• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In search of 1100

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-24, 07:05

This is a hand I just played with diana_eva. I was wondering how we're supposed to figure out to cash the diamonds. Which one of us should risk it? Should I lay the king on the table, or should diana underlead the A? Or should neither of us get it right even with signalling, and we should be happy with 800?

http://tinyurl.com/7cqxetz
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 07:27

Good problem! After trick 5, South knows that declarer has 5 spades, a heart and 2 diamonds remaining and that leading a club before cashing winners risks a loser on loser play by declarer. She can see that her tricks aren't going anywhere if she leads a small diamond to your hoped for king. Not saying I would have figured this out at the table.

p.s. Nice decision by South to attack hearts from your side by playing CK at trick 3.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 07:31

South can cash A before K to see if you encourage or not. It is not risk free since if declarer has K and worse spades you might be able to play 2 clubs through.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 08:15

South gave mixed suit preference on clubs - winning queen first then continuing Ace then King so he's shown no preference. North would do best to play diamonds first to clear the suit up. The advantage of diamonds being there's no scope for giving partner an issue by leading a low one, unlike in hearts.

Given north didn't do that, it's perfectly reasonable for south to think North's values are more in spades.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users