BBO Discussion Forums: Open with...? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open with...?

Poll: Which route do we plan to take? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

With the hand shown, what do you open?

1. 2NT - showing 20-21 Balanced. (9 votes [20.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

2. 1H - Planning a Game Force 3C rebid (32 votes [74.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.42%

3. 2C - Plenty of Quick Tricks - Only 4 Loser Hand (2 votes [4.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

4. Something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-February-15, 07:58

I would also open 1. Applying HighLow's test I would not be too upset if partner passed 1. This is not the type of hand where I would expect to make game opposite the right 4333 zero count.

I also want to get clubs into the picture, so 1 followed by 3 is my plan.

By the way, a 4-loser hand is a super maximum 1-bid, not a minimum 2 opener.

#22 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-February-17, 18:26

ArtK78, on 2012-February-15, 07:58, said:

This is not the type of hand where I would expect to make game opposite the right 4333 zero count.

That's true, but I would expect to make game opposite a fair number of hands that would pass 1H. Of course many of those hands would pass 2NT, too.

Todd and I were kibitzing this hand and talking after it came up and I was sort of on the fence between 1H and 2NT. In retrospect I think 1H is better, but I think there is a fair amount of risk. Seems like the main risk of opening 2NT is just what Phil and ArtK78 mentioned, missing a superior club contract.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#23 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-February-18, 11:34

:P Good problem hand. I had to think long and hard for the best answer. One = 100 opposite a good partner because (think about it) the other calls more or less give up on 6 as a potential contract.
I got no beef with 2NT. It simplifies the bidding and shows the hand. 2 is a little rich for my blood with this holding.

#24 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-18, 13:08

I dont want xxx Jxx xxxx Qxx passing out 1H, so I'd open 2C planning to bid 2H then 3C since I play kokish, and now I think ive described my hand well.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#25 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-19, 08:08

rduran1216, on 2012-February-18, 13:08, said:

I dont want xxx Jxx xxxx Qxx passing out 1H, so I'd open 2C planning to bid 2H then 3C since I play kokish, and now I think ive described my hand well.

That hand is about the only hand where partner will pass 1 and you probably have 10 tricks. With three card support and 4-5 HCPs, partner usually will come up with a bid (e.g. a forcing 1NT).

If pretty much only the perfect pass will give me 10 tricks, I will not plat partner for the perfect pass. I will assume that when he in fact passes 1, he will not have the perfect hand and we will not have 10 tricks.

Note further, that your perfect hand will not get to 4 after a 2NT opening either. Therefore, opening 2NT would not solve your problem. After a 2 opening, you would get to 4 with your hand. But you would also get to 4 with a lot of hands that shouldn't be in 4, e.g. Qxx Jxx xxxx xxx. (And you will also get to other contracts that you shouldn't be in, e.g. 3NT, 5, 5.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users