• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many cards make a trick?

#1 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-05, 06:17

You are declarer(South) in 4.

You win the opening lead of the 5 and play trumps with East winning the second one. East plays a back, you win in dummy and play a to the Jack and Ace

The trick is quitted and LHO switches to a which you run losing to the hand on the right. Whilst this trick is going on declarer looks puzzled. East now says "When I played my low club and quitted the trick I think I picked up dummies remaining low club and added it to the cards in front of me."

South now says "But that isn’t fair. I led the Club to get some discards but when West led the heart I suddenly realized that there were no clubs in dummy so I ran the heart in the hope the King was with West otherwise I would have risen with the Ace and taken some discards. I didn't realise dummy was a trick short"

How would you rule? Law 67 only seems to cover you adding one of your own cards to a trick not one of the other sides!

Opinions welcome and it is real life not something made up! :D

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-05, 06:58

I would rule under Law 73 and adjust because declarer was deceived by defender's action.

There is some problem describing defender's action as "a voilation of the Proprieties described in this law" but I think the law is intended to apply.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-05, 08:47

I would rule under Law 23 and award an adjusted score. The defender has committed an irregularity under Law 7B3 (touching another player's cards), at the least. This irregularity - concealing one of the opponent's cards - is surely always one that one could reasonably anticipate would damage the other side, thus the application of Law 23 is clear.

#4 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-05, 09:53

RHO has also violated Law 65 - Arrangement of Tricks, which stipulates (among other things) that each player "turns his own card face down". (emphasis mine)

I would thus have no trouble adjusting under Law 23. 11 tricks to declarer.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-05, 11:02

I adjust. If one of the Laws quoted looks relevant, fine, if not there is Law 12A1.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-05, 11:21

Interesting problem. :D

The actual irregularity here is IMO a violation of Law 7B3: "No player shall touch any cards other than his own". As others have suggested, I would rule under Law 23 that East "could have known" that his opponent would be damaged, and adjust accordingly. "No player shall" is a pretty serious prohibition. In a tournament, I would issue a PP. At a club, i would give serious consideration to issuing one, and perhaps only not do so if there was some mitigating factor, like the position of the card in question on the table. I don't think 65 is needed for this ruling, nor do I think that 73 is appropriate.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2012-January-05, 12:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-05, 11:21, said:

The actual irregularity here is IMO a violation of Law 7B3: "No player shall touch any cards other than his own". As others have suggested, I would rule under Law 23 that East "could have known" that his opponent would be damaged, and adjust accordingly. "No player shall" is a pretty serious prohibition. In a tournament, I would issue a PP. ...

I note that this offence is listed in Law 90B5 under "Offences Subject to Procedural Penalty"
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 04:08

May I add a twist to this question? What if the player sitting North had asked East if he'd be willing to turn cards while North ran to the bathroom? Does this change anything in your minds?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 04:09

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-05, 11:21, said:

The actual irregularity here is IMO a violation of Law 7B3: "No player shall touch any cards other than his own". As others have suggested, I would rule under Law 23 that East "could have known" that his opponent would be damaged, and adjust accordingly. "No player shall" is a pretty serious prohibition. In a tournament, I would issue a PP. At a club, i would give serious consideration to issuing one, and perhaps only not do so if there was some mitigating factor, like the position of the card in question on the table. I don't think 65 is needed for this ruling, nor do I think that 73 is appropriate.

Penalising East seems rather extreme. It doesn't sound as though he did it intentionally, or has ever done it before, or will ever do it again. Nor, I expect, is there any need to make an example of him - even if you let him escape unpunished, I doubt if it will lead to an epidemic of similar behaviour.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-06, 04:20

View PostJeremy69A, on 2012-January-05, 06:17, said:

Opinions welcome and it is real life not something made up! :D

This beats even the most contorted lamford examples so I have no problem accepting this :).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-06, 09:21

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-January-06, 04:08, said:

May I add a twist to this question? What if the player sitting North had asked East if he'd be willing to turn cards while North ran to the bathroom? Does this change anything in your minds?

North can't legally ask that question. B-) If that did happen, I wouldn't issue PPs in MPs, but give a warning to both North and East. Yeah, I know, they're gonna think I'm nuts, "everybody does it," yada yada yada. It's still illegal.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-06, 09:23

View Postgnasher, on 2012-January-06, 04:09, said:

Penalising East seems rather extreme. It doesn't sound as though he did it intentionally, or has ever done it before, or will ever do it again. Nor, I expect, is there any need to make an example of him - even if you let him escape unpunished, I doubt if it will lead to an epidemic of similar behaviour.

Must I point out, every time I mention PPs, that the mildest form of PP is a warning not to do it again (whatever it was)?
--------------------

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-06, 09:37

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-06, 09:23, said:

Must I point out, every time I mention PPs, that the mildest form of PP is a warning not to do it again (whatever it was)?

No, you don't have to point that out.

However, if you say "I would issue a PP", I will assume that you mean "I would issue a PP, which might take the form of a warning or might be a stronger penalty." If you mean to say "I would give East a warning", a good way to say it is "I would give East a warning".

I have to say, though, that even issuing a warning seems excessive. What future occurrence are you trying to prevent by doing so?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-06, 09:44

I'm trying to get East to pay closer attention to what he's doing. That might involve a future recurrence of this same problem, it might involve a different carelessness.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-06, 11:16

View Postgnasher, on 2012-January-06, 04:09, said:

Failing to heavily penalize E is extreme. whatever E's motivation to comingle cards this incident amplifies the reason for wanting to instill in all players the desire to care enough to not do it.

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-09, 05:00

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-January-06, 04:08, said:

What would change? East would say "no" and declarer would play his own dummy. Or are you suggesting that North would really make such a request and East would really agree to it? Now East would be subject to PPs for handling an opponent's cards even if he did nothing else irregular.

EDIT: Missed blackshoe's post, and differ in his assertion that "everybody" does it; where I play nearly no one does.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-09, 09:39

I did not assert that "everybody does it", I asserted that players would claim, in their defense for doing it, that "everybody does it". In fact, everybody doesn't do it — nearly always they don't have to, because one defender or the other (or both) will volunteer to do it. Around here, that's what "everybody does".

For those who've lost track, "it" refers to a defender handling dummy's cards for declarer in dummy's absence, or to dummy asking a defender to do so. B-)
--------------------

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-09, 09:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-January-09, 09:39, said:

In fact, everybody doesn't do it — nearly always they don't have to, because one defender or the other (or both) will volunteer to do it.

Weird that people will volunteer to commit an infraction, and put themselves in the position where, if anything goes wrong, they will be liable.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-January-09, 10:06

I suppose most of them don't really know that it's an infraction — because, after all, "everybody does it". :P
--------------------

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-09, 10:46

Around here, dummy usually asks "I need to go to the restroom, can someone turn my cards?" and both defenders will readily agree.

I've seen things like this in ACBL national events. Dummy may go to the restroom, or even take a smoke break, and ask others (or even a kibitzer) to turn their cards.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users