Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good-Bad?

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-April-18, 13:51

I don't play good-bad, so I'm trying to understand these auctions.

Last weekend at teams:

One table:

The other:

A few questions. At both tables, south decided she was too good for a direct 3D, so the plan was to bid 2N-3N. What is the difference between 3N and 2N-3Y-3N?

At both tables, north decided he was too good to bid a passable 3D over 2N. But in this auction, can't you bid like 3C and then bid again over 3D? What's the difference between a jump over 2N, and a 3C-3D-4D/5D?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-April-18, 13:59

View Postwyman, on 2012-April-18, 13:51, said:

I don't play good-bad, so I'm trying to understand these auctions.

Last weekend at teams:

One table:

The other:

A few questions. At both tables, south decided she was too good for a direct 3D, so the plan was to bid 2N-3N. What is the difference between 3N and 2N-3Y-3N?

At both tables, north decided he was too good to bid a passable 3D over 2N. But in this auction, can't you bid like 3C and then bid again over 3D? What's the difference between a jump over 2N, and a 3C-3D-4D/5D?

Not sure I understand either. Most of what I know involves 2NT as the ostensibly weaker call.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-April-18, 14:01

View Postkenrexford, on 2012-April-18, 13:59, said:

Not sure I understand either. Most of what I know involves 2NT as the ostensibly weaker call.

2N is the ostensibly weaker call, but direct 3D is NF, so I guess you can keep bidding after 2N-3Y...
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-18, 14:32

View Postwyman, on 2012-April-18, 13:51, said:

I don't play G/B, but surely 3C is to play opposite a minimum opening hand with 5-5 in the minors.

#5 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-18, 14:35

Further to the other posters, the way I play GB2NT is for North to bid 3 with hands that do not want partner to pass 3 with 5-4 or 5-5 shape, it doesn't show extras.

I believe this is the way Lawrence discussed the convention in his competitive auctions book.

I also play that a rebid of 3+ show good hands with spade support, leaving a direct 3 bid as a non-forcing pre-emptive raise. So for us, 2NT then 3NT is frivolous, 2NT then 4-bids are cue bids as part of a serious slam try. It also means that 2NT then action later if the opponents compete further confirms spades as trumps. I do not know if this style is standard, but it seems to work well.

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-April-19, 03:52

If you want to play good /bad here, may I suggest you play transfer lebensohl instead? There are many variations, I prefer a variant in which a direct call in the highest bid suit below their suit is invitational, and a transfer to opener's suit is either weak or strong. Here that would mean:

2NT = clubs, any strength.
3C = diamonds, either weak or GF.
3D = invitational with diamonds.

More interesting is an auction like 1D - 1S - Dbl - 2S:

2NT = clubs any strength or weak with diamonds.
3C = invitational or better with diamonds.
3D = weak or GF with hearts.
3H = invitational with hearts.

Compared to G/B you win by often immediately showing your suit. What you lose is the option to show invitational values with clubs.

You can play this on many auctions that go

1X - (..) - nonpass - (2H or 2S),

where nonpass shows a new suit and does not promise invitational values.

Note that if you play Mexican 2D (17-19 or 18-19 balanced) then you lose less by playing G/B or transfer lebensohl by opener.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users