in spades, which is not a probable layout. Hearts, you can survive 3-1 spades if hearts are 2=2, but even this combination is against the odds by a small margin.

If your post was for the purpose of showing us how good you are, for reaching this slam: well, you have done so, but maybe not the way you intended :D

As it is, I am not assuming that is the reason for the post...I assume you posted in order to find out how the resident experts would deal with this hand. There was no true consensus but none of the better players here opted for 4N, which should tell you something.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2013-January-22, 12:54

View Posthelene_t, on 2013-January-22, 04:15, said:

This time he is dead serious.

So given that he posts all this idiocy here, how do you know he was joking in the other thread?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#25 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 13:02

View Posthan, on 2013-January-22, 12:54, said:

So given that he posts all this idiocy here, how do you know he was joking in the other thread?

2 stopped the lead. Now 4NT leads to an even better auction than suggested by OP. It's clear to bid it even missing two key cards, since the opening lead is 90% likely to be a singleton spade and partner may have the AK of diamonds.

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 13:29

Ouch, bad day?

#27 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2013-January-22, 14:45

I wasn't joking.

However, if this serves to unite MikeH and HanP over a common cause, it has served a valuable purpose.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#28 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-January-22, 15:20

Maybe no one has said so since the call is silly to begin with, but all this "4N RKC" talk is making me wonder if I missed the boat. Don't people play 1M-4N as straight BW still?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#29 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-January-22, 15:21

View Postgwnn, on 2013-January-21, 15:59, said:

Since kenrexford is not here: 2.

Damn! I was reading through to see if the obvious 2 was bid, and then stumbled upon this!

EDIT: The actual hand was posted and will rebid 2.
1-P-2-P
2-P-2 is a nice start. Hearts agreed, GF, nothing else really known. Cuebids from here on out.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#30 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-January-22, 17:08

View Postkenrexford, on 2013-January-22, 15:21, said:

Damn! I was reading through to see if the obvious 2 was bid, and then stumbled upon this!

EDIT: The actual hand was posted and will rebid 2.
1-P-2-P
2-P-2 is a nice start. Hearts agreed, GF, nothing else really known. Cuebids from here on out.

And 2 is a fuzzy rebid right? And opener will soon soldier on with an emphathetic splinter in clubs. I miss these posts!!

Spoiler

... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#31 User is offline   movingon 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-22, 17:31

View Postmikeh, on 2013-January-22, 10:16, said:

4N is awful. Sorry, but it is. You have zero 5 level safety: imagine xx AQxxx KQx Qx: a full opener and you are off 2 minor Aces and need a lucky lie in trumps, and imagine worse hands. Bidding 4N is the mark of a non-expert.

What if his 3 keycard were xx Kxxxx AQx Axx? Now you need 2-2 trumps and the Ace onside.

As it was, you needed both majors 2-2, playing in spades, which is not a probable layout. Hearts, you can survive 3-1 spades if hearts are 2=2, but even this combination is against the odds by a small margin.

If your post was for the purpose of showing us how good you are, for reaching this slam: well, you have done so, but maybe not the way you intended :D

As it is, I am not assuming that is the reason for the post...I assume you posted in order to find out how the resident experts would deal with this hand. There was no true consensus but none of the better players here opted for 4N, which should tell you something.

Such rudeness I don't understand.

I was curious as to how others would respond. I did not know why my friend sent the hand out or what the result at the table could be.
My friend sent the hand out to a number of us and the results were extremely varied. I had intended to share the recommendations made here but those were wildly varied too (and many of these recommendations are based an specific partnership understandings).

I still sthink 4nt keycard blackwood is as good a bid as any. Partnership will be playing this in either 5 or 6 hearts.

It will be a long time before I post another hand here, for sure.

By the way, my friend indicated that she found this hand on Bridge Baron and it recommended a splinter.

#32 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 17:47

View Postmovingon, on 2013-January-22, 17:31, said:

By the way, my friend indicated that she found this hand on Bridge Baron and it recommended a splinter.

Which one? I think we all want to know what the Baron said.

#33 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 17:59

I still sthink 4nt keycard blackwood is as good a bid as any. Partnership will be playing this in either 5 or 6 hearts.

How do you answer keycard when you have 2 + queen of trumps?

#34 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-22, 18:04

View PostFluffy, on 2013-January-22, 17:59, said:

How do you answer keycard when you have 2 + queen of trumps?

5 should be as safe as the Bank of England. Oh, wait ...

#35 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2013-January-22, 20:42

Such rudeness I don't understand.

I was curious as to how others would respond. I did not know why my friend sent the hand out or what the result at the table could be.
My friend sent the hand out to a number of us and the results were extremely varied. I had intended to share the recommendations made here but those were wildly varied too (and many of these recommendations are based an specific partnership understandings).

It will be a long time before I post another hand here, for sure.

I am sorry you feel that my post will stop you from posting in the future. I am also sorry that, even with the arguments posted here against your choice, you still think it is 'as good a bid as any'.

We were all beginners at one point. Some of us became advanced and then some became expert. I know nobody who was expert from the start, and one of the traits of the non-expert is to make bad bids (experts make bad bids as well, but fewer and the errors are often more subtle than those of the non-expert). The hallmark of the non-expert who will become an expert is that he or she tries to learn from the advice/comments of the better players.

This forum is an amazing resource for anyone wanting to become a better player, and one of the best ways of doing so is to post hands, with questions. So you will get criticized for bad bidding: you can either learn from it and get better, or refuse to learn and stay a non-expert, while simultaneously feeling angry at the criticism. Your choice.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users