BBO Discussion Forums: Puppet stayman over 2NT overcall? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Puppet stayman over 2NT overcall? What is common here?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-14, 01:14

Partner and I reached uncharted waters last night. RHO dealt and opened a weak 2, which I overcalled 2NT. We play "system on" after such overcalls, and play "regular" stayman over 1NT and puppet stayman over 2NT openings. After LHO's pass and partner's 3, I wasn't sure exactly what partner was asking for.
At the table I took the (previously undiscussed) bid to mean standard stayman, because I figured I had a chance to show a five-card major by overcalling or jump-overcalling, as the strength of the hand merits. Does this make sense? Is there a standard for which stayman 3 is here?

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-14, 03:06

View PostAntrax, on 2011-November-14, 01:14, said:

Partner and I reached uncharted waters last night. RHO dealt and opened a weak 2, which I overcalled 2NT. We play "system on" after such overcalls, and play "regular" stayman over 1NT and puppet stayman over 2NT openings. After LHO's pass and partner's 3, I wasn't sure exactly what partner was asking for.
At the table I took the (previously undiscussed) bid to mean standard stayman, because I figured I had a chance to show a five-card major by overcalling or jump-overcalling, as the strength of the hand merits. Does this make sense? Is there a standard for which stayman 3 is here?

I think regular stayman and transfers are what make sense. Same for if you bid 3nt over a 3 level preempt.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-14, 03:33

Playing system on means you play your 2NT structure. Makes perfect sense to me, you still want to find 4-4 and 5-3 fits. If I have AQT and a 5 card M I would prefer to overcall 2NT rather than 2M...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-November-14, 06:03

Puppet really sucks here. Puppet's problem is 5/4, which is more likely than Overcaller having a 5-card major.

Muppet makes sense, though, as the tweak on Puppet that handles the 5/4 hand (2NT bidder reverses meanings for 3 (now no 4-card major) and 3NT (now 5), which allows Responder/Advancer space to bid 3 with 5/4 after partner's 3 call).
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-November-14, 06:15

I agree with Free. Ordinary puppet stayman may not be the best system over 2NT overcalls but if that is your (default) agreement (regular stayman over 1NT, puppet stayman over 2NT) then I don't see any reason to divert from something of a meta-agreement to something that you expect partner to work out as all it does is create a potential misunderstanding.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-14, 07:20

After a 2NT overcall we play transfers if their suit is known. A transfer to their suit is stayman, expect for (2S) - 2NT where 3S is stayman and 3H shows clubs (for rightsiding reasons).

If their suit is unknown (think: multi) we play our normal 2NT structure.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users