• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 over 1

#1 User is offline   Alibar10 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Art, bridge, reading

Posted 2016-March-22, 14:13

I read that the robots are programmed to play 2 over 1. I used to occasionally play with the robots, but since I don't know 2 over 1, there's no point in trying to play with them. Have they always played this method or is it fairly recent? I realize they aren't people, but they so often bid a suit and will be void in it or only have a singleton. Do most players in BBO play 2 over 1?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-22, 14:22

Most players on BBO with any significant experience play 2 over 1, I think.

Personally I had very little experience of playing 2 over 1 until I started playing with robots. Now I seldom play with anyone other than robots.

You need to accept that there are some idiosyncratic differences between the version of 2/1 that the robots are programmed to play, and anything remotely standard that you might come across in a human partnering.

I wouldn't worry too much about lack of familiarity with the system, as an excuse not to play robots: whenever a robot bids you can get an explanation by hovering the mouse over the bid, and whenever it is your turn to bid you can get an explanation for all legal options by hovering your mouse over each option. Somewhat slow going, if you are doing it all the time, but as familiarity grows so does speed.

There remain, and I suspect always will remain some bugs where the bid descriptions are at odds with the cards held (or descriptions are incomplete). But as a working solution it will get you most of what you need to know.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-23, 09:14

Alibar10, on 2016-March-22, 14:13, said:

but they so often bid a suit and will be void in it or only have a singleton. Do most players in BBO play 2 over 1?

The only time they do this are when they're making splinter bids, which are common to many (most?) bidding systems, not specific to 2/1.

The main differences between 2/1 and SAYC are (in uncontested auctions):

Bidding a new suit at the 2 level in response to an opening bid is forcing to game, not just 10+ points.
1NT response to 1 or 1 openings is forcing for 1 round (because it includes hands with 10-12 points but can't bid on the 2 level).
Inverted minor raises (these aren't strictly part of the system, but almost everyone who plays 2/1 uses them, or some variant).
A few conventions: New Minor Forcing, 4th Suit Forcing.

If you click on the Robot Convention Card you can read a pretty full description of GIB's style.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users