BBO Discussion Forums: Politeness at the table - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Politeness at the table Claims

#1 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2007-January-13, 13:08

Sometimes a claim is made and its not obvious (to me). There may be 5 cards left. I might reject the claim, or may stare at it for a while trying to figure it out.

Other times a claim is obvious, trumps are pulled and declarer has only trumps and high cards, and there are few cards left.

Against (self rated) Advanced & Expert opponents, I claimed with 2 cards left in each hand. A trump and a small club opposite the boss club and another card.
I claimed, and the opps just sat there, neither rejecting or accepting.
(If they thought I would play the low card from both hands they should just reject)
Spades are trump, and all gone
6 5
opposite A 4

My question is:

When someone makes a clearly simple and obvious claim, is it not rude behaviour to just sit there and do nothing?

How long do you give them? What if they sit there for 10 seconds?
I said "The claim is good, accept it and lets move on to the next hand"
(Again I held the last trump and the high club, it was very obvious, no thinking involved.)

They continued to sit there. My pard thought I should have said nothing.

#2 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-13, 13:19

I think the key here is that some claims that are obvious to some are not obvious to others. In real life I often won't claim when I can and instead pull trumps and unblock some stuff to make a hand high if my opponents are not that experienced. This helps them see it, even though 5 tricks earlier it should have been "obvious."

Online, I don't feel like it's ever rude to decline a claim. Not doing anything seems suboptimal, but perhaps there are some language barriers and they don't know how to say "how will you play" or whatever. Or maybe they're genuinely thinking about it and can't see it. With 2 cards left it seems silly to claim anyways, you could have played it out in a couple of seconds.

Online, if the opponents are not doing anything when I claim, I'll just click cancel and play it out. This is contrary to the laws (once a claim is made, play ceases) but since there's no director and its practical I don't really see a problem with it. That seems like the easiest solution to me.

I do think it's rude to say something like "accept the claim and lets move on," that is essentially bullying the opps into accepting your claim.

#3 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2007-January-13, 16:01

First, I agree with everything Justin says (which I do usually, but just don't say it).

Next to answer:

ArcLight, on Jan 13 2007, 02:08 PM, said:

My question is: When someone makes a clearly simple and obvious claim, is it not rude behaviour to just sit there and do nothing?

This is not rude. It is not the best, but it is far from the worst so does not cross the border into rude country.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#4 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 17:20

there's always the other side -- people that reject a claim in a split second without even looking at the cards...

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 17:52

Jlall, on Jan 13 2007, 11:19 AM, said:

I think the key here is that some claims that are obvious to some are not obvious to others. In real life I often won't claim when I can and instead pull trumps and unblock some stuff to make a hand high if my opponents are not that experienced. This helps them see it, even though 5 tricks earlier it should have been "obvious."

Online, I don't feel like it's ever rude to decline a claim. Not doing anything seems suboptimal, but perhaps there are some language barriers and they don't know how to say "how will you play" or whatever. Or maybe they're genuinely thinking about it and can't see it. With 2 cards left it seems silly to claim anyways, you could have played it out in a couple of seconds.

Online, if the opponents are not doing anything when I claim, I'll just click cancel and play it out. This is contrary to the laws (once a claim is made, play ceases) but since there's no director and its practical I don't really see a problem with it. That seems like the easiest solution to me.

I do think it's rude to say something like "accept the claim and lets move on," that is essentially bullying the opps into accepting your claim.

If Im playing against a good player and the claim isn't readily apparent, I'll say "just a sec".

Especially online, many claims get mismoused, and you should really check carefully.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   Lyngen_2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-January-13, 19:12

My partner and I are living in the same house - but never playing in the same room. A number of times an oppenent has claimed - and claime was rejected. I have shouted to partner: You FOOL - why did you reject????!!!!
Answer from partner: But I accepted...

I guess, there is a small bug concerning claims.

But apart from that BBO is an extremely wonderfull site - just love it!!!

Greetings from Denmark

#7 User is offline   ArcLight 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Rowing. Wargaming. Military history.

Posted 2007-January-13, 21:19

Just to clarify, this was the position

6 5

opposite A 4

I claimed they sat there.

Had it been 5 cards in each hand, then I could see their reluctance.

#8 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-13, 22:25

Just to clarify, you claimed but did not make a statement of claim (such as "trump is good, top is good")? Also you thought that this claim would be faster than trying to play the last two tricks quickly while claiming if one of the opponents stopped to think?

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 03:02

Lyngen_2, on Jan 14 2007, 02:12 AM, said:

My partner and I are living in the same house - but never playing in the same room. A number of times an oppenent has claimed - and claime was rejected. I have shouted to partner: You FOOL - why did  you reject????!!!!

I seem to recall that Fred said that claiming was complex due to its asynchronous nature. I've also seen occasional problems with them and it would not surprise me if they were susceptible to network glitches more than normal play.

So I suggest everyone is tolerant in this area. Actually I recommend being tolerant all of the time!

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Cycling
    Running
    Sport Science
    Babysitting the 'kiddies'
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2007-January-14, 03:36

So much for my theory of finding out their IP address, tracking them down and getting all Pulp Fiction on their a$$... :unsure:
He's justified and he's ancient, and he drives an ice cream van.

#11 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 03:57

cardsharp, on Jan 14 2007, 01:02 AM, said:

Lyngen_2, on Jan 14 2007, 02:12 AM, said:

My partner and I are living in the same house - but never playing in the same room. A number of times an oppenent has claimed - and claime was rejected. I have shouted to partner: You FOOL - why did  you reject????!!!!

I seem to recall that Fred said that claiming was complex due to its asynchronous nature. I've also seen occasional problems with them and it would not surprise me if they were susceptible to network glitches more than normal play.

So I suggest everyone is tolerant in this area. Actually I recommend being tolerant all of the time!

Paul

Not to mention that declarer might have rejected the claim. Sometimes I claim all but one trick and right when i'm claiming the current trick is quitted and it says I'm claiming all the tricks. So I quickly reject myself to claim all but one again.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2007-January-14, 04:21

It may be as obvious as you like, when you want to say something after you claimed, you better just state your line of play imo. Some people think you're really stupid and will play 2 low s (or hope you do). For some people it's a lot easier if you state your line of play in the first place, but when it's obvious I guess we all fail to do so. :unsure:

Ordering your opponents around however is not the right attitude. It's a small effort to type a simple "can you please accept or reject the claim"... You don't come over as being the boss. :P

I also agree with Justin's comments, that if it takes a while you better just cancel and play the hand. It's weird for opponents not to accept or decline, but nevertheless it happens from time to time. Again it's a small effort, to play 2 more rounds...

I usually claim without comment, but start to type it as soon as it isn't accepted immediately. If they still don't accept or decline, I say "can you please accept?". If that still doesn't work, I cancel and play the hand. Usually one of the opponents will claim himself, so you know which one of the opponents was being an ass. B) I add some personal note to their profile(s).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 Guest_movingon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-January-14, 10:49

"Usually one of the opponents will claim himself, so you know which one of the opponents was being an ass. I add some personal note to their profile(s)."

Actually, when my partner rejects a clear claim, I will Make a claim as soon as I can. So don't put me on your list! :)

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2007-January-14, 12:26

Well yeah, obviously, if one claims, the other was being the ass... :)

So don't screw your partner! :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 13:53

Free, on Jan 14 2007, 08:26 PM, said:

Well yeah, obviously, if one claims, the other was being the ass... :rolleyes:

So don't screw your partner! :P

Well sometimes i don't see it, reject the claim and after the next cards are played, i get it and claim myself.

Additional Note:
My impression is that if you miss the "YES" button even by a pixel. this is taken as "No".

#16 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-14, 14:29

I was just playing out a hand (instead of claiming, since playing out often faster) when a defender claimed 0 of the remaining tricks. The advantage to this was only person needed to accept.

#17 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2007-January-15, 00:03

ArcLight, on Jan 13 2007, 02:08 PM, said:

Sometimes a claim is made and its not obvious (to me). There may be 5 cards left. I might reject the claim, or may stare at it for a while trying to figure it out.

Other times a claim is obvious, trumps are pulled and declarer has only trumps and high cards, and there are few cards left.

Against (self rated) Advanced & Expert opponents, I claimed with 2 cards left in each hand. A trump and a small club opposite the boss club and another card.
I claimed, and the opps just sat there, neither rejecting or accepting.
(If they thought I would play the low card from both hands they should just reject)
6 5
opposite A 4

My question is:

When someone makes a clearly simple and obvious claim, is it not rude behaviour to just sit there and do nothing?

How long do you give them? What if they sit there for 10 seconds?
I said "The claim is good, accept it and lets move on to the next hand"
(Again I held the last trump and the high club, it was very obvious, no thinking involved.)

They continued to sit there. My pard thought I should have said nothing.

It appears a little bizarre for the opps to dawdle over this. Possibly they were both reviewing the hand in their minds, trying to see where they went wrong in the defense, and forgot to press accept. This happens, although I suppose it shouldn't. Claiming is delicate. I usually draw first and wait until there are n clear tricks available with n tricks left to play. If there are only n-1 clear tricks I lead a concessionary trick, if that is possible, and then claim. If n-1 and I cannot lead a concessionary trick I write out some sort of explanation. I don't often have problems but if I do I cancel and play. I don't much worry about why. Maybe they are distracted, maybe they are weird. Who knows. The other night, f2f, I dawdled over a clear claim. I was just having a mental lapse. This also happens.
Ken

#18 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2007-January-15, 02:43

"Usually one of the opponents will claim himself, so you know which one of the opponents was being an ass. I add some personal note to their profile(s)."

That's not true at all. Sometimes they reject because they thought you had made a mistake and realise themselves a few tricks later. Sometimes they accidentally hit the 'reject' button. They may not have even noticed and thus think their partner has rejected the claim or declarer has cancelled the claim. In both of these cases (and I'm sure plenty more), the person who conceded may well have been the person who rejected the claim in the first place. So it's foolish to automatically black-list the partner of this person. VERY foolish.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#19 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2007-January-15, 09:24

Usually if you have such a situation, the player in question will say "sry" or something similar. If they keep quiet, well, I never liked the quiet types anyway...

#20 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2007-January-15, 10:54

... or the quiet types' partners either... hehe. ;)
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users