BBO Discussion Forums: What should I have bid? Asked partner, as ops rattled of the first 6 winners - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What should I have bid? Asked partner, as ops rattled of the first 6 winners

#1 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:25

R V R, MPs, dealer South

North
QJT64
A97
J98
Q2

South
AK87
KQT7
A94

This went horribly wrong when partner bid 3NT over my 1NT and West rattled off AKQT42 for a bottom for us as everyone was in Spades, making 10 or 11.

I suspect we would have survived on most days but how should I have replied to he question and what should I do? Part of the problem is that we are the only pair playing strong NT so its hard in these cases to compare our results and say we got the bidding wrong. I suspect the bidding at the other tables went something like 1H-1S-3S-4S with silent ops.

My answer was that she should transfer me in to Spades and then bid 3NT to show the point count, giving me a choice of games, but I'm not sure now I think about it a bit more. Is there another bid she could make?

Lets say partner does transfer to spades, should I bid a normal 2 or super-accept with a bid 3? I know I only have 16HCP and purists would say I guarantee a maximum, but surely AK must count as an extra point?

As always, thanks in advance,

Simon

#2 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:30

The standard approach with the North hand is to transfer to and then bid a choice-of-games 3NT. I think the South hand qualifies as a super-accept if you play them. 4 good trumps, a side suit to 3 honours, and an outside Ace. You really can't be more maximum than that!

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:38

I understand North's thinking. With five spades but 5-3-3-2 pattern, 3NT often scores as many tricks as 4, which makes 3NT seems lucrative.

That said, there is no reason to place everything on yourself. Transferring to spades and then bidding 3NT expresses a desire to play 3NT. If you had a hand where 3NT seems wrong, you are generally unbalanced in some way and might try bidding your minor along the way.

For example, change North's hand to QJ10xx Axx QJxx x. With that hand, you might bid this way:

1NT-2
2-3

That invites partner's take on whether 3NT, 4, or even 5 makes the most sense, by focusing partner on what you actually have. For that matter, give partner AKx Kxx AKx xxxx. Opposite that hand, 6 probably makes (get a heart ruff in quickly).

In contrast, 1NT-2-2-3NT allows partner to pass, despite three-card support, which is what North intended. Sure -- doing that helps the opponents with the lead, but with five spades in your hand, dreaming of a spade lead seems silly.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:44

View PostSimonFa, on 2011-November-13, 12:25, said:

My answer was that she should transfer me in to Spades and then bid 3NT to show the point count, giving me a choice of games, but I'm not sure now I think about it a bit more. Is there another bid she could make?

Lets say partner does transfer to spades, should I bid a normal 2 or super-accept with a bid 3? I know I only have 16HCP and purists would say I guarantee a maximum, but surely AK must count as an extra point?

You are absolutely correct. Opposite a strong NT a 10 pt hand with a 5 card major should transfer to the major and then bid 3NT choice of games, unless their hand is very distributional (say a second 4+ suit or a 6th spade or something similar). This sequence should become automatic for you and your partner playing this system.

In this case, you have a very good hand for spades so you should superaccept (some people play that 3D shows a superaccept with xx of diamonds, then partner can bid 3H as a retransfer). Either way, your partnership should be in 4 spades on these cards.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:45

Super acceptance shouldn't matter on this hand. Simple is best. Transfer to spades, then bid 3NT. South looks at his hand and chooses spades.

3NT gets what it deserves.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:49

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-13, 12:45, said:

3NT gets what it deserves.

B/I forum...

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-November-13, 12:56

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-November-13, 12:49, said:

B/I forum...

Agree. B/I forum is the ideal place to point out that OP's partner blasting 3NT was not a good idea and recommend using one's simple tools in simple auctions to arrive at better contracts over the long run.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-13, 13:26

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-November-13, 12:56, said:

Agree. B/I forum is the ideal place to point out that OP's partner blasting 3NT was not a good idea and recommend using one's simple tools in simple auctions to arrive at better contracts over the long run.

Ok, point. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't taken too harshly.

#9 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-November-13, 14:09

The normal way to bid a gameforcing hand with 5 spades is to transfer and bid 3NT.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#10 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-November-13, 21:55

As you're playing Jacoby transfers, partner should bid 2 followed by 3NT (whether you superaccept or not; I agree that you should); you'll bid 4. Textbook.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users