• You cannot reply to this topic

Partnership Meshing Questionaire

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-24, 16:59

I seem to recall that someone, perhaps Eddie Kantar, had a list of example questions for prospective new partners to be able to read their philosophy as far as bidding. I have recently thought that this might be an interesting idea to develop.

For example, consider a few examples of things that might plausibly make the list.

1. You open One Diamond with x-AQJx-KJxxx-10xx (agree or disagree). If so, what is your rebid after partner responds One Spade, and why?

2. You have Axx-Jxx-Axx-QJxx and partner opens One Diamond, RHO overcalling One Spade. Your response?

3. You pass as dealer, and LHO opens One Heart. Partner overcalls One Spade, RHO raising to Two Hearts. You have Qxxx-xxx-AQxxx-x. Your call, and why? Discuss vulnerability and scoring if relevant.

It seems like the answers to these types of questions reveal a lot about the core thinking of a player, perhaps more important than structural agreements. Structure can always be discussed and agreed, but having similar general principles in undiscussed sequences seems critical to a refined partnership.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-25, 02:17

Sounds like a good idea, but this questions should be directed to new long term partnerships, when it comes to new partners for an evening I start with LHO openes 1, you overcall 1NT, RHO passes and I bid 2, wich major do I have?

Reason is, you can get away with a decent result playing in a 4-3 heart fit, but playing in a 2-3 heart fit has no recovery.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users