BBO Discussion Forums: Cellulose plastic cards with duplicate boards - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cellulose plastic cards with duplicate boards Kem, Copag, Modiano

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-August-22, 12:54

Im wondering if these cards (in the bridge size) would go well with duplicate boards ? Did anyone bought some online in Canada ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 13:24

Plastic cards generally last longer. We have a few decks at club; I am not fond of them for bridge though, they tend be slick and stay that way. Fine for poker where you hold far fewer cards.

I don't see that duplicate boards make any difference one way or the other.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 13:45

I'm not positive but believe those were in play at the recent Montreal Regional and I didn't like them at all.

Just the friction/feel between them caused me to take a lot longer to sort my hands.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 16:36

View Postbillw55, on 2012-August-22, 13:24, said:

I don't see that duplicate boards make any difference one way or the other.

I would be more concerned with how the dealing machine would handle them. It might be sensible to get a couple of packs and try them out.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-August-22, 17:34

The boards for the auto duplicate machine have slack pockets, even the standard cards wiggle in them, I think some of the plastic cards are thinner than coated cards so it might be a problems.

I have metals boards and old and thick cards almost get stuck into them so very thin plastic cards are possibly a nice fit for those boards.

You get some nice plastics cards for 6$ per deck and in canada regular cards are 2.5 $ per deck so that why im wondering if plastic cards are worthwhile.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-22, 19:00

View Postbenlessard, on 2012-August-22, 17:34, said:

The boards for the auto duplicate machine have slack pockets, even the standard cards wiggle in them, I think some of the plastic cards are thinner than coated cards so it might be a problems.

I don't think the issue is with the boards (many duplication machines don't require that you use special boards), but with the mechanism that slides the cards from the hopper into the slots. If the cards are the wrong texture or thickness, maybe it could grab more or less than one card at a time.

But since there are so many kinds of cards, I hope that the designers of these machines have made them reliable for most designs.

#7 User is offline   Heron 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-August-22, 23:07

I'm not sure about cellulose plastic per se, but when I was playing a lot of bridge in the US in the 90's plastic cards were de rigeur at the bigger clubs and I liked the feel of them a lot. I don't remember them being particularly slippery, and they fit in the standard aluminum boards no problem.

I gather they were more expensive but longer-lasting, though the failure mode was sudden cracking (sometimes in half) rather than just getting tatty. Still, until they blew to pieces they were really nice.

I'm surprised to see this thread as I'd previously just assumed that major events (NABC etc.) would still use them, but a brief look around the web shows just the one kind of ACBL cards. What happened?

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-August-23, 08:09

I remember those cards, I think Kem was the maker of them as well.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users