Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB if any Missed game

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-08, 11:09

Matchpoints with you as the best pair in a poor field, needing to be in the top 3 out of maybe 8 pairs in a 9 table field to qualify for the next stage of a national competition (not every pair playing was attempting to Q). First board of the evening.

We don't play support doubles, but (takeout) double and then removing 3 to 3 strongly suggests 3-6 in the majors. We also don't need the world for a 3 rebid (this hand would qualify as 7 playing tricks, 2N would be GF artificial so 3 is limited), but N decided not to as he held 3 spades. S looked at the quality of his spades and decided not to bid 3 over 3.

This scored us 0/16 with spades 3-2 and K onside so you can't go wrong. In fact even with K wrong, you are still gin in 4 with spades 3-2, as you can establish the spades if they play 2 rounds (duck the first), and concede a club and discard a spade if they don't.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-08, 13:03

Not a fan of any system where I have to double with 3=7 in our suits so I can't comment on the nuances of a structure like this.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-08, 14:05

South underbid (twice, I think). To bid like this, opener has to have quite a good hand - with a minimum 3-6 he'd just bid 2 or 2.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-08, 14:13

Didn't North show the same strength as a jump to 3 over 2? Then South has an easy raise to 4. If North might also double with a weaker 3613 then I don't agree with the methods as it is too likely to end in the wrong partscore.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-January-08, 17:11

In the discussion afterwards, everybody agreed you should bury the spade fit and just bid 3 over 2. You don't want to be playing in spades even if partner has 5 as 2 rounds of diamonds and the heart suit is dead if the king is offside. S would then bid 4.

X in the absence of a club holding shows a 3-6 13-14 count, ie the sort of hand that is maximum for a 1 opener and 2 rebid, with 3 spades and in doubt as to which suit to play in. We would tend to bid 2 on any hand however minimum with 6 hearts over 2 (should have mentioned 1 only showed 4).

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-09, 05:23

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-January-08, 17:11, said:

In the discussion afterwards, everybody agreed you should bury the spade fit and just bid 3 over 2.
I think I would rebid 4 over 2.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-09, 06:40

typical 3 opener in 4th seat, after which responder has an easy raise.

#8 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-09, 07:14

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-08, 14:05, said:

South underbid (twice, I think). To bid like this, opener has to have quite a good hand - with a minimum 3-6 he'd just bid 2 or 2.

I agree with this.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-January-09, 08:17

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-January-09, 06:40, said:

typical 3 opener in 4th seat, after which responder has an easy raise.

Which was the other question that came up, what does a 4th seat 3 bid mean ? Partner certainly considered it, and if he bids it should I raise ?

I thought on our actual auction, AQx, AQJxxx, Jx, xx was typical in which case 3 was plenty.

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-09, 08:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-January-09, 08:17, said:

I thought on our actual auction, AQx, AQJxxx, Jx, xx was typical in which case 3 was plenty.

Doubling is an overbid with this hand, why go to the 3-level without any substantial extras? Just bid 2H.

Edit: Needless to say I agree with gnasher that passing 3H was a huge underbid.
(I am not sure 3 was an underbid - sure, West's hand is worth a game try if he knows about a major suit fit, but without it I don't see where we are going, and 4 might be too high.)

This post has been edited by cherdano: 2011-January-09, 08:45

The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-09, 10:04

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-January-09, 08:17, said:

1. Which was the other question that came up, what does a 4th seat 3 bid mean ? Partner certainly considered it,

2. and if he bids it should I raise ?

1. It shows a classical preempt with a side trick or two. Certainly not KQJTxxx and out, since that hand passes (opps have more hcp than we).

2. Since it's imps, certainly. You can't be too sure to make, but you definitely want to give it a shot.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-January-09, 11:30

View Postcherdano, on 2011-January-09, 08:42, said:

Doubling is an overbid with this hand, why go to the 3-level without any substantial extras? Just bid 2H.

Edit: Needless to say I agree with gnasher that passing 3H was a huge underbid.
(I am not sure 3 was an underbid - sure, West's hand is worth a game try if he knows about a major suit fit, but without it I don't see where we are going, and 4 might be too high.)

Sorry, should have said, 3 is the better of 2 ways of bidding 3, so definitely not an underbid. I've shown a 9-10 with this bid, what I haven't shown is Kx and useful cards outside.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users