BBO Discussion Forums: Just when you think it's going well. - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just when you think it's going well.

#21 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-September-21, 16:38

I like the following after 1-1:
1 Major shows 5+ and 16+ HCP, Partner will have 4 cards if holding singleton or void (4441 54xy 64ab, etc. where 5+ card suit is a minor). Forcing one round.
Then responder bids as follows:
1 = 0-5 HCP and 0-3 s
1NT = 0-5 HCP (Promises 4+ over opener's s. Intended as forcing.
(Kaplan Inversion right sides majors. Switch back to natural if you like).
2 = 6-7 HCP 0-2 M cards, not 5+ cards in OM.
2 = 6-7 3 card raise.
2M = 2-3 HCP, 3+ card raise
2 OM = 5+ cards, 6-7 HCP denies 3+ card fit for M.
3//OM = mini splinter: 0/1 with 4-5 HCP and 4 trumps.
3M = 4-5 HCP and 4+ card raise
2N = 6-7 HCP Balanced raise. Opener new suits are asking bids (epsilon or suit control ask)
4//OM = mini splinter: 0/1 with 4-5 HCP and 4 trumps.
4M = Preempt raise 5+ Trumps and a 0/1 somewhere, with one outside .

This hand is a clear 2N. Partner will take one more bid and you will insist on game (your 5th trump told you to do this).
We avoid jumping to 4M as partner is unlimited.

Aside - the older Italian Ask Jump rebid by opener (zeta) could be made on a 4-card suit. We avoid that. Too much space consumed. This means the 1M rebid is unlimited. Work relly well. Now we use Zeta only when we need to know partner's exact holding in our suit.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-September-21, 21:46

The immediate 4S bid is poor. 4S should at least have some ruffing value. What did your partner hold?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-September-22, 07:05

I want to play game...and see no reason to not try.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-24, 02:16

View Postmr1303, on 2012-September-21, 06:55, said:

If anyone has any suggestions as to better kit we could use after 1C 1D bananas auctions, please suggest it.

Here's an idea. You play 1 as 11-15 with 5+ spades, right? And 1 - 1; 1 is 16-20ish with 5+ spades. Well you could just play exactly the same system for both but with 5 hcp transferred from Opener to Responder for the second. Then a 2NT response will probably show a good spade raise. Easy. For anything more complicated it would probably be necessary to know what you use 2NT and 3 rebids for now. Most likely one of these could be absorbed into something else in order to free up the bid to show the super-max spade raise that cannot splinter.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-26, 22:29

View Postmr1303, on 2012-September-21, 06:55, said:

If anyone has any suggestions as to better kit we could use after 1C 1D bananas auctions, please suggest it.

Partner passed 3S and made 2 overtricks, although I maintain she should have bid 4 on her hand. I did feel at the time that 3S was a slight underbid.

It was matchpoints rather than IMPs if that makes a difference.

I play something simple over 1C 1D 1S, 2N shows a GF 4+ card raise then opener can ask for shortness (3C), or show shortness (3D/3H/3S). The GF raise does not promise shortness as it might be based on a hand like this.

Of course, opener will usually just bid 4S over 2N and no information is leaked, but if there is a slam you will have plenty of room to show/deny shortnesses and then cuebid. This is basically no memory work, no information leakage, but allows you to show the main features of your hand if there is a slam.

#26 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-26, 22:32

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-September-24, 02:16, said:

Here's an idea. You play 1 as 11-15 with 5+ spades, right? And 1 - 1; 1 is 16-20ish with 5+ spades. Well you could just play exactly the same system for both but with 5 hcp transferred from Opener to Responder for the second. Then a 2NT response will probably show a good spade raise. Easy. For anything more complicated it would probably be necessary to know what you use 2NT and 3 rebids for now. Most likely one of these could be absorbed into something else in order to free up the bid to show the super-max spade raise that cannot splinter.

I find using 3x as a good 6 card suit and nothing else to be useful (KQJxxx AQxxxx etc) for getting to 3Ns that could otherwise not be bid. I have a way to show 6-7 and a 6 card suit also, but this hand type is a lot different since if partner has the other honor you probably want to be in 3N. The main priority after 1C 1D 1S must still be getting to light games, I think using 4 bids on slam hands would be inefficient and prioritizing thigs wrong.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users