Devious hesitation

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-July-07, 18:07

View Postpran, on 2011-July-07, 14:44, said:

Sure. I wasn't concerned about the first pass after the 3NT bid but the closing pass in the auction (indicated by my query mark)
Of course. :)
On second thoughts, I'm not so sure. Perhaps, an instantaneous pass might make it less likely that you hold a hand like
Jxxxxxx Txxxxxx - -

This post has been edited by nige1: 2011-July-08, 02:46

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-07, 18:19

View Postsemeai, on 2011-July-07, 09:50, said:

It's not the same thing, but here's a related question: I tense up mildly whenever declarer is on a guess, in an effort not to give anything away. Let's say he's led the J toward A109 in dummy and I played low, and now he's thinking. Is this illegal?

I think it should be. I have seen declarers (including some very good players, who should know better) sit there for several minutes, obviously waiting for a tell from one of the defenders. Remember the Coca-Cola coup? I really think that in sensitive situations declarer should decide what he is going to do before playing a card.

I sit there wondering if it will be better if I have a sip of my drink or if I don't, better if I fold my cards and put them on the table or keep them fanned and look at them... the behaviour may not be prolonging the play of the hand as a whole, but it certainly "disconcerts" me, and is definitely unethical and probably illegal. It's a difficult one to ask for a ruling about, though.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users