• You cannot reply to this topic

Should we be in game at IMPs?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-06, 07:12

IMP's

2H=8+ and 3c

Should we be in game, If yes: who should have done more?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 07:27

You could lose a spade, a diamond, two clubs, one or two hearts. So, it might seem that on a really bad day you could go off in 2, although in fact the defenders are usually going to give away at least one of those tricks on the lead.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-January-06, 09:31

So you make a game where you have all valuable tens and nines and west zero points so that east has to gift you some tricks?

Yes you should continue to bid these games.... at least against me...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 09:37

6322 opposite 4333 with 21 combined does not normally produce game.

#5 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 10:42

I doubt that you will get any votes for getting to 4.

About the squeeze: Were spades also split 2-1? Unless they were, I don't see how this squeeze would work. Suppose 3-1. As E helpfully plays AK and x of clubs you pitch a red and cash dummy's high spade. If E started with a singleton spot you are going to lose a trump. If instead a quack appears from E you run the ten and pick up the trump in three rounds. That's fine, but now you still have a club winner on the board and no way to get to it except via the ace of hearts. If you do that, you destroy the squeeze position. If you just leave the club there and run spades, the position is not, I think, tight enough. After three clubs and six spades, E holds KJ and KQ in hearts/diamonds. N plays a heart, E covers, dummy wins, the club is cashed, E pitches after N. Really I am not even sure how this squeeze works [edit, aas kgr points out, I am wrong here] when spades are 2-2 unless you start with the spade ten to the ace, which would not work well if E shows out. If spades are 2-2, and you start with ten to the ace, back to the King will work. Cash the club, keeping Qx of hearts and the stiff ace of diamonds. Run trump executing a criss-cross. But who would play spades that way? Maybe I have this wrong [I do, see below], but it sounds as if the squeeze was a bit of a pseudo. I can imagine the defense getting a little careless in a 2 imp contract when the only question is ten or eleven tricks.

Anyway back to your question. No one is reaching 4 on these hands. And it won't always be made if they do.
Ken

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 11:01

Thanks all for the answers. Question was probably too influenced by the result after the play.
At the start of the play I didn't really mind the bidding :)

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-06, 10:42, said:

I doubt that you will get any votes for getting to 4.
score card was:
3X -4: 1x
4=: 4x
2+3:1x
3+1:3x
2+2:2x
3=:1x
3-2:2x
(This is a off-line tournament I play against Jack; other results are from real live)
I don't know how 4 spade contracts were bid. Maybe more/other competition or a 3 bid by South

View Postkenberg, on 2013-January-06, 10:42, said:

About the squeeze: Were spades also split 2-1? Unless they were, I don't see how this squeeze would work. Suppose 3-1. As E helpfully plays AK and x of clubs you pitch a red and cash dummy's high spade. If E started with a singleton spot you are going to lose a trump. If instead a quack appears from E you run the ten and pick up the trump in three rounds. That's fine, but now you still have a club winner on the board and no way to get to it except via the ace of hearts. If you do that, you destroy the squeeze position. If you just leave the club there and run spades, the position is not, I think, tight enough. After three clubs and six spades, E holds KJ and KQ in hearts/diamonds. N plays a heart, E covers, dummy wins, the club is cashed, E pitches after N. Really I am not even sure how this squeeze works when spades are 2-2 unless you start with the spade ten to the ace, which would not work well if E shows out. If spades are 2-2, and you start with ten to the ace, back to the King will work. Cash the club, keeping Qx of hearts and the stiff ace of diamonds. Run trump executing a criss-cross. But who would play spades that way? Maybe I have this wrong, but it sounds as if the squeeze was a bit of a pseudo. I can imagine the defense getting a little careless in a 2 imp contract when the only question is ten or eleven tricks.

Anyway back to your question. No one is reaching 4 on these hands. And it won't always be made if they do.

East had:
Q7
KJ982
KQ
AK84
Play: AK and 8
Now K and to the A. and back to dummy with T.
Q and A followed by all trumps squeezes East.

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2013-January-06, 11:28

Oops, yes, that is so. The case with spades 2-2 was something of an afterthought, I should have rechecked my thinking. I guess I had relocated the two red aces. Or something.

I still cannot imagine getting to 4. It happened, I can't explain it.
Ken

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 04:19

View Postkgr, on 2013-January-06, 07:12, said:

Should we be in game, If yes: who should have done more?

No
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-January-30, 10:02

I can think of a few routes that might occur in club bridge:

1 - (2) - 2 - (P);
P - (3) - P - (P);
3 - (P) - 4

1 - (2) - 2 - (P);
P - (3) - 3 - (P);

1 - (2) - 3 - (P);

1 - (X) - 3 - (P);

1 - (X) - 2 - (P);
P - (3) - 3 - (P);

1 - (X) - 2 - (P);
P - (3) - P - (P);
3 - (P) - 4

1 - (X) - 2NT - (P);

I am not suggesting any of these as good bidding, only trying to show how it might happen.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2013-January-30, 11:12

Opener has 2 QT's and 11 HCP. Looking at the hand, I'd say it was just on the cusp between an opener and a weak 2 bid. So, I can find no objection to opener's 2 rebid -- it's the proper valuation of the hand.

Likewise, responder's hand is also on the cusp between a simple raise and a 3 card limit raise. There are 10 HCP, but it is a 4-3-3-3 hand with 9 1/2 losers. I think the flat distribution and number of losers tip the scales toward treating the hand more like a simple raise than a limit raise. So, I see no problem with responder's bidding.

Even if responder took an optimistic view of the hand and treated it like a 3 card limit raise, I think opener's right action is still to pass the invitation.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users