• You cannot reply to this topic

Hand Evaluation Stolen from another thread

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-September-06, 17:28

I have stolen this hand from an earlier thread and swapped the opening hand.

What I want to know is how do I evaluate this hand after the double and partner splinters 4?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#2 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 02:13

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 02:31

5, what else ?

Signing off in game is extremely pessimistic, bouncing slam is even worse because the guy with the cards is on lead, we wont benefit too often from a mislead if we are missing AK . Asking aces will not tell us which ones pd has...

If pd has something like Jxxx QJxx x AKxx you dont want to play slam, if he has something like Jxxx Kxxx x AKxx slam will depend on how the dias behave, if pd has something like Jxxx Axxx x AQxx you wanna be in slam, Jxxx AQxx x KJxx you wanna be in slam, sometimes pd has 5 card spades which is vital due to T/O DBL by LHO and the fact that we need to take care of those diamonds and if so grandslam is in picture.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-September-07, 05:08

If I proceed, it would be with 5 , this is easy. But- shall I?
Of course, there are too many slams which make if partner has a heart control and 5 level safety may not be 100 % but likely enough to make a try.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-September-07, 13:22

View PostCodo, on 2012-September-07, 05:08, said:

If I proceed, it would be with 5 , this is easy. But- shall I?
Of course, there are too many slams which make if partner has a heart control and 5 level safety may not be 100 % but likely enough to make a try.

% 100 safety ? Of course not, but 5 level is probably safer than you driving to work and back everyday safely and it is not your life that you put on the line at 5 level :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-September-07, 13:28

I'd also press towards slam with 5

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-September-07, 18:04

After the X I am worried about 2 hearts loosers, I have an Ace and length in the suit partner has splintered in. But as Timo said, signing off is extremely pessimistic. If I don't find any heart controls, I could still signoff and make 5. If I'm too high it woouldn't be the first, or last time.

OTOH, I drove to slam today after partner opened 1 :)

Then failed to find the winning play :( No other pair bid the slam.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#8 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-September-07, 20:44

Would be good to know your splinter agreements: 9-11? 12-14/5? Do you promise 2nd round control or better in the unbids?

For the weaker variety, cuebidding 5 seems right. For the stronger variety including the side suit control agreement, 4N is plausible. We are missing only 2 Keys and partner rates to have KQ in .
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-08, 05:16

A bit offtopic, but I prefer to use 4m bids as fit bids after double.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users