BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

Poll: ATB (20 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. West 100% (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Mostly West (4 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 50-50 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Mostly East (7 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

5. East 100% (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. No blame (7 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-25, 02:05

Me and partner had a big disagreement on this hand. We were playing precision, we open pretty much all 11-counts in 1st and 2nd seat, in 3rd seat we may be light (1M always shows 5+M, it's never done with 4).

2-2 was obviously a bottom, please give comments on the auction and ATB.

EDIT: for clarification to hog, we play weak two's, usually with 6 card suit, and we're not crazy when vul. ;)
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-July-25, 03:14

I would open 1S. As a passed hand I would bid bid 2H. Passing 2H is a very deep view, especially if you play weak 2s and even if you don't.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-25, 03:57

Both had the chance to do different choices (e.g. pull 2 to 2, bid 1NT instead of 2), but I think the actual actions are reasonable. I'd say no blame.

#4 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-July-25, 04:56

East is a passed hand, what could partner do over 1NT that wouldn't allow him to find the heart fit (in case there's one)? Of course West could/should bid over 2 since he could have only a 5-1 fit but then again what if East has 6+ ugly hearts and rebids them over 2 (or worse, s/he passes 2and they end up in a 5-1 fit when they were in a 6-1!).

So I voted mainly East.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-25, 17:07

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-July-25, 04:56, said:

East is a passed hand, what could partner do over 1NT that wouldn't allow him to find the heart fit (in case there's one)? Of course West could/should bid over 2 since he could have only a 5-1 fit but then again what if East has 6+ ugly hearts and rebids them over 2 (or worse, s/he passes 2and they end up in a 5-1 fit when they were in a 6-1!).

So I voted mainly East.

U can bid after 1 NT of course, but this is not the same thing as bidding direct 2. East doesnt know pd opened weak yet and i think 2 is pretty normal, at least for me. He has the maximum of a passed hand and 5 card and tolerance to 2.

For example;

x
KJTxx
xx
Jxxxx

x
JTxxxx
xx
Kxxx

I'd bid 1 NT and bid 2 if pd rebids 2.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-25, 23:13

I'm in the no blame camp. 1 is obvious, and 2 is reasonable (and what I'd likely do at the table), and pass is reasonable (and likely what I'd do at the table - although the one I feel least good about). You've swung the board, now hope they had something like +110 or +100 and you are only down 1 (or on a really lucky day make).

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-July-27, 02:03

I was East, since I get most blame there must be something wrong with my reasoning. Let me explain what I was thinking.

I didn't open 2, so I can't have a decent hand with a good 6 card suit. With a weak hand and 6 I bid 1NT followed by 2 (showing the weakness). Therefore 2, being constructive, should be a good 5 card suit or a poor 6 card suit (in both cases opener better rebids 2 with his current hand). Is there any reason to bid 2 instead of 1NT? Imo yes, opener can easily have 13-15HCP with a 5=3=4=1 or 5=3=1=4 distribution. If I bid 1NT, opener would rebid 2m and I'll correct to 2. We may have an easy 4 when partner has the singleton (although unlikely, opps will probably interfere) or 3 may be a better contract when partner has the singleton .

Where did I go wrong?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-July-27, 04:54

You did nothing wrong. Bidding isn't an exact science. The best actions will lead to bad results occasionally.

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-28, 07:30

i blame west - he's got a decent spade suit but might not have any entries to make any tricks in a heart contract. better to make spades trumps. of course that might end up reversing the problem and getting cut off from dummy's hearts tricks, but we haven't seen dummy yet.

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-July-28, 07:38

The 1 opening and the 2 response are normal.

The pass of 2 is not unreasonable, but it is the only call that is open to question. West might bid 2 over 2. So, if there is any blame to assign on this hand, it is to West.

But seriously, if one agrees that passing 2 is a reasonable action, then we are assigning blame based solely on the result, not on the merits of the action. So I would say that neither East nor West is to blame.

Sometimes you are the windshield, and sometimes you are the bug.

#11 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-28, 09:23

I would not bid 2.....ever!, therefore I blame West 100%.

Opposite a third seat opener, I think 1NT should be automatic with tolerance. Since you didn't open 2, or 2 in 1st seat then bidding 2 of a red suit is virtually impossible!

If West bids 1NT then East should pass and go from there.

#12 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-July-28, 09:38

I blame W for the reason he opened.

It is a very bad hand being vulnerable with a passed partner.I think that if LHO will pass too.the result will be at least 40% for E-W.
Strictly in this board, 2 is -1 , so 2sp rebid is not a big deal.
True, E-W make 8 trics in NT, but what if N has the 10 or even the 8?
If spades don't run , with a club lead N-S make +200.
But N-S has nothing to play!

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-28, 15:47

View Postjmcw, on 2011-July-28, 09:23, said:

I would not bid 2.....ever!, therefore I blame West 100%.

Opposite a third seat opener, I think 1NT should be automatic with tolerance. Since you didn't open 2, or 2 in 1st seat then bidding 2 of a red suit is virtually impossible!

If West bids 1NT then East should pass and go from there.

West did not bid 2.

But anyway, you should not bid with paranoia of pd opening light in 3rd seat, just because he may once in a while. Unless he has the habbit of opening light in 3rd seat, just for the sake of opening light frequently. He may have a decent hand and u may be giving him comfort by 2 bid in another hand, besides you are kinda protected with your initial pass.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-28, 20:04

IMO West 5%. Bad luck 95%.
1 and 2 seem reasonable. As a passed hand, when would you bid 2, if you don't with xx Kxxxx Jxx AQx
Opposite a typical Axxxx QJx xx Kxx, plays better than no-trump.
Opposite as little as AKxxx QJx xx Kxx game is reasonable.
West gets 5% for his failure to remove partner from a likely 5-1 fit. Although I confess I would pass, too.

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-28, 20:36

Whatever inferences East thinks his partner has from the failure to open 1 or 2H originally do not really excuse bidding 2H/1S with a mediocre five-bagger.

If East were not a passed hand, he could not bid 2H/1S because he lacks the power to do so. He would have bid 1NT...forcing or semi forcing or whatever. I see no reason to do something different on this hand, especially if third seat can be really light.

"But I Was a Passed Hand" should be the title of someone's book including a string of disasters with that theme.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-July-29, 00:34

View Postnige1, on 2011-July-28, 20:04, said:

IMO West 5%. Bad luck 95%.
1 and 2 seem reasonable.

Move the ace (or even the queen) to the south's hand and leave E with q9x.
p-p-1-p
p-X- p- p
And 1 means "Stop! -800".

#17 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-July-29, 01:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-July-28, 20:36, said:

If East were not a passed hand, he could not bid 2H/1S because he lacks the power to do so. He would have bid 1NT...forcing or semi forcing or whatever. I see no reason to do something different on this hand, especially if third seat can be really light.

So according to you, if you play basic 2/1 GF, you can never bid a 2/1 with a passed hand because you lack the power you need after a 1st/2nd seat opening? :blink:

Systems change according to seat, 1-2 is GF, but Pass-1-2 shows a maximum passed hand (you can't be much stronger than that anyway). There's no need to have no meaning for this auction because you can't have the values.

#18 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-29, 01:54

Not at all. There are passed hands with could bid 2H/1S. But, the given hand isn't one of them. It has 2-card spade tolerance, and the bid takes up a lot of room.

Actually, for people who open weak two's at every opportunity with little concern about suit quality and honor cards scattered over the rest of their hand --probably there aren't any hands which should bid 2/1 as a passed hand.

X QXXXXXX AXX KX comes to mind, unless I am one of those who believe in jerking partner around with a 3-bid in first seat.

#19 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-29, 03:31

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-July-28, 20:36, said:

Why isn't the fact that 1NT is no longer forcing or semi-forcing a reason to do something different?

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-29, 07:39

View Postcampboy, on 2011-July-29, 03:31, said:

Why isn't the fact that 1NT is no longer forcing or semi-forcing a reason to do something different?

Should still be at least semi-forcing, IMO.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users