BBO Discussion Forums: A decision at trick two - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A decision at trick two

#1 User is offline   gartinmale 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:statistics, bridge, sound recording and editing, crosswords, American football and baseball, making redoubled contracts (16 out of 35 and counting...)

Posted 2011-May-02, 02:15

At IMPs, you sit down as East against a pair playing a Precision variant. The opening of 1H could be 10 to a bad 15 points. 2D is a game force. South's 2NT bid denies holding four diamonds or spades, and does not necessarily promise stoppers in the unbid suits. Partner leads the three of clubs (probably fourth best), and declarer ducks to your queen. At trick two, do you start knocking out the clubs and wait for your tricks, or do you lead a spade? If South looks unhappy to be in 3NT, does it change your decision? I promise this isn't a hand I'm posting just to complain about the result. I'm genuinely interested to see if there is a consensus.

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-May-02, 03:12

Although it would have been nice to know which club declarer played to trick one I think returning a spade is the best defense. Partner can have spades (Axx, Qxx) and even if he doesn't, clubs have to be played twice in order to be set-up (and spades too when declarer holds AQ).

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-02, 09:10

Spade nine. Just so partner will have an easy pop from ace-third on the second duck, even though she should work it out anyway, unless I would be cute with QJT9 just to confuse things.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-02, 10:44

Here are a few things to consider:

1. If declarer has a weak / single stopper in spades (like Qxx or even Axx), why is the club being ducked? Therefore, I think its a reasonable conclusion that declarer has AQx

2. if declarer has a doubleton club, and non-solid diamonds, he is jeopardizing his diamond suit by allowing us to take off the entry early. Imagine AQxx JTxxx Kx xx. However, if that were the case, declarer has either four spades or six hearts. Accordingly, it does appear that declarer is probably 3523. With xxx / xx in the minors, ducking the club doesn't seem to gain anything.

I see a few possibilities:

A - Declarer looks like: AQx AJxxx xx xxx. Note if declarer has either the K / Q he's cold.

If we shift to spades, declarer wins the Q, and ducks a diamond. A spade continuation is ducked (otherwise we win 2S + 2D + 1C), and we can shift to a high heart and set. What about a club continuation? Declarer wins, ducks a diamond, and a club kills the entry. We will probably get this -2.

B - Declarer has AQx AJxxx K xxxx? A club shift is vital to take out the entry to the long diamonds. The endgame gets interesting if declarer has some good heart intermediates, but we will have to worry about that later.

A club seems to beat the hand when it can be beaten.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-03, 08:39

An easy one: If it was right to shift to spades, declarer would not have ducked the club.

That is not always true but since declarer knows clubs are 4-3 it is.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-02, 08:02

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-May-03, 08:39, said:

An easy one: If it was right to shift to spades, declarer would not have ducked the club.

That is not always true but since declarer knows clubs are 4-3 it is.

I can understand that. But also I was thinking that declarer could easily be light on high cards, and might be trying for a needed extra trick holding Jx or Jxx. From his perspective, is not west a favorite to hold the Q?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users