BBO Discussion Forums: Polish Club with Weak Openings - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish Club with Weak Openings What are your thoughts on this system?

#41 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-June-01, 11:49

Is this fair use?

BridgeMatters: Why do you think it has shifted? And what does it feel like to now be in the minority?

Chip Martel: I’m not sure why that is the case. I don't know enough about the history. Certainly, weak-NT systems were more of the in thing when I was starting to play bridge. Later, other developments affected the popularity of the weak NT. For example, weak-NT systems don’t fit that well with strong club systems, where something like a 14-16 NT range works better and allows you to open lighter hands.

or...

http://www.bridgemat....com/martel.pdf

#42 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-June-01, 12:43

View Postbarmar, on 2012-June-01, 11:35, said:

I replaced the interview with the link in the earlier post. I hope that's acceptable to you.

Yes it is, and feel free to quote the highlights, individual paragraphs etc., such as

BridgeMatters: What do you think of the 10-12 notrump openings?

Eric Rodwell: I am relatively timid about playing them—I like to play them white vs. red [i.e. not vulnerable vs. vulnerable]. They are definitely too dangerous vulnerable . . . I know there are a few intrepid souls who play them at any vulnerability.

BridgeMatters: Why don’t you like the 10-12 notrump white vs. white?

Eric Rodwell: . . . I like them more for IMPs than matchpoints. At matchpoints, it is a frequency thing, and you are burying too many of your fits. ... The weaker the opponents, the more effective bids like the 10-12 notrump are going to be.

--- ---

Btw a bunch of years ago, Rodwell played against a 10-12 all-the-time semi-pro pair (semi-pro means they are paid to play, but have regular jobs too) in a Vandy match. After the match he went with them to the bar, where he peppered them with system questions. Rodwell is always considering what works best.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#43 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-01, 13:15

Glen,

So I started wondering what gave you the right to say it was ok to quote individual paragraphs from Bridgematters as opposed to sections of it as I did in my first post.

I figured it out.

Thanks for your work at Bridgematters. I've very much valued particularly the Rodwell interview and the one I discovered just today with Martel.

#44 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-02, 03:02

View Postthe hog, on 2012-May-31, 22:55, said:

A 10-12 NT is a winner, especially NV vs Vul, or even at = Green. Meckwell played it for a long time, and Bocchi and Duboin played it for some years, so Straube's argument is incorrect. Having said this, a 9-13 range is too wide. The problem lies in playing 2NT and going down when the filed is in one, making.

But I really wonder why did they stopped playing it, particularly at favorable, if this is a winner?
Arguing that they as professionals had to remember two structures does not make much sense if you are convinced you have a winning method.

Rainer Herrmann

#45 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-June-02, 06:18

View Postrhm, on 2012-June-02, 03:02, said:

... But I really wonder why did they stopped playing it, particularly at favorable, if this is a winner? ...

According to my studies of Meckwell results at the top levels, the 1NT 10-12 fav was only a marginal winner, while the 14-16 fav with frequent upgrades from 13 was a bigger winner. Likewise Meckwell used Multi but it didn't generate a lot of great results, and they don't play it anymore (though they continue to collect defenses against Multi from unprepared opponents). Rodwell likes to tweak the system for best advantage.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users