BBO Discussion Forums: monster hand after oppponents open - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

monster hand after oppponents open

#1 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-16, 12:30

you wake up with :
Spades : QJx
Hearts : AKJTx
Diamonds : AKJTx
Clubs : Void

You're all set to bid 2c and start cuebidding to slam when RHO has the nerve to pipe up and say "1 spade". How do you bid now to properly convey to partner the powerhouse that you have been dealt?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-16, 12:40

If you are playing the Michaels cuebid, you have the perfect solution. But since you asked the question you are probably not playing it, so double and await developments.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-19, 01:37

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-May-16, 12:30, said:

you wake up with :
Spades : QJx
Hearts : AKJTx
Diamonds : AKJTx
Clubs : Void

You're all set to bid 2c and start cuebidding to slam when RHO has the nerve to pipe up and say "1 spade". How do you bid now to properly convey to partner the powerhouse that you have been dealt?

How many players would have the courage to pass this hand? Yet that is exactly what you must do and trust to partner to take action in the balancing seat(as a good player would) Too many players tend to forget that bridge is a partnership game DON'T FORGET YOUR PARTNER!!!!! :angry:
Doubling for take out on this hand is idiotic as you have no tolerance for clubs. A 1NT overcall promises a double stop in which you don't have. You have 19 points and RHO has opened the bidding. If partner has a 'bust' which is highly likely,you still only have 19 points. It is not yet time to get excited..(!) :rolleyes:
Pass and hope that partner will keep the auction open.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 02:44

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 01:37, said:

How many players would have the courage to pass this hand? Yet that is exactly what you must do and trust to partner to take action in the balancing seat(as a good player would) Too many players tend to forget that bridge is a partnership game DON'T FORGET YOUR PARTNER!!!!! :angry:
Doubling for take out on this hand is idiotic as you have no tolerance for clubs. A 1NT overcall promises a double stop in which you don't have. You have 19 points and RHO has opened the bidding. If partner has a 'bust' which is highly likely,you still only have 19 points. It is not yet time to get excited..(!) :rolleyes:
Pass and hope that partner will keep the auction open.

LOL

Anyway, you should not be allowed to post in this specific forum because novice/beginner group may think that they may be getting advice from someone better. Unlikely but it may still happen.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:06

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 01:37, said:

How many players would have the courage to pass this hand?

Doubling for take out on this hand is idiotic as you have no tolerance for clubs.

OK, if doubling and bidding doesn't appeal to you, why on earth would you not overcall?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 09:38

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-19, 08:06, said:

OK, if doubling and bidding doesn't appeal to you, why on earth would you not overcall?

Because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

For the OP: double is the normal way to begin showing a very strong hand after your opponent opens the bidding.

Also as Vampyr said, bidding 2 directly over 1 is a common agreement to show a two-suited hand, with hearts and an as yet unknown minor suit. You can communicate the strength of the hand later in the auction.

Passing is not a reasonable option.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-19, 09:56

Two points:

First - while not the topic of this thread, I would strongly suggest not opening 2 on this hand. It is not so strong that one would be truly disgusted if 1 got passed out. Partner should strain to respond to an opening bid, and if partner passes, this hand may not produce a game. Two suited hands are notoriously difficult to deal with after a 2 opening, especially if the opponents get into the auction. So it is important to get your suits bid as early as possible. If the hand were stronger - say, QJx AKQTx AKQTx --- - then you would have to open 2 because you could not risk partner passing.

Second - A Michaels cue bid or other 2-suited convention is what I would use for this hand if available over the opponents 1 opening. If partner bids hearts, I will probably bid game, or strongly invite game if I have a way to do it. There is probably not going to be any space available to conduct an invitational auction, so I would just go with the odds and bid a game.

If no two-suited convention is available, then I would double and bid hearts (and diamonds later if I get the chance). The hand is far too good to trap-pass, and, quite frankly, what are you going to do if partner reopens with a double? You are not passing out 1x - you don't have the right hand for it. Passing puts you in a worse situation even if you get another chance, and there is no guarantee that you will.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-19, 11:12

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-19, 09:56, said:

Two points:

First - while not the topic of this thread, I would strongly suggest not opening 2 on this hand. It is not so strong that one would be truly disgusted if 1 got passed out.

It's not the topic, but OP mentioned it, so your comment is relevant and helpful.

OP didn't mention system,though, and this would (I think) be a reasonable 2 opening if playing Benji.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 16:01

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-19, 02:44, said:

Anyway, you should not be allowed to post in this specific forum because novice/beginner group may think that they may be getting advice from someone better. Unlikely but it may still happen.

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-19, 16:57

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-19, 16:01, said:

You're kidding, right? :rolleyes:

What do you think?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 22:49

LOL

To thine own self be true(!) <_<

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#12 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 23:02

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-19, 09:38, said:

Because he doesn't know what he is talking about.

For the OP: double is the normal way to begin showing a very strong hand after your opponent opens the bidding.

Also as Vampyr said, bidding 2 directly over 1 is a common agreement to show a two-suited hand, with hearts and an as yet unknown minor suit. You can communicate the strength of the hand later in the auction.

Passing is not a reasonable option.

So you would stick your neck out? Then the next thing you might hear is "DOUBLE" in a voice like thunder from LHO
Partner puts down a Yarborough and you can then get ready with the sackcloth and ashes(!) What seperates the expert from
the palooka is the former's highly developed sense of danger. This is no time to be a hero. The cemeteries are full
of them(!) <_< Right hand side of road..safe Left hand side of road..safe....Middle of road......

#13 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 23:08

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-19, 09:56, said:

Two points:

First - while not the topic of this thread, I would strongly suggest not opening 2 on this hand. It is not so strong that one would be truly disgusted if 1 got passed out. Partner should strain to respond to an opening bid, and if partner passes, this hand may not produce a game. Two suited hands are notoriously difficult to deal with after a 2 opening, especially if the opponents get into the auction. So it is important to get your suits bid as early as possible. If the hand were stronger - say, QJx AKQTx AKQTx --- - then you would have to open 2 because you could not risk partner passing.

Second - A Michaels cue bid or other 2-suited convention is what I would use for this hand if available over the opponents 1 opening. If partner bids hearts, I will probably bid game, or strongly invite game if I have a way to do it. There is probably not going to be any space available to conduct an invitational auction, so I would just go with the odds and bid a game.

If no two-suited convention is available, then I would double and bid hearts (and diamonds later if I get the chance). The hand is far too good to trap-pass, and, quite frankly, what are you going to do if partner reopens with a double? You are not passing out 1x - you don't have the right hand for it. Passing puts you in a worse situation even if you get another chance, and there is no guarantee that you will.

Micheals is OK...if you've agreed to use this gadget...but what if you haven't(?) Personally,I don't like this device. Along with the negative double,it
must rank as one of the worst coventions ever devised :(

#14 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-20, 02:36

laughable
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 07:28

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:02, said:

What seperates the expert from the palooka is the former's highly developed sense of danger.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:08, said:

Micheals is OK...if you've agreed to use this gadget...but what if you haven't(?) Personally,I don't like this device. Along with the negative double,it
must rank as one of the worst coventions ever devised :(

View Posteagles123, on 2015-May-20, 02:36, said:

laughable

Posted Image

gotta give him credit for entertainment value though.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-20, 08:16

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:02, said:

So you would stickthese your neck out? Then the next thing you might hear is "DOUBLE" in a voice like thunder from LHO
Partner puts down a Yarborough and you can then get ready with the sackcloth and ashes(!)

I am sorry for mocking; I have made mistakes myself and besides, it is unseemly.

Most people will not have a direct penalty doule available, but yes, you could end up doubled in 2, down a couple. You could also find a Yarborough opposite with game good. Committing to either of these options is taking a very big position.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-May-20, 09:20

Maybe he thought that only novices and beginners were allowed to post!
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-20, 23:49

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-20, 08:16, said:

Most people will not have a direct penalty doule available

Perhaps you did not notice the "voice of thunder"?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 23:55

View Posteagles123, on 2015-May-20, 02:36, said:

laughable

How so(?) One player's meat is another's poison. The late great Terence Reese hated 'Michaels',
calling it an 'abomination'...

"The problem with the human race is that no-one will ever win it"
- Alfred Adler

#20 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 23:59

View Postlamford, on 2015-May-20, 09:20, said:

Maybe he thought that only novices and beginners were allowed to post!

Yes true...and also pseudo experts like you,I suspect(!) <_<

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users