• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unpleasant situation at the club

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-16, 16:29

We haven't been told how the play progressed before the director call. If there have been two diamond tricks and declarer has shown out, there's no UI from the report of MI.

North knew about the MI as soon as dummy came down. If he wanted to let his partner in on it, why did he wait until trick 6?

#42 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-16, 20:10

View Postbarmar, on 2012-November-16, 10:58, said:

Depends on whether you're Jewish or Christian.

Old Testament: An eye for an eye
New Testament: Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Also, turn the other cheek.

Actually, that's Hammurabi as the "eye for an eye" and it's the Jewish bible that's "don't do unto others what you would find hateful done to you."
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#43 User is offline   Sjoerds 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:TD

Posted 2012-November-17, 09:51

View Postahydra, on 2012-November-16, 12:29, said:

You mean North is passing UI to South? This was my opinion also - he should wait until the end of the hand - but can an experienced TD tell us whether a TD call and the ensuing discussion legally constitutes UI? My guess is that it doesn't, but that does open up a few possibilities for using TD calls to pass information...

It is important for a TD to avoid UI when he arrives. When North says "that there has been misinformation" and TD sees that they are still playing he must be accurate and take North from the table.
Even his first statement might be UI for south. Unfortunately the TD sometimes helps to make things worse when he stays at the table and the discussion starts. :blink:
Of course you have to call the TD when your information was not correct; but if you figured out that the opps haven given incorrect information it is not appropriate/allowed to tell your partner during the play. Not even when you try to use the TD for this purpose :P .

#44 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-17, 09:56

South describes himself as a militant atheist :-)

#45 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 20:29

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-November-16, 20:10, said:

Actually, that's Hammurabi as the "eye for an eye" and it's the Jewish bible that's "don't do unto others what you would find hateful done to you."

I thought that too about the "Golden Rule", but my internet searching kept coming up with Sermon on the Mount which is New Testament. Can you point me to the Old Testament verse? (It is, of course, a sentiment expressed in many other beliefs.)

#46 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 22:18

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-17, 20:29, said:

I thought that too about the "Golden Rule", but my internet searching kept coming up with Sermon on the Mount which is New Testament. Can you point me to the Old Testament verse? (It is, of course, a sentiment expressed in many other beliefs.)

It's actually Talmudic which isn't in the books of the old testament, but is the commentary. I believe the quote is attributed to Rabbi Hillel.

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#47 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-17, 22:20

View PostTimG, on 2012-November-17, 20:29, said:

Just checked, it's in the Sabbat section of the talmud, first discussed by Hillel around 50 BCE.

#48 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-November-18, 22:05

OK, but I was correct about "turn the other cheek" being New Testament, wasn't I?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users