• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many cards make a trick?

#21 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-09, 10:55

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-09, 10:46, said:

Around here, dummy usually asks "I need to go to the restroom, can someone turn my cards?" and both defenders will readily agree.

I've seen things like this in ACBL national events. Dummy may go to the restroom, or even take a smoke break, and ask others (or even a kibitzer) to turn their cards.

Sounds like declarers are pretty lazy in that part of the world!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-09, 11:05

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-09, 10:55, said:

Sounds like declarers are pretty lazy in that part of the world!

Everyone just recognizes that it's easier for opponents to get to dummy's cards than for declarer to reach over the table.

#23 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-January-09, 12:03

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-09, 11:05, said:

Everyone just recognizes that it's easier for opponents to get to dummy's cards than for declarer to reach over the table.

Is it? Personally I might turn dummy's cards as a defender out of politeness, but I don't think it is easier. As declarer I always refuse such an offer because I find it very easy as declarer to turn dummy's cards.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#24 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-January-09, 12:09

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-09, 12:03, said:

Is it? Personally I might turn dummy's cards as a defender out of politeness, but I don't think it is easier. As declarer I always refuse such an offer because I find it very easy as declarer to turn dummy's cards.

Simple geometry. Unless you move dummy's cards to the middle of the table, it's less of a reach for defenders.

#25 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-09, 13:41

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-09, 12:03, said:

Around there tables must be very small!
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-09, 15:51

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-09, 13:41, said:

I am pretty sure that duplicate is not the dominant form of bridge in the world; therefore most declarers, in most places, play their own dummies regardless of the size of the table.

I think that if I were defending, I would find that being responsible for turning cards from dummy would seriously impair my concentration, as well as reduce my enjoyment. Other people's mileage obviously varies.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-January-09, 20:35

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-09, 15:51, said:

I am pretty sure that duplicate is not the dominant form of bridge in the world; therefore most declarers, in most places, play their own dummies regardless of the size of the table.

In rubber bridge, it's common for dummy to put down his cards in the middle of the table, where it's easy for declarer to reach them. In duplicate bridge, that area of the table is taken up by the guide card and duplicate board.

#28 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-09, 22:14

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-09, 20:35, said:

In rubber bridge, it's common for dummy to put down his cards in the middle of the table, where it's easy for declarer to reach them. In duplicate bridge, that area of the table is taken up by the guide card and duplicate board.

Yes, and there's no reason the guide card and duplicate board can't be moved closer to declarer so that dummy can put his cards where declarer can reach them. Of course, that would require some thought by players, and as I heard one player say to her partner during a post-mortem a few years ago, "I didn't come here to think, I came here to play bridge!" :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 04:13

So long as declarer suggests (or concedes to dummy's suggestion) that somebody, defender, kibitzer or whatever, handles dummy's cards while dummy is away from the table for whatever reason I see no problem.
I would certainly not penalize a defender for "violating" Law 7B3 by handling ("touching") dummy's cards under declarer's complete control.

Incidentally, when as TD I have spare time and notice a dummy being (temporarily) away from a table, I frequently sits down and handles dummy for declarer without even saying a word. This is always appreciated.

#30 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-10, 04:31

I think that if I were defending, I would find that being responsible for turning cards from dummy would seriously impair my concentration, as well as reduce my enjoyment. Other people's mileage obviously varies.

I think it is normal to play the cards on a club evening if dummy asks and as Pran says the TD sometimes will sit in and do this if available. I have one partner who seriously objects(no real idea why) so it is not a great idea to do this when playing with him.

It is tempting to withdraw privileges(or ask if declarer has lost the use of their arms) when no-one ask and declarer expects and tuts if you don't play the chosen card. :)

#31 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 08:14

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-09, 13:41, said:

Where's 'there'? I play dummy's cards [and prefer to] if she is away from the table in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, France, Sweden, Iceland, South Africa, Australia and the USA.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#32 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-January-10, 08:48

I guess all those places! :)

But to be more exact, I have not much difficulty in playing dummy, but placing the cards after the trick has been quit can be slightly tricky, at least to me. I sometimes throw them but that is inelegant and they may turn around in the air. Maybe you should show me your technique so I can learn it.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#33 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-10, 08:56

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-10, 08:48, said:

I guess all those places! :)

But to be more exact, I have not much difficulty in playing dummy, but placing the cards after the trick has been quit can be slightly tricky, at least to me. I sometimes throw them but that is inelegant and they may turn around in the air. Maybe you should show me your technique so I can learn it.

What I often do is put dummy's card into the appropriate slot in the board. Sometimes I play the cards on top of the board as well.

#34 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 17:57

That's basically what I do. Technically incorrect I suppose, according to Law 65, but it seems the best approach to me.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-10, 20:17

I put dummy in such a position that I can reach it but there is an area for played cards between it and the board, and I put played cards there.

If you put cards in the board [as my regular partner does] I hope you remember to take them out and shuffle them at the end.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#36 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-January-10, 22:51

View Postbluejak, on 2012-January-10, 20:17, said:

I put dummy in such a position that I can reach it but there is an area for played cards between it and the board, and I put played cards there.

If you put cards in the board [as my regular partner does] I hope you remember to take them out and shuffle them at the end.

I use the same technique. Placing dummy's cards in front of the dummy between the dummy and myself (declarer).

In addition when i handle dummy like this I count the cards in dummy's hand and my own hand before returning them to the board.

I also think that it is an imposition to ask or expect the opponents to turn the cards. I am uncomfortable even suggesting that a defender handles dummy's cards.

As a defender I am unhappy and find it distracting if it is suggested that I or my partner manage the dummy's played cards.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#37 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-11, 10:57

View PostCascade, on 2012-January-10, 22:51, said:

I also think that it is an imposition to ask or expect the opponents to turn the cards. I am uncomfortable even suggesting that a defender handles dummy's cards.

Last night my partner was away from the table, and after I had played a card from dummy one of the defenders picked up the played card and put it in the quitted position, behind the dummy from my perspective. I felt violated the someone had touched my card!

As a defender I am unhappy and find it distracting if it is suggested that I or my partner manage the dummy's played cards.

Luckily it is an infraction, so you can refuse to do it without seeming impolite.

#38 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-11, 11:25

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-09, 15:51, said:

Or, if I were declarer as well. But, glad you are "point man" this time, Steph. Last time I expressed your views on these threads I was schooled on how important it is to be able to go to the bar while dummy, and how silly it was to suggest people can mostly plan their potty breaks for dead time.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#39 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-January-11, 12:26

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-January-11, 11:25, said:

Or, if I were declarer as well. But, glad you are "point man" this time, Steph. Last time I expressed your views on these threads I was schooled on how important it is to be able to go to the bar while dummy, and how silly it was to suggest people can mostly plan their potty breaks for dead time.

I have certainly never suggested that dummy should not leave the table, if that is what you are implying. During "dead time", eg the end of a round, the toilets and, more importantly, the bar, might have queues. It is dummy's duty to make sure declarer's glass is kept full. I also have a partner who goes to smoke 1/2 of a cigarette every time he is dummy. I don't really like it, but he is much too old a dog to be taught new tricks.

#40 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-January-11, 13:40

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-11, 10:57, said:

Luckily it is an infraction, so you can refuse to do it without seeming impolite.

No, that means you can refuse to do it without incurring a penalty, but you will still probably seem impolite...

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users