• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

BBO Web-client V38 Post suggestions and bug reports here

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-02, 11:17

Version 38 of the BBO web-client is now available. You can find out more about the changes in V38 here:

Link to V38 announcement post

Feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are very welcome. We may not respond to every post that will appear in this thread, but I promise that we will read and consider what you have to say.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-05, 02:55

Not bug, but suggestion:

When you right-click on another player's name, in addition to the option to join that table in the popup option list, could we also please have an option to join the club or tournament at which that player currently resides? So that you get to see all of the tables at that tournament and all of the players at the selected player's table, before committing?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-September-05, 03:03

If you click on the player's name to get his profile, there is a Table tab - click it to see who's at the table before joining.

As for the club/tourney you can click the Back button once after joining that player's table.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-September-05, 03:05

Not bug, but suggestion:

In addition to the "<-Back", "Home", and "Log off" options in yellow background on the menu bar, could we also have an "^Up" option which takes you up a level from a table to the tourney or club in which the table resides, just in case that was not the last place you were at before joining the table (so "Back" will not take you there).

If you were already at tourney or club level and clicked on "Up" it would duplicate the effect of clicking on "Home", so you could either live with duplication or have the button greyed out or disappear when it would otherwise duplicate. Personally I would be happy with the duplication, and that would also be easier to program.

This suggestion, and the preceding one, would I think remove an existing advantage of the Windows interface. If your priority is to get players weaned off the Windows interface, then this may affect your attitude to implementing these suggestions.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-September-05, 03:11

diana_eva, on Sep 5 2010, 10:03 AM, said:

If you click on the player's name to get his profile, there is a Table tab - click it to see who's at the table before joining.

Thanks for that. That does go a long way to addressing my preference, but it is not a total substitute for my suggestion. Clicking on the table tab of the profile does not list all of the other tables in play at that location.

diana_eva, on Sep 5 2010, 10:03 AM, said:

As for the club/tourney you can click the Back button once after joining that player's table.

That only works if the last location that you visited was the tourney or club prior to joining the table. If you happened to be at "Home" when you joined the player's table (by clicking on his name from Home) and then click on "Back" it takes you back to "Home", not to the level up.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-September-05, 03:25

I stand partially corrected.

Clicking on "Back" appears to work inconsistently depending on context.
If join a table at a tourney, then click on Back, it takes you up to the main tourney level regardless of the previous page that you were at. I think that this may have been a change to the web client when it was initially implemented. While it is an improvement I still don't think it is optimal.

For a start, it seems that if from home I join a table at which a specified individual is a kibbitzer or player in a public club, and then click on back, it takes me home, not to the club.

Secondly, there may be a genuine reason why I might want to go back to my previous page, for which the "Back" button was originally designed, and that option is now denied to me if it has been reassigned to "Up".

I think that there is room on the page for an Up button as well as a Back button.

Also, an option to join the tournament or club where a specified individual resides, such as by right click on his name, would be of added use when joining the specified table is barred (or requires permission, and you don't want to bother the table host).

#7 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-05, 03:50

Also on the theme of navigating within a tourney etc:

1) I would like a "go to the other table" button in a TM or vugraph. I guess an "up" button would also solve this issue, but why have two clicks when you could have one!

2) When a vugraph ends you are taken to a screen which allows you to view the other table. As far as I can tell, when you're kibitzing a TM the same thing doesn't happen.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-September-05, 06:34

Intuitively, if you wanted to start a team game, and you are at the Home page of BBO, which link would you expect to click on in order to achieve this, between the following two options?
"Start a table"
and
"List all tables" (and then "Team matches")

I submit that I do not want to list all tables if I wish to start one.

#9 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-05, 20:34

Not really a bug (at least if it is a bug it is an extremely unimportant one), but in the Windows version, if I look at the list of kibitzers, everyone marked as a friend appears first, always.

In the web version, this happens too, except that occasionally someone marked as a friend appears in their alphabetical order amongst the neutral users. Then, if I click them to see their profile, they are moved to the top of the list amongst all the other friends.

(Also - but I assume deliberately - in the web version my own username appears in alphabetical order amongst the neutral users instead of at the top of the list.)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#10 User is offline   brillage 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-September-08, 22:01

1. How to chat to the lobbies?
Maybe I need a player at a table, or substituters at a TM/Tournament.
I can do it in the Windows-version.

2. How to choose a Language I like?
Maybe I like English rather than my Local Language.
I like the option in the Windows-version.

Thanks!

#11 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2010-September-08, 22:17

brillage, on Sep 8 2010, 11:01 PM, said:

1. How to chat to the lobbies?
Maybe I need a player at a table, or substituters at a TM/Tournament.
I can do it in the Windows-version.

2. How to choose a Language I like?
Maybe I like English rather than my Local Language.
I like the option in the Windows-version.

Thanks!

1) There is no lobby, so you cannot chat to lobby.

However, web version team game is like main bridge club games. Anyone using web version will be able to try to and join your team game if they see an open seat. The problem right now is not too many seem to know about this great feature.

2) You can force BBO to open in any language.
http://forums.bridge...showtopic=27177
Check out this thread. basically there's a link to use, and then you insert the language code behind it.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#12 User is offline   mohitz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-08, 22:47

655321, on Sep 6 2010, 08:04 AM, said:

In the web version, this happens too, except that occasionally someone marked as a friend appears in their alphabetical order amongst the neutral users. Then, if I click them to see their profile, they are moved to the top of the list amongst all the other friends.

This happens when they are invisible i think and not randomly.
All your ace are belong to us!

#13 User is offline   brillage 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-September-08, 23:01

Thank you Rain :)

Can I mark my friends into several groups?

#14 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-09, 01:33

Right-click on a person's name and check out the "select category" option. You can define your own groups and sort them by colors

#15 User is offline   brillage 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-September-09, 07:17

diana_eva, on Sep 9 2010, 02:33 AM, said:

Right-click on a person's name and check out the "select category" option. You can define your own groups and sort them by colors

Thank you very much :)

#16 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-10, 06:25

In hands and results I was viewing the list of boards of a tourney.
Obviously, the sum is not correct.

Karl

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-10, 20:39

The numbers at the bottom are not the sum, they're the average. Your net IMPs were 31.03. Divide that by 15 boards and you get 2.07 IMPs per board.

Like percentages in matchpoint games, this is a useful way of comparing tourneys with different numbers of boards.

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2010-September-10, 21:20

Useful, perhaps, but it looks confusing, not least because if you watch a viewgraph match it shows the total rather than average. Perhaps the presentation might be improved, such as by the label "average" beside the number. And showing both a positive and equal and opposite negative average side by side seems superfluous, where both figures are of relevance if given as totals. Or perhaps give both total and average

#19 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2010-September-11, 12:18

Hi all,
Suggestion - in bidding room when rotating the hands 180 degrees randomly, rotate the dealer as well. Sometimes we do want to practice the same hands with different dealers, but it is more common to want to know a particular hand is dealing in relation to the hands (practicing Drury e.g.).

Thanks,
Dan

#20 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2010-September-12, 08:56

yesterday i was approached by a player from brazil who appeared to be a new user.

he told me he had been collecting the names of brazilian players, making his list available and asking if i kept a similar list.

in the old version we could select the view to display the players by flag and therefore finding persons from a specific country.

the task for seeking persons from a specific country must be quite burdensome, but perhaps necessary for monolingual persons, could we have an option in the find people by country as opposed touser name in the web version?

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users