BBO Discussion Forums: Allowed defenses to "could be short" 1C or 1D - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Allowed defenses to "could be short" 1C or 1D

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2010-October-11, 14:34

In the ACBL, when limited to the General Convention Chart, are you allowed to use any defense (such as a Midchart convention such as Suction) when the opponents open either of these two opening bids:

1. 1, "could be short", when it could be a doubleton only with a 4=4=3=2 distribution (and could be 12 HCP or 19 HCP)

2. 1, "could be short", when it could be as short as a doubleton in a Precision type structure.

Bud H

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-October-11, 14:42

only in months with "r's" in them
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-11, 14:49

General Chart, on Competitive, said:

7. DEFENSE TO:
  a) conventional calls

So the only relevant question is whether a 1 or 1 opening which could be fewer than three cards qualifies as a conventional call. Note that:

General Chart, on Definitions, said:

1. An opening suit bid or response is considered natural if in a minor it shows three or more cards in that suit

So the 1 or 1 opening described is certainly not natural. Obviously one can split hairs about whether "conventional" is really the opposite of "natural" and whether it's possible for a call to be both natural and conventional (or neither natural nor conventional); no formal definition of "conventional" is given on the General Chart.

If we go to the Laws of Duplicate Bridge for a definition of "convention" they say that it's the same as "special partnership understanding" which is defined in Law 40B:

Law 40B2 said:

Whether explicit or implicit, an agreement between partners is a partnership understanding. A convention is included, unless the Regulating Authority decides otherwise, among the agreements and treatments that constitute special partnership understandings, as is the case with any call that has an artificial meaning.

This strongly implies that any call which has an artificial meaning is conventional, while leaving the door open for some natural calls to also be considered conventional at the discretion of the regulating authority (here ACBL). Since the 1 or 1 opening is certainly artificial (not natural), it's conventional and any defense is permitted.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-October-11, 14:59

awm, on Oct 11 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

General Chart, on Competitive, said:

7. DEFENSE TO:
  a) conventional calls

So the only relevant question is whether a 1 or 1 opening which could be fewer than three cards qualifies as a conventional call. Note that:

General Chart, on Definitions, said:

1. An opening suit bid or response is considered natural if in a minor it shows three or more cards in that suit

So the 1 or 1 opening described is certainly not natural. Obviously one can split hairs about whether "conventional" is really the opposite of "natural" and whether it's possible for a call to be both natural and conventional (or neither natural nor conventional); no formal definition of "conventional" is given on the General Chart.

If we go to the Laws of Duplicate Bridge for a definition of "convention" they say that it's the same as "special partnership understanding" which is defined in Law 40B:

Law 40B2 said:

Whether explicit or implicit, an agreement between partners is a partnership understanding. A convention is included, unless the Regulating Authority decides otherwise, among the agreements and treatments that constitute special partnership understandings, as is the case with any call that has an artificial meaning.

This strongly implies that any call which has an artificial meaning is conventional, while leaving the door open for some natural calls to also be considered conventional at the discretion of the regulating authority (here ACBL). Since the 1 or 1 opening is certainly artificial (not natural), it's conventional and any defense is permitted.

FWIW: I agree completely with Adam's reasoning.

I think that any reasonable person should interpret the existing regulations in a similar manner.
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2010-October-11, 15:36

It may also be worth mentioning the "rules on the ground."

I've discussed this with national directors. A number of years ago, it was the case that many directors believed that conventional defenses to 1/1 "could be short" openings were not permitted. However, this situation changed very suddenly about five years ago, at which point it seemingly became universally accepted by national level directors that any defenses to these openings were okay on the General Chart. I suspect there was a memo or something from ACBL (to which I was not privy) or something appeared in the appeals casebooks.

Anyway, the "rules on the ground" are that any defenses to these opening bids are GCC-allowed.
Adam W. Meyerson

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-12, 01:35

FWIW I think there's a huge difference between a precision 1 opening, and a 1 opening which can be done on a doubleton only when 4=4=3=2 exactly (5542 system). The 1 opening has just 1 exception to not being a 3 card or longer (and not being the longest minor). The Precision opening opens 1 on a variety of hands, from natural to 4=2=2=5 distributions. It's much more artificial.

Change the 1 opening to something like 15-17 balanced or 12+ natural and the opening becomes much more artificial. Here you'll effectively open 1 with 4=3=4=2 hands, so the chance of a doubleton is much higher.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-12, 01:46

I'm sure the authors of the GCC intended to:

- Disallow suction over 1 that is 3+
- Allow suction over 1 that is 3+ or 4432
- Disallow a 3NT opening bid to show a strong hand with either major
- Allow a 3NT opening bid to show a weak hand with either minor

I disagree that Adam's interpretation is the only reasonable one (though I do think it's reasonable and very likely the most reasonable). FWIW I would allow any defense (perhaps other than completely random ie 1 on any hand) over any opening bid, but I seriously doubt it was ever anyone's intention to have wildly different regulations over 1 3+ and 1 3+ or 4432.

One (of many) thing the GCC really needs IMO is an exception that treats any bid which shows "blah or one exact shape that is a single card from blah" exactly the same as it treats "blah". Other somewhat common examples would be a common Norwegian system where a 1 opening is 5+ or 4432 exactly, and a system where a 2 response to 1 is 3+ or 3442 exactly.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-12, 02:05

jdonn, on Oct 12 2010, 08:46 AM, said:

One (of many) thing the GCC really needs IMO is an exception that treats any bid which shows "blah or one exact shape that is a single card from blah" exactly the same as it treats "blah". Other somewhat common examples would be a common Norwegian system where a 1 opening is 5+ or 4432 exactly, and a system where a 2 response to 1 is 3+ or 3442 exactly.

Then most of us will be playing 4-card openings, since 1 is only a 3 card with 4=4=3=2 (yes, the same hand again) for many players. Maybe we can just ban the 4=4=3=2 distribution completely, just to help regulations. B)

I agree with the idea.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#9 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2010-October-13, 12:32

As someone playing a short like always, I encourage people to play their pet conventions after that. It often ends with a top for us if it comes up.

In other news, I think for a while a 2+ opening was considered natural in the Netherlands. Not sure if it still is as I've moved out. I guess it was done to protect the crowd from experts who play things like Holo-Bolo (basically a convention where every bid is a Multi)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#10 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-October-13, 20:00

In ACBLand:

No, conventional defenses to an opening 1 or 1 that may be short are NOT allowed. I have an e-mail from rulings@acbl.org that says that.

However, if the same bids are Artificial AND Strong (15+ hcp) then conventional defenses are allowed.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#11 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2010-October-13, 20:56

PrecisionL, on Oct 13 2010, 09:00 PM, said:

In ACBLand:

No, conventional defenses to an opening 1 or 1 that may be short are NOT allowed.  I have an e-mail from rulings@acbl.org that says that. 

However, if the same bids are Artificial AND Strong (15+ hcp) then conventional defenses are allowed.

All I can say is, this is far from the first time that you've had very strange ideas about what is and isn't allowed in ACBL events. Your opinion contradicts any logical reading of the convention charts, and also contradicts the consistent opinion of at least half a dozen national-level directors.

The folks they have at rulings@acbl do make many mistakes, and their opinions are far from "official" at times. This particular opinion is also something that has changed in the last six years or so.
Adam W. Meyerson

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-14, 07:17

The GCC allows any defense to conventional calls, with some exceptions that do not apply here (#7a under "Competitive"). By the definition in the chart, a "could be short" 1 or 1 opening is not natural. The implication is that it is conventional. If it is conventional, then any defense to it is allowed.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2010-October-14, 07:29

One (of many) thing the GCC really needs IMO is an exception that treats any bid which shows "blah or one exact shape that is a single card from blah" exactly the same as it treats "blah".

I think this is wrong. The set of all hands constitute a connected network where each connected pair differ only slightly, say by one HCP or one card changing suit. So your proposal would mean that all agreements would be treated the same.

So I believe the borderline must be somewhere. Treating 2+m and 3+M as artificial but 3+m and 4+M as natural is simple, and as reasonable as anything.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-October-14, 12:33

awm, on Oct 13 2010, 09:56 PM, said:

In ACBLand:

No, conventional defenses to an opening 1 or 1 that may be short are NOT allowed.  I have an e-mail from rulings@acbl.org that says that. 

All I can say is, this is far from the first time that you've had very strange ideas about what is and isn't allowed in ACBL events. Your opinion contradicts any logical reading of the convention charts, and also contradicts the consistent opinion of at least half a dozen national-level directors.

The folks they have at rulings@acbl do make many mistakes, and their opinions are far from "official" at times. This particular opinion is also something that has changed in the last six years or so.

I am only reporting the official position of Mike Fladder, Associate National Tournament Director or Rick Beye his boss from questions submitted to rulings@acbl.org

There does not seem to be a meeting of the minds if National Tournament Directors state otherwise. So, I guess the prudent thing to do is to ask all the TDs at a tournament to decide if there is a unity of interpretation of the King's English (GCC).
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-14, 13:10

No. Just ask the DIC. If another TD gives you a different interpretation, tell him to talk to the DIC.

Best would be an interpretation from the Conventions and Competitions Committee, or whatever they're called, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-14, 13:36

In ACBLand:

No, conventional defenses to an opening 1 or 1 that may be short are NOT allowed. I have an e-mail from rulings@acbl.org that says that.

I vaguely recall a post from JanM which stated that the opponents' use of a conventional defence over their 1 ("could be short") opening was upheld...a search should turn it up...
foobar on BBO

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-14, 14:07

helene_t, on Oct 14 2010, 08:29 AM, said:

One (of many) thing the GCC really needs IMO is an exception that treats any bid which shows "blah or one exact shape that is a single card from blah" exactly the same as it treats "blah".

I think this is wrong. The set of all hands constitute a connected network where each connected pair differ only slightly, say by one HCP or one card changing suit. So your proposal would mean that all agreements would be treated the same.

So I believe the borderline must be somewhere. Treating 2+m and 3+M as artificial but 3+m and 4+M as natural is simple, and as reasonable as anything.

I suppose you have caught me being a little lazy in my wording but I think you might have realized what I meant. I'm not suggesting some logical induction where every shape is treated identically since it's different by one card from the next closer hand to the regulation, etc. I'm referring to instances where there is a regulation and your system includes exactly one shape that differs by exactly one card from the shape specifically governed by the regulation.

So if a 1 opening bid that shows 3+ clubs differs by regulation from a 1 opening bid that shows 2+ clubs (such as one being conventional and one not), I would treat a system in which the 1 opening is 'either 3+ clubs or exactly 4432' as a 3+ 1 system. However if the 1 opening was 'either 3+ clubs or balanced without a 4 card major' so 1 could be 4432, 4342, 3442, or 3352 then I would not treat that system as a 3+ 1 system.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#18 User is offline   kevperk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-15, 22:38

As a tournament director, I have been told and rule that a could be short 1 or 1 is not considered conventional in applying the General Chart regulation. Allowing any defense occurs only when the bid is truly artificial, not when it is ostensibly natural and only sometimes includes some catchall hands.

#19 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-15, 23:13

kevperk, on Oct 16 2010, 05:38 PM, said:

As a tournament director, I have been told and rule that a could be short 1 or 1 is not considered conventional in applying the General Chart regulation. Allowing any defense occurs only when the bid is truly artificial, not when it is ostensibly natural and only sometimes includes some catchall hands.

That seems a weird interpretation of the written regulation to me.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#20 User is offline   kevperk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-15, 23:30

I was told that this is the intention, so the easiest way to "get there" is by defining short 1 and 1 as natural, rather than scrap the whole definition of natural.

Kevin

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users