BBO Discussion Forums: single user bridge gameboy needed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

single user bridge gameboy needed

#1 User is offline   flewemic 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-May-16, 19:11

I am looking for a way that a 95 year old may continue enjoying bridge without the complexities of a computer. Is there a device that would be available for an individual that is portable and simple to operate. I am thinking of something like a game boy for bridge.

#2 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-May-16, 20:46

Saitek makes them. I'm not sure if there are others. I only know about them as I received one as a present when I first started to play and it was helpful to be able to play anytime I wanted.

You can find them here (despite the odd webtitle):

http://www.saitekusa.com/chess/310.htm
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#3 User is offline   nickf 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2007-May-17, 01:34

I sell these Saitek gadgets in my store.

Just a couple of words of warning, particularly in the context of wanting it for a 95 year old.

- what they play doesnt closely resemble good bridge, remember the processer in the little gadget isnt nearly as powerful as the processor in your PC running, say Jack or GIB or Bridge Baron
- the LCD screens are b/w and the cards/ characters arent that big
- the buttons can be hard to operate, particulary if say the 95 yeard old fingers are arthritic.

However, if none of these criteria matter then they are a fantastic gadget for a 95yo - you can play it in bed, in your lounge chair, on the bus etc etc.

PM me if you want some more info on the products dimensions etc.

by the way, there are currently 2 models on the market, the 311 and the 610. Dont buy the 610, the keys are counterintuitive - like you have to press H2 to bid 2H. The 311 is good.

nickf
sydney

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2007-May-18, 13:44

I did a Google search and another product that shows up alot is the Excaliber 417D. I don't know how it compares, though.

I also saw a Radio Shack bridge computer on eBay with a starting bid of $3.99. It looked really old, though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users