#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-July-15, 14:01

A few months ago a friend after watching me play had this to say,

MJ said:

"If you cannot claim after pulling trump – you probably shouldn’t be pulling trump."

Unless I can see right away how Im going to make my contract I usually start by pulling trump and hoping for the best, I don’t get many top boards doing this. The advice was to set up my side suits first, uncomfortable, frightful and at first I’d start to do it for 1 or 2 tricks then go back to pulling trump.

However, I’ve taken this advice onboard, changed my play and my declarer play has improved 1000x. :)

I don’t know if other B/I’s play like me but if you do – try this.

Yeah, yeah and before anyone says it 1000 x 0 ...
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH

#2 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-15, 14:06

Perhaps better advice is: If you don't know what your plan is going to be after pulling trump, don't pull trump. After all, there are many hands where it's right to pull trump but you will still need to take some finesse in a side suit to make your contract, etc.

Of course, even better advice is: If you don't know what your plan is, don't play any cards. After all, it's always good to have a plan before starting to play tricks and realizing you went wrong at trick one or two.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   Vilgan 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Hiking, MTG, Go, Pacific NW.

Posted 2008-July-15, 14:40

awm, on Jul 15 2008, 03:06 PM, said:

Of course, even better advice is: If you don't know what your plan is, don't play any cards. After all, it's always good to have a plan before starting to play tricks and realizing you went wrong at trick one or two.

I like this rule best :)

#4 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-15, 16:20

Yes. I have a partner that has a habit that annoys me as dummy. She'll win the first trick and then pause for 30 seconds or more to plan the hand. Plan the hand before playing to the first trick. Similarly, in the middle of the play of the hand she'll sometimes win a trick that could have been won on dummy or in hand. And then she'll pause for 10-15 seconds to consider what card to be played next. In general, know what card you plan to play to the next trick before playing to this trick (occasionally being pulled up short when an unexpected 6-0 break occurs is one thing, but when opps follow low as expected there should be no need to pause).

#5 User is offline   georgeac 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-16, 22:45

I found Bridgemaster helped me a ton as well. Although I wanted to throw my computer out the window because they kept switching cards lol.

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-July-17, 00:29

How about this rule: think ahead.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2008-July-17, 00:34

Oh well, I guess Im the only one who always started a contract by pulling trump. :(
This (new) approach seems to be working for me.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH

#8 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 00:37

jillybean2, on Jul 17 2008, 12:34 AM, said:

Oh well, I guess Im the only one who always started a contract by pulling trump. :(
This approach seems to be working for me.

Absolutely no, you are not. I think pulling trumps before you should is maybe the most frequent B/I mistake in declarer play.
And you were right anyway, since your rule had bigger letters than Adams :)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 01:41

I really like MJ's rule for B/Is.

It is emotive and focuses on two key elements - drawing trumps and claiming. B/Is love the first and hate the second. So it immediately gets them to think ahead ... the reward for thinking is that they will be allowed to draw trumps.

It is better than han's and adam's 'make a plan' suggestions. Where's the fun in that? No mention of drawing trumps!

BOCTAOE.

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2008-July-17, 10:52

Since everyone knows I belong in the Bridge for Dummies class, I guess this question wont hurt too much :blink:

Can some please explain WHY it is (sometimes) important to set up your side suits before pulling trump.

#11 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 11:05

jillybean2, on Jul 17 2008, 11:52 AM, said:

Since everyone knows I belong in the Bridge for Dummies class, I guess this question wont hurt too much :blink:

Can some please explain WHY it is (sometimes) important to set up your side suits before pulling trump.

You might need your trumps to ruff out the side suit. The number of rounds you can draw will be limited by how often the opponents can get in and lead more trump as you are losing the tricks needed to establish the side suit.

You might need to leave trumps in the short hand to retain control. The number of rounds you can draw will be limited by how many times the opponents can get in and try to tap you as you are losing the tricks needed to establish the side suit.

You need the trump suit for communications.

I'm sure there are many more reasons than this.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#12 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2008-July-17, 14:41

jillybean2, on Jul 17 2008, 11:52 AM, said:

Here is a rule I tell all beginner students that I have: Set up your side suit before touching trumps. It is important because if you pull trumps first you can lose control of the hand easily, and often your entries are tied to trumps so you don't want to kill them before your side suit has been set up, and sometimes you need those trumps for ruffing out your side suit, etc.

#13 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-July-17, 14:55

I think the main thing to ask are "can I afford to pull trumps on this hand?" and "do I have to pull trumps on this hand?"

Will I need these trumps later to ruff something? Can I draw trumps & still have enough to get the number of ruffs I need? Do I need them to maintain control or communication? What if my finesse loses or a suit doesn't split? Do I have to guess the trump Q now or will playing other suits give me the info I need? If I play other suits will the opps lead trumps for me & remove my guess?

And the flip side of course is mostly "if I don't draw trumps are the opps going to be able to ruff my winners with tricks they aren't entitled to?"

But it all goes back to what Adam said, have a plan. Plan how many tricks you are hoping for in each suit & which order you are going to take them in, with some contingencies for finesses winning/losing, suits splitting or not.

Read lots of declarer play problem books & work out complete solutions before looking at the answer, and play BridgeMaster. The great thing about books is you have to plan out the whole thing, you can't just play tricks & see what happens which is a bad habit of int- players. Everytime I see dummy for the first time, I basically pretend it's a book problem, figure out the solution, then follow it.

#14 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2008-July-18, 00:56

jillybean2, on Jul 18 2008, 01:52 AM, said:

Say, you play 4 Spade with hands like

ATx KQJxx
xxx xx
KQJxx xx
Kx Axxx

The opponents start with 3 round of hearts, you ruff.
What are your possible plans?
1. Draw trumps. No good if trumps are 4-1. When you try to establish your diamonds, they win the ace and cash their hearts.

2. . Don´t draw trumps, establish the diamonds righ now. Much better. They win their ace and what can they do? If they play a heart, you can ruff in dummy and you can win any other lead and draw trumps. There may be problems, when the diamonds are 5-2 or worse, because they may win the 2. round of diamonds and get a trump promotion, but this risk is much lower then the risk of a 4-1 Spade break.
So, by establishing the side suit first, you don't lose trump control.

3. This is much better- but still not the best line. You can have the best of both worlds: Draw two round of trumps and if they are 3-2 draw the last and play on diamonds. If they are 4-1, abandon trumps for the moment and play on diamonds. This line will win as long as the 4 trumps are not with the doubelton diamond behind your main hand.

But this does not work with any hands. There are many hands where you cannot affort to draw just one round of trumps and have to establish the side suit asap.

Other reasons to draw trumps later: You need the trumps to reach dummy, because there are no other entries, or you need the trumps to ruff some other losers in your main hand.

So, you must be clear whether you need the trumps in the short hand for one of this reasons or not. If not, draw trumps and this is right in most hands.

But as all B/I players always start with drawing trumps and planning later (or never), any help which makes them think about this concept is great.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#15 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2008-July-18, 06:09

Danny Roth covers this in his relatively new book "How Good Is Your Bridge"?
Its a good book for B/I on declarere and defense play.

He writes:

Do not draw trumps unless you are fully confident taht you know exactly what is going to happen afterwards. If you are - and that includes being able to cater for a bad split - go ahead. If not, it is likely to be right to delay drawing trumps.

Trumps can be important for entries, or to maintain control.

#16 User is offline   Tola18 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cats.

Posted 2008-July-18, 15:36

About the fear they may ruff if I dont pull trumps:

Sometimes, NOT SELDOM, it is useful they do make a ruff. It is seen frequently if the trumps are divided uneven, and we can force the long side to ruff. Sometimes even two ruffs. After it our trumps will dominate and the otherwise difficult contract may be made.
Cats bring joy and a feeling of harmony and well-being into a home.
Many homeless cats seek a home.
Adopt one. Contact a cat shelter!
You too can be an everyday hero. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users