• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Call

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-31, 00:34

IMP, nothing special about methods, 2/1 system, 3 by pd can be weaker than standart for other people if 5431 or better shape but not less than 13 hcp.

What is your call ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-31, 01:10

View PostMrAce, on 2011-July-31, 00:34, said:

IMP, nothing special about methods, 2/1 system, 3 by pd can be weaker than standart for other people if 5431 or better shape but not less than 13 hcp.

What is your call ?

I pass.

1. My bridge judgment tells me to pass. East has shown real strength by not overcalling 4H directly, making it more likely that partner could be the minimum 13-14 hcp you say is possible. That seems to make 3 losers pretty likely for us. On defense we have a heart trick, probably at least one ace from partner, and a very good chance for a diamond ruff.

But since I don't completely trust my bridge judgment, I have backup evaluation methods...

2. LOTT tells me to pass. Probably 18-19 trumps on this hand, meaning that even if they make 5 (-420) we are down 2 or 3 (-300 or -500 as I assume E would double). The possible 3 IMP gain if we are only down 2 when they make is not worth the really bad IMP results when this is a phantom sacrifice.

3. Losing trick count suggests that we can't make 5S. If partner really has 6-loser hand, my 8-loser hand suggests down 1 in 5S.

#3 User is offline   frank0 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 02:13

Double, when opp don't let us play I cannot control my emotion.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 02:53

View Postfrank0, on 2011-July-31, 02:13, said:

Double, when opp don't let us play I cannot control my emotion.

:D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-July-31, 03:25

N has an ace (/) or if not, K (for 13 hcps). Leading we make always 3 trics (declarer need to lose a club to ruf clubs in dummy).
E started with double then doesn't have void , the X in 4sp is mostly t/o for me (inviting partner to pass with a flat hand).
I would double 5 not for 100 instead 50 but to tell to my partner that i have a defense or 2 (in ) and we can sit there.If i don't double, partner with void heart and a 6-4 hand may want to bid 5sp.
Edited. I'm not sure i would bid 4 i already said my hand with 1 and anything more to show..and i have a partner.
Is the single a good reason to bid 4? perhaps..

#6 User is offline   robkat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-31, 11:20

Double is strongly indicated with Kxx behind their A and a singleton in partner's suit. Actually, I would have doubled 4H.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 12:07

View Postvianu2, on 2011-July-31, 03:25, said:

I would double 5 not for 100 instead 50 but to tell to my partner that i have a defense or 2 (in ) and we can sit there.If i don't double, partner with void heart and a 6-4 hand may want to bid 5sp.

Double or pass after two passes to you. But if you pass partner cannot legally bid 5S because the auction is over. If you double, you might regret letting partner have another chance.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   vianu2 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:not to be taken seriously

Posted 2011-July-31, 12:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-July-31, 12:07, said:

Double or pass after two passes to you. But if you pass partner cannot legally bid 5S because the auction is over. If you double, you might regret letting partner have another chance.

Nope, that X now is just penalty and partner is invited to pass.Especially with a 4 free bid, i really show better hand than i had.
If i pass (let's say i have Kj10xx xxx x qjxx) having no defenses, i think 5 from my partner is much better than defending 5.."IF" he has some 6+-4 offensive hand which allows him to play for -1 or -2.

wow.:D :D Finally got it)) So auction is over lol ! Eh eh

#9 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 12:43

I agree with vianu that i have bid twice without gun in my head and promised better cards than i actually have. On the other hand that means that prds pass over 5 is now forcing. He would have dbled it with "bad" cards to warn me not to go 5 .
So i must choose now between dbl and 5 and since i do have a trick or two in defence i dbl; at least they r not going to make more than one overtrick at max. :D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users