• You cannot reply to this topic

Which line? for this slam

#1 User is offline   zheddh 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-September-15, 01:15

Scoring: IMP

You have an uncontested auction to 6H

EDIT: West leads 3 of clubs. South is the declarer after North opens a Precision 1. This is a 10 board IMP Pairs tournament on BBO with 29 tables playing.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's razor (by courtesy of hrothgar)

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-September-15, 02:25

I will make the spade finese sooner or later, so lets try just now, A, ruff fiense.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-15, 11:35

.. but if the K drops on a couple ruffs, I won't need the spade finesse. So I will try that before finessing.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-September-15, 15:05

billw55, on Sep 15 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

.. but if the K drops on a couple ruffs, I won't need the spade finesse.

Yes you will, unless you seriously believe trumps are 2-2 on this hand. Somehow, I don't think the question would be posted if that was the case.

Edit:

If trumps are 2-2, you will not need the spade finesse, but you will when trumps are 3-1. And you cannot cash the AK trumps to find out, because then it will be too late. The spade finesse must be taken first. So........

A clubs, club ruff, spade to the J.....if it loses, then we play for 2-2 trumps (and I think spades will have to be 3-3 also).

If it wins, club ruff (has the club king dropped?),

If the club K has dropped, we cash the heart AK and claim 6 or 7, depending on the trump break.

Otherwise, cash the Ace of hearts, spade to the king, and lead dummies last club:

When clubs are 4-4, RHO will follow to this trick, as you ruff with your remaining small trump, Ace of diamonds, ruff a diamond, heart K, and again claim 6 or 7 depending on the trump break

If clubs are 5-3 (LHO starting with 5), and RHO pitches, ruff, followed by Ace of diamonds, ruff diamond, and claim as above.

If clubs are 5-3 (LHO starting with 5) and RHO Ruffs, then pitch a spade or diamond. Win whatever he returns, play the king of hearts (hearts were either 2-2 or 3-1 and RHO ruffed with a natural trump trick) and claim 6.

If clubs are 3-5, we ruff and LHO:

Discards. Ace of diamonds, diamond ruff and claim.

Overruffs. At this point, I think the only return he could possibly make that will hurt us would be a third spade, where his partner started with a doubleton trump and a doubleton spade.

If thats the case, I think I just have to accept defeat.

(Anybody got a better line? I'm sure there is one.)
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-September-15, 15:12

And you can't afford to test trumps first, because you're very likely to need 3 ruffs.

Is there any chance the lead could be from the K? Or even if the finesse loses, maybe the J will fall on the 3rd round. If neither of these works, you still have 2-2 trumps and the finesse to fall back on.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users