BBO Discussion Forums: 2C=4MM 12-15 HCP or a weaker variant - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2C=4MM 12-15 HCP or a weaker variant Does this have a name?

#1 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge...some other things too I suppose.

Posted 2012-June-01, 08:25

I am looking for an opening to use for 2 and am thinking about using this or a weaker preemptive variant. The bid shows an intermediate 44xx hand. The probability of such a hand in the 12-15 HCP range is 1.32%, which is not very high. If the range is adjusted to 11-15 HCP, we increase our opening chance to 1.79% (Edit: If 18-19 balanced hands are included, the opening rate goes up to near 3% using 11-15 HCP.)

OTOH, a range of 6-10 HCP is 2.22%.

What are your thoughts about a bid like this?

A) Overall effectiveness
B) HCP range to use
C) Do you know the name of a similar convention?
D) Better alternatives to use at 2C?

I will post my reply scheme below also for those interested. I thank you for reading.

Edit: Adjusted 2H/2S/3H/3S

2 - 4/4 / 11(12-15) OR 18-19 NT
2: negative OR invite to 4/3NT
2: negative OR 2NT sign-off
2: invite to 4 (denies )
2N: feature ask
3: sign-off (6+)
3: sign-off (6+)
3: weaker invite (+)
3: stronger invite (+)
3N: sign-off
4: splinter
4: splinter
4: sign-off
4: sign-off

2-2N-??
3: MIN 11(12-13) 4/5 (4414/4405)
3: MIN 11(12-13) 4/5 (4441/4450)
3: MIN 11(12-13) (balanced)
3: MAX (14-15) (balanced) OR (18-19) (balanced) (3NT asks)
3N: MAX (14-15) 4 (4414)
4: MAX (14-15) 4 (4441)
4: MAX (14-15) 5 (4405)
4: MAX (14-15) 5 (4450)

I am sure these can be improved a lot.
The American Swede of BBF...I eat my meatballs with blueberries, okay?
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

"Did your mother really marry a Mr Head and name her son Richard?" - jillybean

#2 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 08:51

If I make the 2C bid absolutely forcing and include 18-19 balanced (no 5cM) into the bid, the odds of opening raise by about 1.15%. Going from 1.79% to nearly 3%.

There will need to be an adjustment to the 2N responses to include this.
Junior - Always looking for new partners to improve my play with..I have my fair share of brilliancy and blunders.

#3 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 10:01

I managed to find this, but have had no luck regarding stronger variants...

http://www.chrisryal.../two/hearts.htm

#4 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-01, 16:15

You've got 2 available to ask for the longer major, so it seems a shame not to include more shapes than just 44xx. Especially as a preempt, having 54/45/55 there too will significantly up the odds. I hear 2 makes for a good majors preempt, but have not played it myself. Here's a write up on Ekren 2 - majors weak or strong balanced.

http://www.chrisryal...it.htm#ekren-2c

#5 User is offline   rbforster 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 17:18

I don't find it hard to handle opening hands with 44xx shapes in standard or precision. You find your major fits pretty well opening 1m when partner responds naturally.

As for other options, my current use for 2 is clubs + major, preemptive. You can play this as 4/4+ either way which is super common (most 4432's qualify) and super aggressive. For regulatory reasons I play 5+ clubs and 4+ major. This latter version is about twice as common as a 6 card weak two and safer on law level grounds, etc. The former is something like 8-10x the frequency of a normal weak two, but is somewhat less safe in terms of expected fit.

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 18:09

If 2C: 11-15 4M4M or 18-19 bal is needed to
fill a slot that your opening 1-bids handle
poorly, what is that 1-bid scheme?
If 11-15 is a preempt, what of 7-11?
I'm hard pressed to see why this could be
a better system of openings.
I have a 2C: 6+good clubs and seeking eg.
C-Kx to run if partner has some missing stop.
Trying for a run tricks + stops 3NT.
It asks show a M-stop with 2M;
2NT if both M-stops.
Again pressed to see your intent for that 2C.

#7 User is offline   RunemPard 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 04:38

My thoughts are to use a constructive bid at the 2 level that removes a level of bidding from the opponents. I am still debating trying the preemptive option as well. rbforster made a good point as well, by adding 5/4, 4/5, 5/5 to the mix, the odds go up to 3.5% not including the 18-19 balanced. I am just playing around w/ this idea currently, might see how it works on the table.

#8 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-June-04, 00:18

If you have 2 completely free you can play Brad Twos. Every 2-level opening shows that and spades, at least 5-4 either way (and less than an opening hand). 2 is just spades.

Why is this good?

1. The opponent in direct seat never knows if he is going to get another chance to bid, unlike multi two diamonds (he will), or plain weak twos (he won't). This means he might rescue us if we have a total misfit, or not compete when he is supposed to, and his partner does not have a bid, so it gets passed out.

2. You have two chances to find a suit to play in - you are very likely to have a fit. And unlike playing multi two diamonds where a major suit 2-opening shows that and a minor, you only have to go to the two-level, not the 3-level, when you don't have a fit in spades. You also get to know what the minor is in advance, so you don't end up at the 3-level with no fit at all!

3. In every case, if you have a spade fit, you get to compete to the top of the two-level which is always good.

4. If pard passes and is not vul, you can try some 1 opening or overcalling psyches now and then, knowing he is extremely unlikely to hold four spades (and if he does, he has a bad flat hand so he is unlikely to bid 3).

5. The corollory (how do you spell that) of the above, is that you don't want to open Brad Twos in 3rd seat anymore (a spade fit is unlikely, and if the opps have spades you have told them how to play trumps). So now 2 is clubs and hearts, and 2 is diamonds and hearts, and 2 is just hearts - you can explore every possibility of finding a 2-level fit, in any seat!

6. You can play transfer responses to a 2 opening. These are awesomely good (although you could do this with any system that has a weak 2 opening).

If you like this, I can tell you the enquiries for when partner has a good hand, if you like.
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users