Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missed Slam

#1 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-03, 13:15

I must confess that I was the West who took advantage of the vulerability to make an outrageous 2 call. (I don't show the hand, but it was made on a 5 card suit and 3 HCP.) NS was a weak pair who clearly misbid to end up in 3NT. North overcalled 2NT, which clearly undervalues her hand.

I am curious as to how the folks on BBO would have bid this as NS after my call. I would assume one would start off with a take-out double, but what then?

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-June-03, 13:30

This should be easy with Lebensohl...

(2)-X-(P)-3(values)

In doubt as to what to do, Doubler could finish this auction relatively quickly by just shrugging shoulders and blasting 6NT.

But, a more involved sequence might be to ask for Aces and sniff at the grand, with South accepting eventually.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 13:31

North has a HUGE hand and surely X is the only sensible choice. Then 2NT by South (unless playing Lebensohl), after which N bids 4NT and S 6NT? Or maybe 3NT-6NT (most probable sequence using Lebensohl).

Of course, you can likely make 7D :(

The problem is that after X by North, South doesn't really have an easy bid.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 13:32

wtf double postage

#5 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-03, 14:05

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-June-03, 13:30, said:

This should be easy with Lebensohl...

(2)-X-(P)-3(values)

In doubt as to what to do, Doubler could finish this auction relatively quickly by just shrugging shoulders and blasting 6NT.

But, a more involved sequence might be to ask for Aces and sniff at the grand, with South accepting eventually.

I now see that 7 makes as a spade can be ruffed for the 13th trick. But I don't see a line for 7NT, as West has spades stopped and East has hearts.

I like to play Lebensohl in this situation. With the partner I was playing with on this occasion, we currently play Lebensohl only over NT interfernce. And she is still learning the convention, as she recently missed the meaning of my direct cue bid of opponent's heart overcall. 4 was cold, but 3NT had no play. (And it was she who suggested that we use Lebensohl!) She is learning, though.

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 15:41

after 2 passes:
(2S) - X - ( p ) - 3NT! = game values; direct 3NT shows:  stop and no 4 cards ( a la Leb )
( p ) - 6NT
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-June-03, 18:03

View Postjh51, on 2011-June-03, 14:05, said:

I now see that 7 makes as a spade can be ruffed for the 13th trick. But I don't see a line for 7NT, as West has spades stopped and East has hearts.

I like to play Lebensohl in this situation. With the partner I was playing with on this occasion, we currently play Lebensohl only over NT interfernce. And she is still learning the convention, as she recently missed the meaning of my direct cue bid of opponent's heart overcall. 4 was cold, but 3NT had no play. (And it was she who suggested that we use Lebensohl!) She is learning, though.

7 will also make when diamonds split 4-1 (where the second spade might be ruffed on a bad day) if you instead ruff a heart on the other side.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-03, 22:22

View Postjh51, on 2011-June-03, 13:15, said:

I must confess that I was the West who took advantage of the vulerability to make an outrageous 2 call. (I don't show the hand, but it was made on a 5 card suit and 3 HCP.) NS was a weak pair who clearly misbid to end up in 3NT. North overcalled 2NT, which clearly undervalues her hand.

I am curious as to how the folks on BBO would have bid this as NS after my call. I would assume one would start off with a take-out double, but what then?

Without great agreements N/S should still find slam as even a not great auction of:

P-P-2-3nt
P-4nt-P-6nt

would be possible (the 3nt is an underbid, but a 4nt quantitative with 11 HCP, 2 T, and the A of spades stopper seems warranted even over a "normal" 3nt).

I think the auction of:

P-P-2-X
P-2nt-P-3nt
P-4nt/6nt-P-6nt/P

would work. Over the X I'd play Lebensohl and for me as the S hand I'd want to bid 3nt but go through Lebensohl to show a spade stopper (direct denies). Normally the t/o doubler should bid 3 over 2nt, but here it is a paradox response of 3nt which the Leb bidder can now raise to reveal that they weren't making a weakness bid, and now the small nt slam is easily found.

If you aren't playing Leb then over the X if responder bids 2nt doubler bids 4nt and you end up in 6 and if responder bids 3nt you raise to 6.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users