BBO Discussion Forums: Questions about Precision - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about Precision part 1

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-December-27, 19:30

I bought Precision Today by Berkowitz and Manley and after reading it I was left with several questions unanswered (I think).

Say partner opens 1 and I hold:

KTxx
x
QJTxx
QJx

Let's say I transfer to via 2:

1. How would we find a 4-4 spade fit? If I understand correctly partner will accept the transfer any time he has 3 cards and by beta-accepting he'll get to know my controls. What if he holds:

AQJx
AKQxx
K9x
x

What about the possible 5-3 heart fit? And if you tell me Majors are the priority, are control askings over? What if hearts and clubs were reversed in both hands? How about Trump-Asking and Control-Asking Bids?

2. What if responder holds a 6m-5M? Majors take precedence?

3. Will we sometimes end up playing in a 5-3 Major when there is a 4-4 Major available?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2009-December-27, 21:28

Playing Transfer Precision:

1. Opener will NOT accept the transfer when he has a good 5-card major that can be shown cheaply. If there is not a fit in the major, then he can bid 3 as Beta with diamonds trumps.

Bidding might go 1 - 2 - 2 - 2  - 2NT (if looking for 4-cd spade suit) / 3 checking on controls just in case you have more than a minimum.

2. 5-card majors usually take precedence over 6-card minors unless there is a big disparity in honors (Axxxx vs KQTxxx).

3. Major 4-4 fits will sometime not be found if responder's hand is not balanced and he shows 3-card (or better) support for opener's 5-card (or better) major.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-June-11, 16:25

So 3 means opener has a 4-card fit, does it ask to start cue-bidding? Could opener just rebid 4? Is 3 some sort of asking?

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-12, 14:14

This is one of the big disadvantages of the transfers into minors -- I have had very similar problems when playing them, and one of the options is to make the 2 call also Staymanesque: S1 - Side 4cM, S2+ - Normal responses without a 4cM. After S1, then opener can bid S1 to go back to the normal responses, and S2 to ask for a 4cM.

It's not perfect, but it worked for a few of my partnerships, and helped us avoid ridiculous 3N or 5m contracts when we are cold for 4M.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-June-12, 15:44

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-June-11, 16:25, said:

So 3 means opener has a 4-card fit, does it ask to start cue-bidding? Could opener just rebid 4? Is 3 some sort of asking?

There are various possibilities: 2 could be SAB and then 2 would be no support and 1-3 Controls, now 3 would be a SAB-4 ask and the response would show 4-cd support and a minimum hand (1-3 Controls)
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2011-June-12, 15:53

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-June-12, 14:14, said:

This is one of the big disadvantages of the transfers into minors -- I have had very similar problems when playing them, and one of the options is to make the 2 call also Staymanesque: S1 - Side 4cM, S2+ - Normal responses without a 4cM. After S1, then opener can bid S1 to go back to the normal responses, and S2 to ask for a 4cM.

It's not perfect, but it worked for a few of my partnerships, and helped us avoid ridiculous 3N or 5m contracts when we are cold for 4M.

True, transfers into minors are problematic, but they can be handled with some artificiality. Keylime and I play 1 - 2 (either or both minors) - 2 (Relay) - 2 = 5+ clubs / 2 = 5+ diamonds and 2NT = 5-5.

See url below for more details.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users