• You cannot reply to this topic

New System

#21 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-30, 13:46

View Poststraube, on 2010-October-30, 13:25, said:

I've been pretty critical all along of this system. I recognize, however, that there are tradeoffs here and that there are many instances where a canape system will win.

Huh? If mikestar13 had meant this to be a canapé system, he would surely be playing Antiflannery rather than Flannery, would he not?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 14:57

View Postmgoetze, on 2010-October-30, 13:46, said:

Huh? If mikestar13 had meant this to be a canapé system, he would surely be playing Antiflannery rather than Flannery, would he not?

You're fond of asking rhetorical questions, aren't you? And you like to use more than one question mark, don't you??

Mikestar13 explained how he would handle his major suit disparities (not canape) but not how he would distinguish his 5M/4m from 4M/5m patterns. I suggested this was a problem when I wrote...

Mike's structure is fundamentally flawed in that it has no way to distinguish such patterns as 5M/4m from 4M/5m, let alone differentiate the strength of the hand.

I'm not sure whether Mikestar13 intends to canape with 4M/5m. I think he would want to be able to mention a 5-cd suit.

I don't think I'll revisit this thread, but good luck Mikestar13 on your system development.

#23 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-30, 15:07

OK, I guess you have a different understanding of what a "canapé system" is than I do ("rhetorical" questions are great for figuring out these hidden definitions). I wouldn't call a system a "canapé system" just because you open 1 with 45, for instance. A "canapé system" is, for me, one where you systematically open your second-longest suit most of the time (e.g. Blue Club).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#24 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-October-30, 16:27

http://en.wikipedia....p%C3%A9_(bridge)

Wikipedia said:

Canapé is a bridge treatment which refers to a system of bidding where the second suit bid is always longer than (or at least as long as) the first.

Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#25 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-30, 17:40

This system is not canape, it is majors first. The major is opened with 4M/5m and with 5M/4m.

#26 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 20:00

Another excellent bid I forgot to mention: 1M-4M is either preemptive or "game but no slam". This is only possible opposite a limited opening. Let fourth hand with some good values guess what kind of raise it is--we don't need to know.

#27 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 20:21

How does this differ from precision with 4cM?

#28 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-October-30, 20:41

View Postfoobar, on 2010-October-30, 10:22, said:

It might be interesting to look at another strong system with canape that doesn't use an ambiguous :

http://bridgewithdan...stems/Ultra.pdf

Apparently, there's an update coming up soon -- Keylime can chime in if he's around..

Yes, we have upgraded Ultra to C3: Copious Canape Club and are testing it one more time at the Virginia Beach Regional (after a go at Reno). After that we will probably post it so that Dan Neill can have it on his site.

We only canape minor into major or major into minor. With both majors we bid them naturally (longer first). All our two bids are 10-14 hcp 5-cd Major and usually 6-cd minors.

Larry
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#29 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 20:59

View Postmikestar13, on 2010-October-30, 20:00, said:

Another excellent bid I forgot to mention: 1M-4M is either preemptive or "game but no slam". This is only possible opposite a limited opening. Let fourth hand with some good values guess what kind of raise it is--we don't need to know.

Anyone who plays Precision can use this, as well as Polish Club etc... You're missing the point. Your system is fundamentally flawed, and no matter what responses you use, especially treatments that are used in a standard precision or 2/1 context, it will not change the fact that this system just plain will not work... No matter how many times you make a raise to 4M that I can do the same with. No matter how many weak jump raises you make.

#30 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 14:58

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2010-October-30, 20:59, said:

Anyone who plays Precision can use this, as well as Polish Club etc... <snip>

Of course. I said "limited opening" not "in this system." I've mainly been disputing the notion that my system provides no preemption. By the way,
if you like aggressive openings, try ditching Flannery and opening all constructive bids 2 points lighter than my specifications.

#31 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2010-October-31, 18:10

View Postmikestar13, on 2010-October-31, 14:58, said:

...I've mainly been disputing the notion that my system provides no preemption. ...

They are not saying that - they are saying the system has no more preemption than a 2/1 system.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#32 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 18:34

View Postglen, on 2010-October-31, 18:10, said:

They are not saying that - they are saying the system has no more preemption than a 2/1 system.

Fair enough. No more preemption than 2/1 but also no less.

#33 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 18:43

I think this system is ok.

Probably 1 16+ if unbalanced would be better and I would like flexibility to choose not open 1NT with a five card major, especially a weak NT. And you will have to work out the continuations after 1/ which will not be easy. I would ditch flannery and accept the rebid problem with 4513 - either passing or bidding a 3 card minor. The majors first approach means all of these sequences will be an adventure as responder will be guessing whether to pass or give preference. As long as you're playing a 4-2 sometimes, a 3-3 with a ruffing value won't be much worse.

It's definitely more preemptive than 2/1. What about all the hands where you open 1 while 2/1 opens 1/ and the next hand has enough for 1 but not 2?

#34 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 19:29

View Postmikestar13, on 2010-October-31, 18:34, said:

Fair enough. No more preemption than 2/1 but also no less.

Next time I am designing a system, I'll design it so it has no advantages over standard, but plenty of flaws :)

#35 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-01, 15:27

I routinely bid 1M-3M with four trumps and a stiff--I won't bid it with a balanced hand. Similarly 1M-4M (when preemptive) may be five trumps and a stiff.

#36 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-02, 15:53

I routinely pass hands with 0-5 HCP and no 6 card suit. Ooooooooh, aaaaaaaahhhh.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users