• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XYZ on 1H-1S-1NT auctions

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-14, 05:42

For you XYZ bidders:

Question 1: What are your shape requirements for a jump to 3 over 1NT? 4H/5S? How about 3H/6S (since partner is likely to have raised to 2S with 3). Do you allow jumping to 3H with extra values but not extra shape (this hand)?

Question 2: what are your requirements for a jump to 4 at South's second turn? Is it a picture bid? Or just a generic sign off (since North cannot have a slam try)? I ask because it impacts the next question...

Question 3: Assuming South does not qualify for a second round 3 jump, and the auction continues:

1H - 1S
1NT - 2D
2NT - 3H
?

Is this a demand cue bid situation?

On the one hand South has a crappy hand .. on the other he has two aces. However any forward move he makes might overly excite North. Or possibly North should just assume there is no slam after a 1NT rebid and give up on the perfect fit hands?

Thanks!
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-14, 06:35

Personally I would think that, since North has limited his hand quite nicely, 4 is a signoff, and thus 3 demands cuebids, and therefore 2...3 just shows Hx with some reason for not wanting to play in NT.

I don't see why North should ever bid 2 on 35(32) shape, but that is just my European perspective I suppose.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-14, 06:59

Would a 2D in 2/1GF, top those hands that as alternative use XYZ?
Thus the slam tries are in 2/1 bids, not in XYZ.

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-14, 08:50

It depends on how you start, if opener supports on a 3 card ,... For example, if you can start with 2 GF nat/bal/support (or some other combination) you can't have this hand. I've never thought about these sequences because with fit we show it asap.

I guess it's pretty clear that 2 followed by 3 should show something like Hx with doubts for 3NT. An immediate 3 should probably set trumps and start cues. A jump to 4 doesn't make sense except minimum GF with 3 card raise (when you can't show that immediately). The only alternative I see is to use it as an autosplinter (similar to rebidding 4m).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-14, 10:07

A) for the hand shown, I'd Respond an immediate 2D! = 2/1 GF.
Edit: I want at least 4 cards in the minor .

B) For 4 card raises, I'd use Bergen and a modified Jac2NT ( even with 4 cards ).

C) There are 2 ways to show a WEAK raise w/ and I'm not sure what is "standard", but you could use them to distinguish between 2 and 3 cards :
1H - 1S
1NT - 2H = 4 or 5s / 2h weak

1H - 1S
1NT - 2C! ( forces 2D! )
2D! - 2H = 4 or 5s / 3h weak

D) There also are 2 ways to show a 3 card INVITATIONAL raise, and I think you could use them to distinguish between 4 and 5 cards :

1H - 1S
1NT - 3H = 4s/3h invite

1H - 1S
1NT - 2C!
2D! - 3H = 5s/3h invite

E) And with a GF 3 raise and NO 4+cards minor :

1H - 1S
1NT - 2D! ( artificial GF )
2NT - 3H = 4+s/3h, GF
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users