Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A TRIBUTE TO "GEE" AN UNFORGETTABLE CHARACTER

#1 User is offline   BacciB 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-19, 14:06

GERARD M. COHEN...Inventor of LIO, a unique bridge system; a memorable bridge player and he was my friend.

Last week "Gee" passed away due to a massive heart attack. Many of us are so sad as he filled our BBO hours with a mixture of awe, anger, fun and rage. Yes, he was able to evoke all those emotions from his specs. Some followed him 24/7 for years and years for whatever reason.

You might say he was even an entertainer of sorts.

I knew the fun part of Gee as well as the caring and kind side. The part that stands out for the fun side is when he played with me and two others in a closed room with no specs. We laughed together until our sides hurt. I also enjoyed the corny remarks he would make that would lighten up the, sometimes tense, kib chat. He was multilingual, knowledgeable about a lot of things and a creative man. I only regret I never heard him play the piano.

As far as the care and kind dimension, besides the way he was towards me, came when we both met a player from a small, impoverished country. The man had two children, a wife and not much money to clothe or feed them. Gee and I offered to assist this gentleman in any way that would be appropriate. Because of his pride, the man turned us down.

Gee was actually disappointed that we would not be able to soften the burden this man carried.

On top of everything else, I will remember the bridge lessons he gave me. People told me not to listen to anything he said; however I will tell you that in the couple of hours I spent with him, I learned more than the 10 hours I spent with another "so called" BBO bridge teacher.

Right before Gee disappeared from BBO, one of the last things he said to me was, "Stick with me kid, we'll get your bridge on the straight and narrow.

"Stick With Me Kid"...an expression I never expected to hear from Gee. And, now that he is gone, I will never hear it again.

If only the beautiful comments I'm hearing now since he passed, could have been said to him when he was alive. People that I would never expect have messaged me how much they already miss him. He had many more friends and admirers than he knew.

"Unforgettable" Gee that's "what you are."

BACCIB...miss you my friend

#2 User is offline   ziahyder 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 18:29

For a short while that I had known him, I found him to be caring, a person who could laugh with others, and made himself the target of his own jokes
He will be missed dearly

with Fond Memories,
Zia Hyder

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-20, 18:55

I knew him only by occasional kibbing but he was no doubt a character. It does not surprise me at all that those who knew him found him to be kind and generous.
I hope there will always be a place in the world for kind and generous eccentrics.
That was a fine note from BACCIB.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users