Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

what do I bid next? bidding

#1 User is offline   Flumby 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-February-15, 11:18

My partner opened and did no bid. Our opponents bid 1 heart, I had a hand of 10 points with even distribution. I replied no bid. When the bid got back to my partner he bid 1 NT. Opposition bidded no bid. What should my response be???? I bidded 2NT!

My partner was not happy and got very annoyed. I see him tmw and would like to know anyones advice.

To me a no bid starter means he does not have 12 points. When he bids 1 nt he has a weak nt with even distribution the same as me. I had no 5 card suits so had nothing to offer in a single suit so I bid 2 NT!

should I have left it at 1 NT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-15, 11:31

View PostFlumby, on 2011-February-15, 11:18, said:

My partner opened and did no bid. Our opponents bid 1 heart, I had a hand of 10 points with even distribution. I replied no bid. When the bid got back to my partner he bid 1 NT. Opposition bidded no bid. What should my response be???? I bidded 2NT!

My partner was not happy and got very annoyed. I see him tmw and would like to know anyones advice.

To me a no bid starter means he does not have 12 points. When he bids 1 nt he has a weak nt with even distribution the same as me. I had no 5 card suits so had nothing to offer in a single suit so I bid 2 NT!

should I have left it at 1 NT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

It sounds to me like not only does your partner have an 11-12 or so point hand, but he has no real suit to suggest (and has a heart stopper). With no reason to try for game, and no suit to try and pull to I'd just pass 1NT.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-15, 13:49

Your 2nt bid invites partner to bid 3nt even in this auction.

Since your partner passed first you need at least a King more strength to send that message. Many 13 pt hands should have passed at the first turn in your position here with no good suit or the wrong shape for a takeout double so raising on the 10 pt. hand you describe misleads your partner as to your strength.

It's more important to protect a positive score by passing 1nt here and only consider a further bid (or double) if the opponents bid on. In fact, you have 3 opponents in this situation. If you can make 2nt your partner will likely bid 3nt and fail.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-February-15, 14:22

Flumby,

With every call you make, you should have a purpose. What is the purpose of bidding 2N here?

One purpose would be to preempt the opponents. Surely that's not the right one here. Partner has a good hand, and you have a good hand. If the opponents come in, you'll welcome them with open arms (and with a slew of double cards).

Another would be to help partner make a choice about the final contract. In other words, to invite game or slam. However, if partner is limited (passed hand), there is no game (let alone slam) available here. So this isn't a good reason to bid either.

This is one you should let go at 1N and take the plus score.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users