BBO Discussion Forums: Precision: Playing The Majors & Ace Asking Bids - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Precision: Playing The Majors & Ace Asking Bids

#1 User is offline   gurgistan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-24, 13:23

Hi all,

I am playing a simple style of precision with a 1M opener showing 11-15hcp and 5 cards.

1. Can responder use SA/2over1 methods after interference?
2. How widespread is the playing of 2over1 GF methods over the majors by precision players?

Let us say, I open 1 showing 16hcp+. Partner bids 1M(or any other positive bid). I now make an Ace Asking Bid.

1. Does my Ace Asking Bid agree his suit or not?
2. What is my point count for making the Ace Asking Bid?

All relevant help appreciated.

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-24, 14:18

View Postgurgistan, on 2011-February-24, 13:23, said:

Hi all,

I am playing a simple style of precision with a 1M opener showing 11-15hcp and 5 cards.

2. How widespread is the playing of 2over1 GF methods over the majors by precision players?

Let us say, I open 1 showing 16hcp+. Partner bids 1M(or any other positive bid). I now make an Ace Asking Bid.

After an overcall of 1M, it's impractical to play 2/1 as GF because 1N is generally played as natural and not forcing. Since 2/1 GF depends on 1N handling the GI strength hands (and is after that overcall not available), you need to relax your 2/1 requirements then to hands with invitational or better strength.

After 1M dbl you can play some version of transfers starting with rdbl and ending at 2M.

I'm not sure how widespread 2/1 GF has become over 1M. Katherine Wei wrote that it didn't fit in with the light opening style of 1M. Certain pairs (Meckwell) play that a 2/1 is GF unless the suit is rebid in a misfit situation (e.g. 1S-2C, 2D-3C). I think 2/1 GF has become increasingly popular with Precision pairs and others use 2C (or 1N where legal) as a GF bid to relay opener's hand.

After 1C-1M (or other bid), I think it would be best to set trump before using RKC. That leaves you a method to just ask for aces (when that's all you want to do) as well as RKC for partner's suit.

As far as point count, there isn't a set amount. Generally, you want to first make sure that you have enough strength (shape, tricks, hcps) to be at the 6-level. If you don't think you have enough, you should consider cue bidding or signing off. If you feel you do, you can use RKC to make sure that you are not off 2 key cards or are missing a key card and the trump queen. It's kind of bad form to be only missing one key card and then sign off in 5M; it's a sign that one hadn't done the preliminary work to find if the partnership strength belonged at the slam level.

#3 User is offline   dcohio 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 16:50

View Postgurgistan, on 2011-February-24, 13:23, said:

Hi all,

My partner and I play 2/1 over the majors. Over interference, we use cuebids as limit raises, negative doubles, redoubles showing 10+, and other gadgets commonly used in 2/1. We have upped our point range for making a 2/1 response to a good 13+.

For your second question, there is no reason to bid 1C-1S-4NT. You are already in a game force at the 1 level!! use that space to your advantage... your partner can't pass below game (if he does get a new partner). Show patterns, show controls, show support. Go slowly with strong hands, make jumps with minimums.

#4 User is offline   gurgistan 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 21:50

The Ace Asking Bid is actually a double jump shift but it is very old fashioned now. AAB: eg 1 1 4. It specifically asks for the Ace of the new suit but the responses allow all the outstanding to be shown.

#5 User is offline   gurgistan 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 16:01

View Postdcohio, on 2011-February-24, 16:50, said:

My partner and I play 2/1 over the majors. Over interference, we use cuebids as limit raises, negative doubles, redoubles showing 10+, and other gadgets commonly used in 2/1. We have upped our point range for making a 2/1 response to a good 13+.

For your second question, there is no reason to bid 1C-1S-4NT. You are already in a game force at the 1 level!! use that space to your advantage... your partner can't pass below game (if he does get a new partner). Show patterns, show controls, show support. Go slowly with strong hands, make jumps with minimums.

Are you using Jordan 2N?

#6 User is offline   dcohio 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-27, 12:03

Yes, 2NT over a double is inv+ with support for the major. Rdbl over a double is inv+ without support for the major.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users