BBO Discussion Forums: Intervene over strong club? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Intervene over strong club? weak 6-5, red vs white

Poll: Do you bid? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you bid?

1. Pass, would pass over 1C too (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. Pass, but would take some action over 1C (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. 1NT (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. Double (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 2D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Other (Please Explain) (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   kfgauss 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-May-08, 01:06

BAM, red vs white. In 4th seat you hold:

2 Q86543 2 QJ532

The bidding goes:

1C* P 1D** ?

1C: precision, 16+ (17+ bal)
1D: negative

You play suction. 1NT = two untouching suits (C+H or D+S). If you want to show hearts only, you can do that with double = H or S+C (or 2D, same meaning).

What's your call?

If you pass over 1C-1D, would you bid if you were in 2nd seat and RHO had opened 1C? (Same bids and meanings, but 1D replaces double.)

[Edit: I'll preemptively request that you not tell me about your favorite methods here and instead work within the given constrants. If your call would be qualitatively different playing your methods, feel free to mention that to contrast with your call playing these methods, though.]

[Edit: Yes, 2NT is available as C+H or D+S as well.]

#2 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2006-May-08, 03:23

Would 2NT still be two nontouching suits?

If so, I'd like to bid that.

I'd be more inclined to show just hearts if I had some direct natural preemptive bid. Bidding some number of diamonds makes it rather too easy for them to double.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-May-08, 03:53

System bid.
Colours are for children.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-08, 04:00

1NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2006-May-08, 04:34

1NT for me. 6 - 5 stay alive. At different colours 2NT would be an option.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 User is offline   Codo 

• Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2006-May-08, 04:54

1 NT is not enough, so I bid 2 NT. If this is a system bid with a different meaning, I bid 3 NT. Main point: With no points and nice distribution, I will bid as high as possible as quick as possible.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-08, 05:20

Hmm, I am the only passer so far. Why should I tell opps my distribution when I have such bad suits and no good chance to buy the contract? Even 2-level X'd is not unlikely to be a disaster.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2006-May-08, 06:01

Your partnership has at most 10 + 4= 14 HCps, maybe less. So passing gives them the ability to use their precision system to reach the perfect contract of 6 Spade.
They surely now, that 5 Spade is not enough, but 7 won`t make.
You applaude and write down - 1430, next hand.

The bidders hope to see a bidding like:

1 Club pass 1 Diamond 2 NT
3 Spade 5 Club ????

Worst case:
X 3 Club X all pass -4 and pd has some 10 HCPs, no real fit, but nothing is makable from opps., despite their 26 HCPs.

In another threat, I wrote, that I don´t use these two suiters bid so often any more. But I htink, in this hand, the possible win is much more likely then the possible lost.
Kind Regards

Roland

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-May-08, 06:23

Codo, on May 8 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

Your partnership has at most 10 + 4= 14 HCps, maybe less. So passing gives them the ability to use their precision system to reach the perfect contract of 6 Spade.
They surely now, that 5 Spade is not enough, but 7 won`t make.
You applaude and write down - 1430, next hand.

The bidders hope to see a bidding like:

3 Spade 5 Club ????

Worst case:
X 3 Club X all pass -4 and pd has some 10 HCPs, no real fit, but nothing is makable from opps., despite their 26 HCPs.

In another threat, I wrote, that I don´t use these two suiters bid so often any more. But I htink, in this hand, the possible win is much more likely then the possible lost.

Did you see the vulnerability? 6 making isn't -1430 at unfavourable last time I checked. In fact, it's better than 3X-4.
Anyway, I hope for 6-1 instead of 5= (warned of bad breaks). Or 6-1 instead of 6= (guessed right from my bidding).

Of course we all know good things can happen by bidding or passing. My guess is that with the bad suits, bidding doesn't gain frequently enough.

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   Codo 

Posted 2006-May-08, 06:50

Arend,

I red the vul. wrong. I took red vs. white as wrote in the bidding, so from openers point of view. This is cleary wrong, so I can see much more downsides in bidding then passing now.

But I still bid 2 NT, but surely with much less convidence.
Kind Regards

Roland

#11 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-08, 07:36

I think since you have decided to play suction over precision, that this is exactly the hand it was designed for and you bid according to your methods. You hand is expected to be weak, and two suited, and thats exactly what you have.

To bid 2N is anti-systemic (not to mention the unfavorable vul). Your partnership decided to use this method, to show this hand. Bid accordingly. Anything else is a violation of partnership trust, imo.

As always, jmoo.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

#12 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-May-08, 07:45

If 2NT is what I have to choose becuase of methods, I do it. Rahter than considering the digit I may inflict upon us, I'll take the positive ouetlook and think I may be able to make game.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2006-May-08, 07:51

cherdano, on May 8 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

Hmm, I am the only passer so far. Why should I tell opps my distribution when I have such bad suits and no good chance to buy the contract? Even 2-level X'd is not unlikely to be a disaster.

Arend

Passing may of course be right. But "no good chance to buy the contract"? Does advancer not have a say in that decision?

There is (in my view) one significant minus point to bidding - you don't succeed in telling partner which suits you hold. I suppose he has a reasonable chance of guessing, but is unlikely to barrage too much of the bidding, just in case he is wrong.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   zasanya 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess,Scrabble,Bridge

Posted 2006-May-08, 07:59

Codo, on May 8 2006, 07:01 AM, said:

Your partnership has at most 10 + 4= 14  HCps, maybe less.

If your RHO opens a precision/strong ,then its a good idea to pass with opening hand .If your LHO bids anything other than 1 then they have minimum 24 points and your restraint will mislead the declarer while placing high cards.If LHO bids 1the opener will bid naturally and now you can take appropriate action conveying P that you have an opening hand.On the other hand if you have a weak shapely hand then you bid immediately to disturb their relays and asking bids.
Applying this scheme to the original post Partners pass only indicates he doesnt have a weak shapely hand.Your side then can have much more than 14.
In the given hand over 1 you must bid to show your weak shapely hand .This time with 3 intentions 1)Disrupt their relay.2)Try to buy the contract.3)Help P to make the opening lead.
Aniruddha
Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius".

#15 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2006-May-08, 08:15

1eyedjack, on May 8 2006, 03:51 PM, said:

cherdano, on May 8 2006, 12:20 PM, said:

Arend

Passing may of course be right. But "no good chance to buy the contract"? Does advancer not have a say in that decision?

Well, if we have a fit, opponents likely have a fit in a higher-ranking suit. They are very likely to have the substantial majority of hcp. You will (almost) never bid to save at this vulnerability.

So yes, I do think we won't buy the contract (unless the opponents want us to, doubled). If you bid, then only to give them less space to find the best contract, and the question is if this will make a difference often enough to make up for the case where
1. they double you successfully,
2. they avoid a bad contract by knowing about bad breaks,
3. they correctly guess in the play due to knowing your and partner's shape.

Maybe partly I am passing because I don't believe as much as others in the guaranteed success of relay-bidding :) (Especially if it doesn't include asking bids for opponents' shapes, which you would provide by bidding suction here ;) )

Arend

#16 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2006-May-08, 08:37

Whatever you choose, pard will look at his hand, realize that you have "no" points and then take the appropriate action. Just make your system bid that shows your holding and let pard take it from there.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#17 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2006-May-08, 08:50

1NT for me. My style over their 1C is to only bid with something that might be of genuine help. In other words, I won't bid on

xxxx
xxxx
xx
xxx

calling my hand "Weak with both majors".

There are plenty of those who would do though.

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2006-May-08, 08:58

2NT, not everyday I have a 6-5...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#19 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2006-May-08, 14:34

I like 1NT. This could even be our hand, and I don't feel that likely to go for a number at the two-level. This bid prevents opener from making a 1NT call with the typical balanced minimum, and I'd be surprised if we can't make something at the two-level (or one down if we're unlucky). On the off chance that we actually have a huge heart (or club) fit I'll be glad I bid.

On the other hand, 2NT seems like a stretch. The opponents don't have to have a game here (responder made a negative bid after all) and three of a suit is a lot more likely to be doubled than two of a suit (and it goes down one more at unfavorable).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users