• You cannot reply to this topic

what is your choice? bidding

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-28, 17:01

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-June-28, 10:32, said:

Opposite what hand? 18-19 balanced with spade stopper = 1NT not X, except maybe Ax. Even if you don't totally agree with that I think it's a way more common concern that we just want to find the right suit while still showing some values just in case. My partners can certainly be 4-4 in the minors.

I think hands like Kx AQxx Qxx AKxx should double.

Are you making a distinction between pass-dbl-2 and pass-dbl-2NT? I think 2 shows almost exactly this - I can't have four clubs, or I'd have supported immediately.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 17:33

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-June-28, 08:12, said:

This is an incredibly obvious pass. You are so happy when partner passes it out. If he doesn't then you can bid strongly and he will have an idea what type of hand you have.

And Phil, 1 1 P P X P 2NT!

True, you should read this article on bridgewinners, the authors completely agrees with you!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-28, 21:07

I am with the pass group---with it being so easy to show my hand if p balances with x
a direct bid of 1n should be made with a weaker hand with (gasp) an actual spade
stop. Trying to cater to p constantly bidding 1n and never having the opps suit stopped
makes bidding decisions impossible. The hand does indeed look like a 1n bid but it has
a flaw no spade stopper and thats enough to not bid 1n.

#24 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-29, 02:22

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-June-28, 16:29, said:

Pass is truly easy. Pass then 2 or pass then 3 will probably cure partner of reopening with a double with 2-4-3-4 and 12-14.

So you think you make a living by letting opponents play undoubled at the one-level when you hold a doubleton in their suit with opening values in the reopening position?
Certainly not my experience.

Weak Notrumpers don't get to gloat this time. They wouldn't get the chance on the given hands to defend 1S and competent opps won't be bidding 2S; plus, they would have the same issues if 1S came back around and they held partner's king for a 15-count.

I do not get this. If you insist that a 1NT rebid shows 18-19 when playing strong notrump, weak Notrumpers will reopen with 1NT holding 15-17, a clear advantage to them. They likely reach 2NT when they have 18-19 but these hands are much rarer and who says 2NT will be too high?
A clear win for the weak Notrumpers.

Rainer Herrmann

#25 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-29, 02:37

View Postgnasher, on 2012-June-28, 17:01, said:

I think hands like Kx AQxx Qxx AKxx should double.

Trouble is that this hand wants to declare and playing from the right side is likely worth one or more tricks.
I rather play a risky 2NT from this side than 1NT from partner's, even at IMPs, but particularly at matchpoints.
The biggest advantage of bidding notrumps immediately comes when 9 tricks are in sight, not that unlikely when you are that strong, even though partner passed over 1.
This is particularly true if you do not play negative free bids in partner's position.

Rainer Herrmnn

#26 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-29, 04:37

View Postrhm, on 2012-June-29, 02:22, said:

So you think you make a living by letting opponents play undoubled at the one-level when you hold a doubleton in their suit with opening values in the reopening position?
Certainly not my experience.

No, I think responder passing the 1S overcall and then cuebidding 2S or jumping to 3C with the OP hand is a hard way to make a living, precisely because opener should be able to make a reopening double with 2-(43)-4 and not fear his own partner's incongruous actions. We might be separated by the common language we are using.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users