BBO Discussion Forums: San Francisco Nationals Partners, Roommates, Fun Times - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

San Francisco Nationals Partners, Roommates, Fun Times For postings on roommates, partners, general meet and greet in SF

#1 User is offline   tjtalent 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-October-20, 11:42

I hope this is ok to start this thread here for postings related to the San Franciso nationals Nov. 22 - Dec. 2, 2012, envisioning this BBO forum as a convenient and simple place for people to make connections on partners, roommates, meeting up with BBO acquaintances, setting up get togethers, dinner outings to nice restaurants, etc.

#2 User is offline   tjtalent 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-October-20, 11:56

I will be in SF the whole time and would love to find partners for most days, as well as a roommate for the Marriott Marquis. Also interested to go to nice restaurants in SF, especially would like a repeat visit to the incredible Gary Danko's - expensive but fabulous. Re partners - I have about 1300 points, prefer 2/1. Re roommate - I have a room reserved for the whole time Nov. 22 - Dec. 3 at the Marriot Marquis, ACBL rate. Would welcome a roommate for some or all of the time. I have platinum status with Marriott, which means a nice room and concierge lounge access. I am a female, non-smoker. If interested to discuss partnering together, rooming together, or going to dinner together, PLEASE EMAIL me at terry@terryljonescpa.com . Looking forward to having a great time in San Francisco!

#3 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-21, 09:47

This seems like a good thread on which to mention being a Vugraph operator :). We'll be doing Vugraph from the final 3 days of the Baze Senior Knockout (probably on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, Nov. 25-27) and from the Semifinals and Finals of the Reisinger on Saturday & Sunday, Dec. 1-2. If you haven't been a Vugraph operator before, but are familiar with playing on BBO, I will be able to train you to be an operator in about 15 minutes. Being an operator is a great way to watch bridge at the top - the Reisinger in particular is usually an incredibly strong event, and I'm excited to be able to show both the Semifinals and Finals this year. If you know that you'll be available for one of the days we're doing Vugraph and would like to be an operator, or if you're at the tournament and find that you are available on any of our Vugraph days, just email me (marteljan at gmail dot com) to let me know and I'll get back to you with times when we still need operators and arrange to train you if that's needed.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-21, 14:21

JanM, on 2012-October-21, 09:47, said:

This seems like a good thread on which to mention being a Vugraph operator :). We'll be doing Vugraph from the final 3 days of the Baze Senior Knockout (probably on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, Nov. 25-27) and from the Semifinals and Finals of the Reisinger on Saturday & Sunday, Dec. 1-2. If you haven't been a Vugraph operator before, but are familiar with playing on BBO, I will be able to train you to be an operator in about 15 minutes. Being an operator is a great way to watch bridge at the top - the Reisinger in particular is usually an incredibly strong event, and I'm excited to be able to show both the Semifinals and Finals this year. If you know that you'll be available for one of the days we're doing Vugraph and would like to be an operator, or if you're at the tournament and find that you are available on any of our Vugraph days, just email me (marteljan at gmail dot com) to let me know and I'll get back to you with times when we still need operators and arrange to train you if that's needed.

Hi Jan, this is Timo (MrAce). I will probably play in Turkish/French team in Reisinger. However my work schedule may interrupt this, if that becomes teh case i will not play. But i am willing to to go there just to see Nafiz and Tokay anyway even if i can't play. If that becomes the case i would love to perform the operator job. Is there a deadline for volunteering ? Anyway, i will let you asap when things get clear. (Do i need to bring my own laptop ? )
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-21, 23:35

MrAce, on 2012-October-21, 14:21, said:

Hi Jan, this is Timo (MrAce). I will probably play in Turkish/French team in Reisinger. However my work schedule may interrupt this, if that becomes teh case i will not play. But i am willing to to go there just to see Nafiz and Tokay anyway even if i can't play. If that becomes the case i would love to perform the operator job. Is there a deadline for volunteering ? Anyway, i will let you asap when things get clear. (Do i need to bring my own laptop ? )

There's no deadline, but of course first come, first served :). If you find you are available, just email me - I check email regularly at NABCs. We have laptops, but speaking for myself, I prefer to use my own - it needs to have BBO installed (the old-fashioned version, not the web version) and have wireless capability.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#6 User is offline   A_zrae_L 

• Pip

Posted 2012-October-31, 13:44

Two items:

1) I am looking for a roommate (host hotel is fine, anything within a mile or two from the playing area is fine either). Male, non-smoker, good personal hygiene. Can adjust to your schedule.

2) Looking for strong competitive partners for Mitchell and Reisinger (will consider switching to NA Swiss if that is your preference). I've got 15+ regional wins, my partner is a Top 75 Canadian masterpoint holder and plays like one as well.

#7 User is offline   sartaj1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-31, 21:02

Can someone please confirm if any pre-qualification is required for the two pair games or is it an open entry ?

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 00:10

sartaj1, on 2012-October-31, 21:02, said:

Can someone please confirm if any pre-qualification is required for the two pair games or is it an open entry ?

The two national pair games have a relatively minimal pre-qualification required. The first pair game (Friday-Saturday) requires that you be an ACBL life master. The second pair games (Tue-Wed-Thur) requires you to have a blue ribbon qualifier, which is basically given for any 1st or 2nd in an open field at a regional (maybe sectional too?) or in a bracketed field where the bracket average per player is more than a certain amount (~1500 MP). I'm not positive, but I think exceptions are usually made for qualified foreign players if they contact the TD and demonstrate they are of the caliber to play.

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 03:57

sartaj1, on 2012-October-31, 21:02, said:

For the LM Pairs:

A player who has equivalent status in a Bridge Organization other than the ACBL and who is a member of the ACBL may request, in writing, an exemption from the requirement to be an ACBL Life Master. Only the Chief Tournament Director or his designee may grant this request.

Contact Butch Campbell (Butch dot Campbell at acbl dot org) to organise this.

If you have played in any LM Pairs in the past, then you don't need to do anything. They will remember you.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 07:32

Likewise for the Blue Ribbon, except that it's more discretionary and the bar is higher:

ACBL members who do not otherwise qualify may request an exemption from the Chief Tournament Director in writing.

That's usually straightforward for decent overseas players - just list a few recent successes and they'll let you play. Any representative international experience will do too.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-November-01, 07:40

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   sartaj1 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-01, 16:27

thanks guys

#12 User is offline   aruns 

• Pip

Posted 2012-November-16, 16:32

A_zrae_L, on 2012-October-31, 13:44, said:

Two items:

1) I am looking for a roommate (host hotel is fine, anything within a mile or two from the playing area is fine either). Male, non-smoker, good personal hygiene. Can adjust to your schedule.

2) Looking for strong competitive partners for Mitchell and Reisinger (will consider switching to NA Swiss if that is your preference). I've got 15+ regional wins, my partner is a Top 75 Canadian masterpoint holder and plays like one as well.

#13 User is offline   aruns 

• Pip

Posted 2012-November-16, 16:33

This is Arun Savara 809-779-8200 from honolulu
If can find partner would be interested in being on your team
try airbnb.com for accomodation options

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users