BBO Discussion Forums: Follow Up to Intermediate Two Diamonds? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Follow Up to Intermediate Two Diamonds?

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-June-29, 07:50

Some friends of mine are playing a somewhat unusual style of Strong Club where a 2 opening shows 11-15 HCP with six diamonds. Apparently, this can feature a 4-card major. I am not vouching for the convention. However, they had a sequence to 3NT last night where they both had a four-card major, and yet no one ever mentioned this fact (despite both having an arguable opportunity to do so). When the auction was over (result was fine), I noted that their approach probably needs some means of locating possible 4-4 major fits. (They always ask me for suggestions, so I was not being rude.)

Anyway, when they asked me how to do this, I was stumped.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of opening and how to unwind a possible 4-4 fit?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-29, 08:02

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-June-29, 07:50, said:

Some friends of mine are playing a somewhat unusual style of Strong Club where a 2 opening shows 11-15 HCP with six diamonds. Apparently, this can feature a 4-card major. I am not vouching for the convention. However, they had a sequence to 3NT last night where they both had a four-card major, and yet no one ever mentioned this fact (despite both having an arguable opportunity to do so). When the auction was over (result was fine), I noted that their approach probably needs some means of locating possible 4-4 major fits. (They always ask me for suggestions, so I was not being rude.)

Anyway, when they asked me how to do this, I was stumped.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of opening and how to unwind a possible 4-4 fit?

Sam and I play the same opening. Our continuations are like this:

2M = 4+ in major, forcing one round, at least invitational
.... 2S over 2H = natural 4-card suit
.... 2N = minimum hand with at most doubleton M (now 3C is GF artificial continuations as 3D-3N below, 3D/3M are NF invites)
.... 3C = 3-card support for M (now 3D/3M are NF invites, 4D is slam try in diams, other suits are cues for M)
.... 3D = GF, maximum, club control, at most 2M
.... 3H over 2S = natural 4-card suit with max values
.... 3M = Hx in M with max values (not a normal "raise"), GF
.... 3N = maximum, stopper in OM, no club control, less than 2M
.... Jumps to 3S/4C/4D/4H over 2H or to 4C/4D/4H/4S over 2S = 4-card support showing max/min and high/low shortness
2N = constructive or better diamond raise
3C = natural and GF
3D = preemptive raise
3M = single suited GF with a very good suit
3NT = to play

Obviously we can miss major fits when responder is too weak to invite; this is a general problem with playing intermediate 2m openings, but you get a lot in terms of preemptive and descriptive value in exchange. Note that even if 2m denied a 4M you could have this problem on 5-3 fits (and probably even 6-3 fits, assuming you don't play 2M drop-dead which creates a huge number of other structural issues). However, we don't really miss major fits on game-going hands, and we have managed to also check back for side-suit controls (which tend to be more important when we are bidding 3NT hoping to run a diamond suit, rather than on two flat hands).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users