#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-October-22, 14:55

all vul at imps two passes to north who opens 1n (15-17) p 3n ap

obv a disaster on a spade lead

any methods to get us to 4h?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-October-22, 16:28

Maybe South should think about using Stayman rather than ramming the contract into 3 NT.

Any time you have a stiff, it would be prudent to explore by whatever means possible whether partner can stop the suit. Unfortunately, there are only limited options for doing so after 1 NT.

If partner bids 2 over 2 , then NT is OK. Even if partner has xxxx, with split honors, the opponents may find it difficult to lead .

If partner bids 2 , you can bid 3 and explore for a potential minor suit game. Or, possibly, if you have the agreement, bid 3 as a minor suit Stayman continuation.

If partner bids 2 , South can consider raising and playing in a Moysian fit. The hand looks right for it as South holds controls in the hand's long suits which should help prevent opener from being forced in them quickly.

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2015-October-22, 17:32

Many play that 1NT pass 3M shows 54 either way in the minors, 3-1 in the majors. Obviously, this works wonders here.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 18:34

What do you play over 1N ? What is 2 for example if you don't play 4-suit transfers ?

#5 User is offline   hevnandhel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-22, 18:59

Agree with Ken.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-22, 19:04

kenrexford, on 2015-October-22, 17:32, said:

Many play that 1NT pass 3M shows 54 either way in the minors, 3-1 in the majors. Obviously, this works wonders here.

We just switched back to this after playing 3/ as showing 5-5, inv/forcing and having it never come up. We've avoided a doomed 3nt with Qxx or Jxx opposite a stiff twice in the last month and decided to include 6-3 in the minors as well.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2015-October-22, 19:28

ggwhiz, on 2015-October-22, 19:04, said:

We just switched back to this after playing 3/ as showing 5-5, inv/forcing and having it never come up. We've avoided a doomed 3nt with Qxx or Jxx opposite a stiff twice in the last month and decided to include 6-3 in the minors as well.

You can still handle the 55 majors, via 3D. That way, your 3D is 55 majors, invitational or better. Opener can save space with:

3M = choice, minimum
3N = max. 22
4M = max, preference
4C = max, heart preference, great
4D = max, spade preference, great
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2015-October-22, 19:30

A completely different option is 2S, followed by 3M, by the way. Some play that, too. MSS

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-October-23, 02:01

kenrexford, on 2015-October-22, 19:30, said:

A completely different option is 2S, followed by 3M, by the way. Some play that, too. MSS

2 wto either minor or GF both using a 3M rebid for this hand to either focus on the long minor or short major is played, we focus on the minor length. Here, it would go 1N-2-3 showing 4 diamonds for us and whether your style is to bid the fragment or singleton next, you will establish the spade issue. We'll probably bid 5 rather than 4

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 10:19

Yes, "standard" in the US for those who care about this situation is 3M either splinter or fragment with (13)(54). Arguments abound over whether to bid the 3 card fragment (and wrongside the Moysian if that's where you're going) or the singleton (and allow a free lead-directing (or lead-inhibiting) double against the eventual "I have a stopper" 3NT) which I won't get into (because I don't tend to play this, but I don't tend to play strong NT either).

My argument with pickups/occasionals is "I don't care what we play at the 3 level over our 1NT, it never comes up anyway. But if we don't discuss it, it will."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 10:25

A method that most can use with little change in overall bidding:

1n 2s (if you are using 2s to transfer to clubs then POC)
1N 2N if playing 4wt

Follow this with 3h to show hearts stopped and a problem with spades. This suggests a hand strong enough to play 3n but with a long minor. Note that either method should be happy with 3n if opener can bid it since 5m looks pretty far away. Opener with only the Spade ace can bid 4s. If opener cannot bid 3n it is best to just try 5m via:

1N 2S method merely bid 5D as best guess but a 4s bid would be slightly better asking p to bid a 4+ card minor or 4n with neither
1N 2N bid 5c since u have already shown dia this will allow p to choose more easily.

Trying stayman first is entertaining and could work but p with 4 little spades may give the false impression spades are covered and there is really nothing left to do but bid NT. Even if p bids 2h great care is needed since p may be all too willing to jump to 4s if they began with 44 in the majors. If p bids 2h a 3s (splinter) may leave your side in much better shape in 4h than in either 3n or 5m if p has only a single spade stop.

#12 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-23, 17:38

In GIB, 1NT - 2 is Minor Stayman. If you need 2 as a transfer, you might consider the sequence 1NT - 2 - 2 - 2 as Minor Stayman.

My own preference is
1NT - 2 - 2 - 2: 5-5 in Majors, invitational
1NT - 2: transfer to (with option to superaccept)
1NT - 2NT: transfer to (with option to superaccept)
1NT - 2: both minors, pass or correct
1NT - 2 - 2NT/3 - 3: both minors and some singleton/void), GF
1NT - 3: 5-5 in Majors, GF (option to stay in 3NT with opener 2-2 in Majors)

In this case,
1NT - 2 - 2NT/3 - 3 - 3 (good 4-card suit)
can lead you to 4 in a Moysian (right-sided) or to 5.

#13 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2015-October-23, 17:41

Too many hand types. Too few bidding sequences available. Can't be bothered. 3NT down lots. Next board.

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 22:37

I agree with jogs. I also, with reg partners, have ways to show 1=3=5=4 gf but I don't think that I would wheel it out here. I am a bit fed up with GIB always wheeling out MSS on borderline invitational hands.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-October-24, 01:49

thanks all!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#16 User is offline   marcindz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-24, 19:02

Exactly what jack said. But: if you were to use 5431 conventions's 3!s it might be followed with 4!h.

#17 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-October-24, 20:45

Any Alan Truscott fans? He advocated an approach called the "Anti-Lemming" jump to 3M after partner opens 1N. 3M promises exactly 3 pieces in OM and no M stopper (0-2 cards). Opener can rebid a chunky 4-card OM in an attempt to gain the ll important exxtra 20 points for 4M over 5m, and avoid going negative in 3N.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-October-24, 20:53

SteveMoe, on 2015-October-24, 20:45, said:

Any Alan Truscott fans? He advocated an approach called the "Anti-Lemming" jump to 3M after partner opens 1N. 3M promises exactly 3 pieces in OM and no M stopper (0-2 cards). Opener can rebid a chunky 4-card OM in an attempt to gain the ll important exxtra 20 points for 4M over 5m, and avoid going negative in 3N.

Yes, this is mentioned above.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#19 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-October-25, 03:59

kenrexford, on 2015-October-22, 17:32, said:

I disagree.

What you said is 5431 convention,generally speaking,it ask responder should promise 10hcp in the hand.
But for this hand,why does opener make 4? because there is no any wasted points in ,very lucky probability distribution.
Only with 8hcp,obviously,this usually doesn't work wonders there.

#20 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-25, 08:18

1NT-3D for 55 majors just doesn't sound right, I played 1NT-3m for 6 card m invitational and it works wonders

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users