Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1N-(3H) Always preemptive?

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-March-20, 10:30

I suppose that after a 15-17 1N opening a jump th 3H be second hand is played as preemptive. How about against lesser strength NT openings?

Playing pick-up the auction began 1N(13-15)-(3H). I am fourth seat. We are vul, they are not. I am neither rich nor broke. I am considering my options when my rho puts in a penalty double. OK, that lets me off the hook for this hand but I realize that I am not so sure what is reasonably thought of as default against 13-15 or 12-14 (or less) nt openings.

Your opinion? Both as to what you think is defualt and what you think is best?
Ken

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-March-20, 12:50

Against weak NT, I think most recommend that you should have a good hand to make a 2-level overcall (using whatever methods you use), because you may still have a game. So there's no reason to jump to show a strong hand, and this should be purely preemptive.

#3 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-20, 12:54

I don't know that the definitions are mutually exclusive.

I use a 3 overcall to mean the same thing as a 3rd hand 3 opening, which can be very wide ranging. I'm not going to have a 15 count for it, but

Axx
AKxxxxx
xx
x

is not out of the question, for example.

#4 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-21, 07:44

A hand which has a lot of offense but not enough defense to defend anything doubled.

Something like x KJT9xxx KQJx x seems reasonable.

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-21, 11:31

To me, 13-15 is still weak.

A jump overcall shows a hand slightly too good for a 2 overcall, something like a great 14 to 17.

It doesn't make sense to double 1N with a one suiter of this strength.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-March-21, 12:31

Preemptive against a strong notrump, good playing strength opposite a weak notrump.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2008-March-21, 12:57

If I read these responses correctly there seems to be a divergence of views. The last three seem to suggest that I, as fourth hand, might well consider raising to 4 with, say, the A of something and the King of hearts. Or some such. The ace of something and the Q of hearts would give a play opposite Roger Clee's holding although of course I might lose two diamonds unless the ace is in diamonds. So at least holding slightly more than my side ace and a fitting honor it seems 4H is the right call. Earlier responses, I think, are such that this would be suicidal if my partner is playing their way.

My fourth hand holding was modest and I probably was not going to raise (good choice!) but I was giving it consideration.

Thanks. I encounter weak NTs more often online than I do locally in f2f. Anyone wish to suggest a good defensive structure? Your own or, more easily for you, a link? Currently I just use either Capp or Natural and I suppose one should adjust to the different circumstances.
Ken

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2008-March-24, 08:03

Against 12-14 / 13-15, I would still play
it as preemptive.
And for memory reaason, against a weaker
NT opening as well.

A direct 1-suiter overcall should already
show constructive values, i.e. 10-15HCP.

Because of frequency issues, I dont think
it makes sense to play 3H as +16HCP and
a 6 carder.
But maybe you can play it as a strong
specific 2-suiter.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2008-March-24, 09:49

pclayton, on Mar 21 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

Why?

Opening side will rarely sit the double, and if they do you can lead your suit and probably have better chances of setting for a big number than if you held some balanced 16. If they bid on then you can name your suit.

Wouldn't it be sad if you have KQJxxxx and out, and have to pass because 2 shows a better hand and 3 shows a much better hand, and you hear 1NT-P-4-P/O when every other table is taking a 5 sacrifice? Or maybe you hear 1NT-P-3 showing 31(45) and opponents make an accurate slam decision in a minor when over 1NT-3 they would be jammed, probably try a negative double and maybe end up in game in a spade moysian?

I suppose you get some advantage by reserving "double then bid" for a really huge one-suiter, and I'm sure every time they open 1NT and you have a twenty-count with a long suit and need to figure out whether to bid 6 this style wins... but you really don't get shapely twenty-counts that often after opponents open 1NT (even if their notrump range is 9-11).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-March-24, 10:18

awm, on Mar 24 2008, 07:49 AM, said:

pclayton, on Mar 21 2008, 12:31 PM, said:

Why?

Opening side will rarely sit the double, and if they do you can lead your suit and probably have better chances of setting for a big number than if you held some balanced 16. If they bid on then you can name your suit.

Wouldn't it be sad if you have KQJxxxx and out, and have to pass because 2 shows a better hand and 3 shows a much better hand, and you hear 1NT-P-4-P/O when every other table is taking a 5 sacrifice? Or maybe you hear 1NT-P-3 showing 31(45) and opponents make an accurate slam decision in a minor when over 1NT-3 they would be jammed, probably try a negative double and maybe end up in game in a spade moysian?

I suppose you get some advantage by reserving "double then bid" for a really huge one-suiter, and I'm sure every time they open 1NT and you have a twenty-count with a long suit and need to figure out whether to bid 6 this style wins... but you really don't get shapely twenty-counts that often after opponents open 1NT (even if their notrump range is 9-11).

I'm more concerned with when we make a penalty double with a long suit and pard hits their runout. We almost always have to pull. OTOH, if I make a descriptive overcall, I can comfortably pass pard's penalty double.

Wouldn't it be sad if you have KQJxxxx and out?

Not really. I'm a lot more sad if I double with AKJxxx x AQx Qxx and I'm forced to guess over 4 after I double and my opponent holds that hand and bounces over his pard's weak NT.
"Phil" on BBO

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2008-March-24, 14:16

If you have a good 1-suiter, game is still a possibility over a weak NT. If you're vulnerable, you want to look for the game rather than just setting them in 1NT.

#12 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-March-24, 14:27

barmar, on Mar 24 2008, 03:16 PM, said:

If you have a good 1-suiter, game is still a possibility over a weak NT. If you're vulnerable, you want to look for the game rather than just setting them in 1NT.

I don't think setting them in 1NT is the issue.

The two example hands so far are...

Axx AKxxxxx xx x

x ♥KJT9xxx ♦KQJx ♣x

In both cases, game is very possible even if it was a 16-18 1NT.

The problem is, when 4 is there, the partner of the 1NT bidder has not many points and not many hearts. If you leap to 3 right away, you'll probably shut out the partner of the 1NT bidder. If you X, they will almost certainly compete.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users