Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

opponents sought

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-30, 13:22

Atul and I would like to widen our base of opponents on BBO. We rate ourselves as fairly advanced and are looking for advanced/expert opponents. We usually play late (like 9-11pm PST) when most folks are in bed. Though this isn't the usual forum to put this, it would be nice to play against other nonnatural systems (and I hope that opponents playing unusual methods would be forgiving of ours). If you're interested, I'd suggest putting foobar and straube in your friends list and challenging us for a game when you happen to see us. Thanks

#2 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-May-30, 17:36

I'll try to be online tonight (antonylee-Grommet1). We play something that vaguely looks like a Polish club.

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 21:04

antonylee, on 2012-May-30, 17:36, said:

I'll try to be online tonight (antonylee-Grommet1). We play something that vaguely looks like a Polish club.

cool. I'll look for you.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-June-03, 08:05

Will add you to my list. Often on late at night, and enjoy experimenting, though not often do I have a partner sharing my tendencies.

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-03, 21:51

Siegmund, on 2012-June-03, 08:05, said:

Will add you to my list. Often on late at night, and enjoy experimenting, though not often do I have a partner sharing my tendencies.

That's cool. You can play something vanilla, too.

Btw, antonylee kicked our butts the other day and we'll have to have another chance at them.

#6 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-June-04, 00:06

Hi, I'd love to find some opponents - we always play against GIBs since we have gotten sick of people accusing us of cheating when we alert (they don't realise partner can't see the alert), and people accusing us of cheating when we don't alert (they think we are psyching, and chatting on the phone to end up in the right contract). But then we get an easy ride with the GIBs, since they think our bids are natural, and then lead the wrong thing, or don't compete when they should (if we have bid their nine-card fit). I will add you two to our friends list - if you play late at night, that might be during the day for us. We are Quantumcat and Redgrover.
I Transfers

#7 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 00:41

Siegmund, it sounds like you and I need to team up and play against straube and foobar. I'm tired of random pick-up partners and beating down GIB, and learning a thing or two about the Polish Club would be good for me. I know the basics, but I'm sure there are plenty of subtleties and a few common treatments that I don't know about.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#8 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 01:26

chasetb, on 2012-June-04, 00:41, said:

Siegmund, it sounds like you and I need to team up and play against straube and foobar. I'm tired of random pick-up partners and beating down GIB, and learning a thing or two about the Polish Club would be good for me. I know the basics, but I'm sure there are plenty of subtleties and a few common treatments that I don't know about.

Good. I'll put you and Quantumcat on my friends list. Hope it doesn't matter, but we play a strong club relay system (not a Polish club).

#9 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-04, 01:38

You could add JavaBean and Mbodell to the list. We play most Tuesday nights, usually the ACBL mini's from 8 pm PT - to 11 pm PT but we are certainly up for playing opps either in team matches or just pair matches. We play a GCC legal home brew strong club TOSR based system with variable mini/weak nt w/ Keri.

#10 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-June-04, 07:08

Standing offer to the rest of the thread too, add myself and madmike12. We're probably not super timezone compatible with Straube, but we play a highly artificial 2/1 GF system with canape overcalls and a bunch of other brown sticker garbage. I have no idea if that counts as non natural, but we have an FD card for it. We don't mind other artifical systems and have defences in place, but we're not up to the same standard as some of the other pairs in this thread, we're more a solid intermediate pair.

Quantumcat, on 2012-June-04, 00:06, said:

we have gotten sick of people accusing us of cheating when we alert (they don't realise partner can't see the alert)

This always makes me laugh.

#11 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 14:23

Anyone on for tonight (around 9pm PST)?

#12 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 15:02

antonylee, on 2012-June-06, 14:23, said:

Anyone on for tonight (around 9pm PST)?

almost sure I'll be on tonight. just sent an email to pd about this.

#13 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 17:43

foobar says yes, but you have to take it easy on us.

#14 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 02:52

Our turn to get thrashed :-) bah.

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 10:14

Once I get settled (this past couple of months have been Just Crazy), I should have a partner for the odd game as well. We'd have to pre-arrange, as I don't tend to just "drop in" to BBO. What you'd get for system is likely a tossup, too; but the most likely would be B&M Precision or mildly updated K/S.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-08, 10:35

mycroft, on 2012-June-08, 10:14, said:

Once I get settled (this past couple of months have been Just Crazy), I should have a partner for the odd game as well. We'd have to pre-arrange, as I don't tend to just "drop in" to BBO. What you'd get for system is likely a tossup, too; but the most likely would be B&M Precision or mildly updated K/S.

Sounds good. I'll add you to the friends list, but pre-arranging is fine.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users