• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PP's Persistent Partners

#21 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-December-23, 04:44

I really do not understand all the passers. I would redouble. If my partner bid JT9xxx this way, I do not care much, he is a pick up and soon an expartner.
But besides this: Sorry Kathryn, your bidding did not help your case. I dislike 1 Sapde and 3 Diamond. I had bid 2 spade ov er 1 Heart or at least 3 spade over 2 Heart.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#22 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 06:20

View Postjillybean, on 2012-December-23, 01:02, said:

I will remember to check for the Laos/Aussie flag.
Do you have a forcing opening for this, I see some did open 2C but I don't like that with a 2 suiter.

Partner held J4,AT85432,875,K, 6 makes when RHO doubles and spades split 3-3 (986,KT5)

Were hearts 4-2 or 5-1 ? I'd have redoubled 4.

I would have opened 1, how much are you going to enjoy 2-(3/4)-P/X-(5/6)- or even a massive diamond bounce. People seem to be less aggressive over 1 than 2.

Playing my own methods I have no issue with this hand as I can make a GF over 1-1 but I think playing standard ish, 1-1-1(don't like it but ...)-2(TG partner didn't pass)-3 would have shown something massive, shapely and with a lot of black cards and no hearts.

#23 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-December-23, 07:15

View Postjillybean, on 2012-December-22, 23:36, said:

1 is bad. I've been playing with too many pickups where a jump is passed.
If you bid 2 partner will still bid 4

Blackshoe is right, I do want to be in slam.

I cannot imagine why 1-1-2 would be passed. On what sort of hand? But in my view of standard bridge, 1-1-1 can be passed. Maybe it won't be passed very often, but it is not forcing. Now if you are serious about wantiung to be in slam I don't get that either. Slam in what? Partner's 2 is consistent with KQxxxx and out. After he jumps to 4, maybe I give him KQJxxxx(x). I have all of the hearts I have promised, partner has not promised any black cards, he did jump to 4, so I pass and hope for the best.

Also, you say partner would jump to 4 over 1-1-2. Why would he do that? If he thought 2 right over 1 why would he not think 3 right over 2?

Anyway, I pass 4 doubled. I have no reason whatsoever to think I will be improving matters by bidding on.

The auction I like begins 1-1-2-3-3. Now if partner bids 4 I have shown my hand, I guess he wants to play in hearts.
Ken

#24 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 09:03

View Postjillybean, on 2012-December-22, 11:33, said:

I didn't know how 2 would be interpreted, how would you start?

South
1C - 1H
2S! = GGG, Gnasher's Gameforce Gadget

Since it is GF, neither of you needs any further jumps.
Without any special follow-ups, I think you can end up in 4S....
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#25 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-23, 09:14

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-December-23, 09:03, said:

South
1C - 1H

We use a different version of this:

1-1-2N(GF unbal, 90+% of hands respond with an artificial 3)-3(7+)-3(no interest in , enormous 4+/6+)- and now it's likely we'll play somewhere sensible, partner won't bid 4 on this type of hand. I don't want to be in a slam particularly.

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 10:06

Playing Romex, I would open 2, planning to rebid 3 to show a two-suiter with primary clubs. If partner bids 3, asking for my second suit, I would bid 3, and later 4. Swap the clubs and diamonds, and I would open 2, and in principle the bidding would proceed the same way, rebidding 3 to show the two-suiter.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2012-December-23, 11:03

3 bad too - if you don't bid 2 at first chance then do so at second opportunity. now you have shown 6-5 and can pass 4 knowing you haven't missed a black suit fit. thinking about slam is very optimistic with no fit
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#28 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-December-23, 11:16

I had not noticed that the partner's hand was posted later. Looking at that:

Cyberyeti caught that I said 5-2 below rather than 5-1, and he is also correct that even this can be handled if the contract is 3NT. Thanks. My error(s)

There are three seven card fits (if seven opposite zero is called a fit) with clubs being stronger than either major. We could end up anywhere. 3NT has ten easy tricks. Oops. Not if clubs split 5-1. 4 should come in. Oops, not if hearts split 5-1. I guess spades survive a 5-1 split thanks to the Jack.

I think 1-1-2-3-3 is a decent start with natural bidding. Probably this ends in 4, but there are choices.Maybe pard realizes ho important his spade Jack is and raises 3 to 4. We can hope.
Ken

#29 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-December-23, 13:47

View Postkenberg, on 2012-December-23, 11:16, said:

I had not noticed that the partner's hand was posted later. Looking at that:

There are three seven card fitd (if seven opposite zero is called a fit) with clubs being stronger than either major. We could end up anywhere. 3NT has ten easy tricks. Oops. Not if clubs split 5-2. 4 should come in. Oops, not if hearts split 5-2. I guess spades survive a 5-2 split thanks to the Jack.

You don't very often get a 5-2 break when you have a 6-1 fit. 3N will make 9 tricks even if clubs are 5-1 or 6-0.

#30 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-December-23, 14:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-December-23, 13:47, said:

You don't very often get a 5-2 break when you have a 6-1 fit. 3N will make 9 tricks even if clubs are 5-1 or 6-0.

Ah yes, I meant 5-1 didn't I. And yes, you can bring in nine tricks in NT. I was thinking four clubs, two diamonds, one heart one spade. But I guess you can manage it regardless.
Ken

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-December-23, 17:09

View Postjillybean, on 2012-December-23, 01:02, said:

I will remember to check for the Laos/Aussie flag.
Do you have a forcing opening for this, I see some did open 2C but I don't like that with a 2 suiter.

Partner held J4,AT85432,875,K, 6 makes when RHO doubles and spades split 3-3 (986,KT5)

6 spades score better than 6 clubs unless they only double where they don't have any possible trick.

I would open 1 spade at MPs, but 1 is ok, bidding diamonds before rebiddind spades is horrible. I would had redoubled 4 hearts as well, the 4 bid looks horrible to me but might come from missinterpretation of 3

#32 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 18:37

View PostFluffy, on 2012-December-23, 17:09, said:

The 4 bid looks horrible to me but might come from missinterpretation of 3

Assuming 2 over 1 is, of all things, natural and forcing, what possible hand can we have for 3 containing a void heart having bid only 1?

Not saying partner should not bid 3, but in a scratch partnership, the jump to four does not make the top three crimes in the auction, passing 4 doubled being the worst imo.

#33 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-December-23, 18:56

4H is poor. Partner should have bid 3H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#34 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-23, 19:03

View Postthe hog, on 2012-December-23, 18:56, said:

4H is poor. Partner should have bid 3H.

Name a hand where we have our 3 bid and yet 4 is poor from partner's perspective (assuming we could bid 2 nat GF over 1).

3 cannot logically be game forcing. He can't bid 3NT, he can't bid game in a black suit, yet it looks like we can make 10 or 11 tricks in hearts, how can we lose 4 tricks without bad luck or bad breaks?

3 would just be pusillanimous (though I am still not saying partner could not bid it B-) ).

#35 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-December-23, 20:34

4 shows a much better h suit than A empty. I agree the bidding up to now has been a sow's ear.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#36 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-December-24, 07:29

Phil has forced me to rethink, and I agree. I was focused on how I think the auction should have begun: 1-1-2-3-3. At this point I have shown (at least) eleven black cards and given partner no reason to think that my two red cards are hearts. If he now bids 4, he can run from a double if he wishes, but I sit.

But now to the auction as it happend:

1-1-1-2-3.

What is responder to think? 1 was passable, responder has rebid a very passable 2, now opener thinks we should go on. Why? This can only be because the 2 improved her hand. And yes, 3 cannot be game forcing, not if 1 was non-forcing (more about that in a minute). The 2 can be quite weak. If weak jump shifts are being played, it probably cannot be the KQxxxx and out that I mentioned earlier, but if there is a stray jack somewhere that probably moves the hand above the wjs threshold. Responder has an ace and extra length in a suit that partner seems reasoably happy with. He has the K in partner's opening suit. Plus a Jack. Looks good to me. If pard can bid 3 over my very weak previous bidding, I can bid 4.

With the KQxxxx hand, with or without the stray Jack, 3 is enough and now opener is free to pass or bid 4 or whatever she had in mind when she bid 3. But with seven hearts to the ace, expecting modest hearts in the dummy and a good hand, partner can envision the play. Win the opening lead, heart to the ace and another heart, and start collecting tricks. Probably there are ten of them to collect.

Now about 1 as non-forcing. In standard, afaik, new suits by responder are forcing (there are exceptions to that also) but a non-jump non-reverse bid by opener is not.It presumably would be seldom passed, but with xxx/KQxxx/xxx/xx I would like to bid 1 over 1 and I would like to pass 1. Not that I like playing 1, but I wanted to see if we can play on hearts, and anyway we are surely in a 4-3 fit rather than the somewhat possible 3-2 fit, or the quite possible 4-2 fit, in clubs.

So now Kathryn, as she said, has gotten herself into a jam. Partner has bid 4 on the assumption he was being encouraged to do so. That's different from when he does so after opener shows eleven black cards. A pull becomes more attractive. And no doubt also more confusing. So they landed in 6 making. It's a Chrsitmas gift.
Ken

#37 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2012-December-24, 08:51

View PostPhilKing, on 2012-December-23, 18:37, said:

Assuming 2 over 1 is, of all things, natural and forcing, what possible hand can we have for 3 containing a void heart having bid only 1?

3 can be taken as: natural (5440) seminat (5431) superaccept with short diamonds(6430, 7420, or 5431 with extras) and there are some people out there who even think 4SF exists on this situation.

#38 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-24, 09:05

I don't think 3 as natural or seminatural makes any sense. If it doesn't show a heart fit, or at least tolerance to play 3, it is logically game forcing. How can we have a game force when we couldn't bit 2 a round earlier? Only if our hand improved by the 2 bid, so we have a heart fit, or at least a fitting honor.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#39 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-24, 09:38

We have shown: AKxx Q ATx AJTxx or similar.

With two or more hearts, we would just just raise. We can almost underwrite 3 but do not want to overstress our support. 3 also keeps 3NT in the game when pard has xx ATxxxx Jxx Kx. Partner has bid correctly in jumping to 4 and it was careless to leave him stewing there when righty advertised four trump tricks.

#40 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-December-24, 09:38

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-December-23, 09:03, said:

South
1C - 1H

with my special follow-ups :
South
A Q x x x ........ J x
void ................ A 10 8 x x x x
A K ................ x x x
A Q J x x x ..... K

1C - 1H
2S! - 2NT! ( asks clarification )
??
... 3C = no 4s, no 3h; just long
... 3D ( other minor ) = 4+s, no 3h
... 3H = no 4s but have 3h
... 3S = have 4s and 3h

After:
3D! - 3H
3S ( 5s/6c ) - 4S
pass
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users