• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

raise to grand I

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-25, 20:29

benlessard, on 2012-May-25, 14:46, said:

I jsut want to make sure that you understand that its crazy to make a 6C bid (try for 7) with only 3/8 working cards.

With both black Aces (needed for the grand) it's mandatory.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-May-29, 18:57

Pass

It's just possible that partner has something like xxxx and knows that you are void. Additionally, having a stiff and great cards in the majors, partner might well bid 6 knowing it's got a very good chance of making.

#23 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 00:51

He knows that we are void because we told him we are void?!?
It seems Implausible to me that partner would raise to 6 with one black ace when he had pass and pull available to make a slam try ( this is a fp auction for me). Also on the constructions where partner has xxx x in the minors it's near certain that 7d is cheap against game.
Not sure I would be brave enough to do it the table though.
Also do not understand this partnership harmony. I assume that partner will think I am trying to get the best possible score, so why will he be upset if it doesn't work?
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 01:00

benlessard, on 2012-May-25, 14:46, said:

Maybe im not on the same planet but sfter opener showed a void (its in their suit so 3D is a splinter and 4D is a void) there are 8 working cards.

I disagree with you that 4 showed a void. You are making assumptions about the differences between 3 and 4 bids. I think pd can have a lot of hands with 2 aces and one of them being ace.

But lets accept that pd knew we are void in for the sake of argument. And he also holds both remaining Aces and bids 6 only ? And lets accept this too (just to please you) are you really making grand ? Dont you have any concerns about suit when RHO bid minors ? Or do you believe pd not only has to hold both remaining aces but also heart Q ?

Axxxx
Txxx
Jxx
A

FYI, i personally play 3 over 1NT for big hands and long hearts ( forcing in my suit - self splinter ) Some people play it fit and splinter but a light splinter etc etc. What you wrote about 4 showing void is not what you think it is for everyone.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 08:22

It doesnt seem to me that opener has shown a monster hand here. This is a "potentially contested auction" where partner should try to make the bid that will leave us well positioned over 5d when he has a void diamond and forsees the likely outcome. KJxx AKxxxx - Qxx is already plenty for 4d imo. Partner leaping to 6H with the trump ace and no club control is impossible. The danger is that he has a club singleton. Axxxxx Qx xxxx x for example, should probably leap to slam. If this is partners hand 7S is could be good sac against 6 diamonds!! :)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#26 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-30, 09:14

phil_20686, on 2012-May-30, 08:22, said:

Axxxxx Qx xxxx x for example, should probably leap to slam. If this is partners hand 7S is could be good sac against 6 diamonds!! :)
Pretty close to what partner actually had, she had Axxxxx Q10xx QJ x, even with that hand we had 4 defensive tricks to their diamond contract.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users