BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to partner's takeout double - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to partner's takeout double ... at the five level

Poll: Responding to partner's takeout double (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. Pass (27 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. 5H (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-January-09, 22:30

View Postbigbenvic, on 2013-January-09, 20:12, said:

The OP said that X was T/O, now I don't play that at this level, however I don't have a penalty pass (it's close) but I do have a 5 card major.

Now if the OP had said it was a negative double I'd pass.

Considering that the terms "negative double" and "takeout double" mean exactly the same thing, the fact that you would take different actions depending on which one of two identical things it is is quite remarkable.

A penalty double is a positive double. A takeout double is a negative double. And vice-versa.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-09, 22:55

View PostArtK78, on 2013-January-09, 22:30, said:

Considering that the terms "negative double" and "takeout double" mean exactly the same thing, the fact that you would take different actions depending on which one of two identical things it is is quite remarkable.

A penalty double is a positive double. A takeout double is a negative double. And vice-versa.

A negative double is generally a takeout double, although sometimes it has certain additional features, such as promising or denying a four-card spade suit. But all takeout doubles are not negative doubles; far from it.

I have no idea what you are assuming the word "negative" means in this context; I believe that the word came to be used because your hand has a "negative" feature precluding the bidding of a new suit at the necessary level. For example, not enough cards in the suit or not enough HCP.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-09, 23:09

I shouldn't have said negative double, was a poor use of the term.

I should have said that I play it as a "values, it's our hand but I don't have a clear cut action", double. Not A penalty double but if you want to I can cope.

Whereas the definition of a take out double is, I do not want to play in this contract, please bid something else. Now that can be converted into a penalty but you need some reason, you fear a misfit, you have trump tricks, your hand is defensive not offensive ie few quick tricks.

This hand IMO is not a penalty pass, thus I bid 5

#24 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 06:49

View Postbigbenvic, on 2013-January-09, 23:09, said:

I am going to take a punt and guess that you are 24 years old.

#25 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-January-10, 09:53

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-09, 22:55, said:

A negative double is generally a takeout double, although sometimes it has certain additional features, such as promising or denying a four-card spade suit. But all takeout doubles are not negative doubles; far from it.

I have no idea what you are assuming the word "negative" means in this context; I believe that the word came to be used because your hand has a "negative" feature precluding the bidding of a new suit at the necessary level. For example, not enough cards in the suit or not enough HCP.

With all due respect, Vampyr, the definition of a "negative" double is a double that is not a penalty (i.e., positive) double. It is, by definition, a takeout double.

Admittedly, depending on the situation, there are specific requirements on negative doubles, and various partnerships play them differently in different situations. The classic takeout double occurs when the opponents open the bidding and the player in direct seat after the opening bidder doubles. A balancing double is a takeout double. Doubles of opening preempts at the 2 and 3 levels are played as takeout doubles by a vast majority of players.

According to Wikipedia, this is a brief history of the use of the term "negative double:"

The term negative double was initially employed to distinguish it from the penalty, or business, or positive double, and signified a double over an opponent's opening bid whose meaning was a request for partner to bid his best suit. Around 1930, the term informatory double replaced negative double, and that term later gave way to takeout double as it is used at present; the original term negative double fell into disuse.

In 1957, Alvin Roth in his partnership with Tobias Stone appropriated the abandoned term negative double to denote a conventional double by responder over an overcall and gave it its current meaning. The bid was also briefly known as Sputnik, because it was as new as the satellite of that name that the Soviet Union had recently launched. The term is still used sometimes in Europe.

So, in current popular usage, the term "negative double" is reserved for the double made by the partner of the opening bidder after intervention. But the fact is that negative doubles are any doubles that are not positive (i.e. penalty) doubles.

What is really being discussed in the OP and in this thread in general is what most players would refer to as an optional double. Rather than being strictly a takeout double, the optional double is a card showing double. Partner should pass an optional double for penalties far more often than he should pass a takeout double for penalties. And, conversely, partner should be more wary of bidding over an optional double as the doubler's hand may not contain good support for each of the unbid suits. The double of 5 should be an optional double due to the level of the auction. One must be able to show a good hand over a high level preempt without the restrictions that typically apply to a takeout double.

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 15:15

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-10, 06:49, said:

Funniest post ever (altho I'm 26 so you might be making fun of me itt also :P)

#27 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-January-10, 16:59

I'm much younger than 24 :unsure:
Become yourself.

#28 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2013-January-10, 18:21

View Postbigbenvic, on 2013-January-09, 23:09, said:

I shouldn't have said negative double, was a poor use of the term.

I should have said that I play it as a "values, it's our hand but I don't have a clear cut action", double. Not A penalty double but if you want to I can cope.

Whereas the definition of a take out double is, I do not want to play in this contract, please bid something else. Now that can be converted into a penalty but you need some reason, you fear a misfit, you have trump tricks, your hand is defensive not offensive ie few quick tricks.

I think that a "takeout double" at the five level shows a hand where you would have made a takeout double at the three- or four-level and been happy to have it taken out into a game contract.

I don't think there is any hand that could say "I do not want to play in this contract, please bid something else" and simultaneously "I'm happy for you to bid five of any of the other three suits on K10532." Your definition may be more consistent linguistically, but it also means that a five-level takeout double doesn't exist.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#29 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-10, 18:25

View PostArtK78, on 2013-January-10, 09:53, said:

So, in current popular usage, the term "negative double" is reserved for the double made by the partner of the opening bidder after intervention. But the fact is that negative doubles are any doubles that are not positive (i.e. penalty) doubles.

I guess I was wrong about where "negative" came from, but still I would have thought that "current popular usage" was more relevant than popular usage before 1957. If the latter is the terminology you used in your youth, fine, I don't expect you to give it up. But you might want to keep in mind that for most people, the term "negative double" does not mean "any takeout double" and never did.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   RSClyde 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 18:43

I don't understand the question: I'm not on lead.
I make videos about bridge. Check it out!

Right Syde Clyde

#31 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 19:40

You can't lead against your own contract.
Become yourself.

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-January-10, 19:43

View PostLord Molyb, on 2013-January-10, 19:40, said:

You can't lead against your own contract.

It was his way of saying he won't bid, and can't do anything else in "response" because partner is on lead.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#33 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 19:45

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-10, 06:49, said:

Oh to be 24 again :-(

#34 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 20:00

View PostLord Molyb, on 2013-January-09, 19:33, said:

And even though there's probably 15 holes in my logic, I don't think I'm foolish for bidding 5.

Now, if they were vulnerable... I might be a little less convinced.

The silver bullet is that partner will often raise to six and go off when we bid Five Hearts.

The big money is in bidding and making slam - not trying to land on a pinhead at the five level. By stipulating that a removal to five of a suit shows a better and more shapely hand, we make our slam decisions more accurate.

Also, your example hands are all pretty suitable. Partner is allowed to have a good 4351, for instance, in which case bidding rates to work very poorly.

#35 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 20:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-January-10, 19:43, said:

It was his way of saying he won't bid, and can't do anything else in "response" because partner is on lead.

Well, obviously :P
Become yourself.

#36 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 20:07

View PostPhilKing, on 2013-January-10, 20:00, said:

The silver bullet is that partner will often raise to six and go off when we bid Five Hearts.

The big money is in bidding and making slam - not trying to land on a pinhead at the five level. By stipulating that a removal to five of a suit shows a better and more shapely hand, we make our slam decisions more accurate.

Also, your example hands are all pretty suitable. Partner is allowed to have a good 4351, for instance, in which case bidding rates to work very poorly.

Yeah, I pretty much live in hypothetical land; it's driven my partner nuts before. :D
But even on this sort of pin that we are trying to land on, I will still try to land in it.
Become yourself.

#37 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2013-January-10, 23:18

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-10, 18:25, said:

If the latter is the terminology you used in your youth....

Why do I get the feeling that I was just insulted? :)

Pardon me, my rocking chair just got stuck.

#38 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-11, 02:52

View PostArtK78, on 2013-January-10, 23:18, said:

Why do I get the feeling that I was just insulted? :)

Pardon me, my rocking chair just got stuck.

No, I do not consider being old a condition for which insults are appropriate. I am getting pretty old myself.

#39 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 03:59

View PostVampyr, on 2013-January-11, 02:52, said:

I am getting pretty old myself.

Feeling very old is when you help out with the junior (U26) trials and the person who finishes in second place was born in 2000.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#40 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-11, 04:10

View Postpaulg, on 2013-January-11, 03:59, said:

Feeling very old is when you help out with the junior (U26) trials and the person who finishes in second place was born in 2000.

Feeling very old is when the radio plays "oldies" and you were a teenager or older when they first came out.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users