BBO Discussion Forums: Alerting follow on penalty doubles after an initial double of 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alerting follow on penalty doubles after an initial double of 1NT EBU regulations

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-January-11, 02:09

This came up last night and we had a bit of a discussion.

(1NT) X* (2C) P
(2S) X** (3D) P
(P) X** All Pass

We all agreed that the the first double is for penalty and shouldn't be alerted. However I'm sure I read somewhere that the second and subsequent doubles were also for penalty and shouldn't be alerted. However, looking at the EBU Announcing and Summary Alert Tables think it says that I should have alerted the subsequent doubles, is that correct?

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 02:15

The new rules are very simple and don't depend on context. If it's above 3NT, you don't alert. If it's a penalty double of NT, you don't alert. If it's a takeout double of a natural suit, you don't alert. If it shows the (artificial) suit doubled, you don't alert. Everything else you alert. Thus, it only depends on the bid you've doubled, and nothing previous in the auction. Here, therefore, if the subsequent doubles were for penalties, you should alert them, even if everyone* plays them as penalties.

* not everyone plays them as penalties.

This is a change from the previous regulations, which tried to mirror common practice, but had far more caveats and complications. The change was made, I think, in 2006, along with the announcing rules being introduced.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-11, 02:18

Below 3NT, the double of a naturally bid suit is alertable if it is not takeout.

A number of people think that the alert regulations are "too complicated" because there are some alerts required which they find counter-intuitive. A simple rule that anyone can apply if they have read it and which doesn't change according to the meaning of the auction was rightly considered more important than drawing up complicated tables indicating which meanings were "expected".

Edit: crossed above post. Sorry for redundant information.

View Postmjj29, on 2013-January-11, 02:15, said:

If it's above 3NT, you don't alert.

This is not quite correct. Lightner doubles, lead-inhibiting doubles and a few more doubles, redoubles and passes are alertable above 3NT.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2013-January-11, 10:22

Thanks for all the prompt and informative replies.

Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users