BBO Discussion Forums: Is there a good way to organize system notes? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is there a good way to organize system notes?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-01, 03:04

Right now, I have two text files, one called "system.txt" and one called "conventions.txt", which separates bids into artificial and natural. "System" has several headings - it's split down to "in competition" and "uninterrupted auctions", and then you have headings like "NT openings", "1M openings", etc. The "conventions" one just has a heading for each convention we play, with when it applies and what the followups are.
As we're learning beyond the bare basics, this is becoming unmanageable. It's difficult to search for a sequence, and some of the data (like inferences in natural auctions from lack of use of conventions) doesn't fit anywhere or is spread out in a way that's difficult to spot and consequently remember.
However, just writing down a bunch of auctions seems like an equally bad idea - it fixes the problems in separating into "natural" and "artificial", but it'll be equally as difficult to search and will probably blow up very quickly.
Is there a recommended way to arrange this data to avoid duplicate or missing sequences, and make it easier to search?

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 03:29

There's some advice from Larry Cohen in "Love thy Partner" on how to organise system notes that you might find useful - along with lots of other good advice for partnerships, too. There's an extract available on the web, but I'm afraid I can't get a link to work here - try googling, or e-mail me if you can't find it.

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 03:54

I like the following organization (but I make no claims that it is "best"):

At the top of the notes, a rough outline so that someone who just reads this section could probably guess most of the bids that normally arise. (e.g. at the top say, "we play a standard 2/1 with inverted minors inv+, 15-17 NT with transfers to majors and walsh relay, etc.) In this way you can skim and remind yourself what these notes contain.

In the next sections, divide the notes into a flow chart. Section 2 describes all the opening bids, then for each opening bid, a section of flow chart starting with each opening bid and response. Also include what to do over competition in any of these sequences.

Have a section on overcalls and another on carding at the end.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 05:20

I plagiarised the format of Richard Pavlicek's notes (PDF).
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 05:41

View PostWellSpyder, on 2011-November-01, 03:29, said:

There's some advice from Larry Cohen in "Love thy Partner" on how to organise system notes that you might find useful - along with lots of other good advice for partnerships, too. There's an extract available on the web, but I'm afraid I can't get a link to work here - try googling, or e-mail me if you can't find it.

http://webpages.mcgi...y%20Partner.pdf

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 05:51

I would suggest not having a big document with page numbers. Just create an index of topics, accessed by tabs in a physical folder, or separate documents on disk, so that each topic is ideally no more than a few pages. This means splitting topics, so that if section "D" pertains to opening one of a major, you separate "D1 Open 1M", "D2 Response to 1M", "D3 Continuations after forcing next step" etc. Then when you have a discussion and alter/add an agreement you simply reprint those pages/send that document, without screwing up page numbers or the index.

#7 User is offline   DJNeill 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:current events, long-distance cycling

Posted 2011-November-01, 08:10

Hi,
My style is this (use suit symbols colored when possible if word doc, rather than 3H for 3 hearts, 3 - use Heading styles as much as possible)

Dan-pd notes
1/1/2011

2/1 with UDCA

--------------------
Opening Summary:

1C = 3+C 11+ HCP
1D =
3y =
3N =

-----------------
1C Opening Responses:

1D = 4+D, often bypass with 4M
1H = 4H, promises unbalanced
1S = 4th suit forcing

1H =
1S =
1N =

*Third/Fourth Seat Adjustments*
*Handling Interference*
(X)
XX = 10+ no 4M
1y = natural forcing
2C = simple raise
2y = weak jump shift

(1y)

---------------
1D Opening Responses

----------------

Constructive Bidding:

NMF
After 1m-1M-1N, 2 of the other minor is artificial ask e.g.
1C-1H-1N-2D-?
2M = 3crds minimum

Reverses

2/1 auctions

-----------------
We open, they interfere:
Support Doubles
Jordan

-----------------
Slam Bidding

-----------------
Defensive Bidding

-----------------
Leads and Carding

Thanks,
Dan

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-01, 09:28

My partner and I share our notes on Google Doc's. I don't think our format is anything wonderful, the document has grown
a lot and needs major rework. I do however like the method, it's simple to share, we can both update the notes and the index feature allows you to jump to a specific convention/topic.

https://docs.google....whjf_53d9bz9dfv
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-01, 10:44

Thanks everyone. Google docs is certainly a good idea, and I'll experiment with the suggested formats and see what ends up maintainable.

#10 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-02, 03:18

I used google docs in the past, it's a good method. However, when I used it, it was a lot of work to get colored suit symbols in there. Not sure if this is solved already. In word documents I can create a macro, which is very fast. That's why we reverted to docx files, and upload them as a google document. The biggest drawback is that we need to download the file, modify it, upload the file, and share it, each time we want to update it. However, the notes are much more comprehensible.

Personally I prefer the following format:
- Changes to previous version, possible future updates, color codes, general remarks,...
- A few points of attention (special situations that can easily be forgotten)
- Table of contents
- System overview (openings, changes by seat/vulnerability, preempt style,...)
- ?? opening (can be 1 at a time, can be sever openings like 1M - this depends on the system)
* description
* responses
* continuations
* changes by vul/seat
* continuations (after changes)
* used conventions (with a link to the place in the document where it's described)
* consequences of the used conventions
* intervention handling
(* intervention handling (after changes))

- Conventions
* convention ???
** when it applies, purpose,...
** responses & continuations
** intervention handling

- Passes, Doubles and ReDoubles
- Slam bidding
- Defenses against specific systems & meta agreements
- Overcalls
- General bidding agreements
- Leads & carding
* Leads
* Carding

"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-November-02, 09:14

View PostFree, on 2011-November-02, 03:18, said:

I used google docs in the past, it's a good method. However, when I used it, it was a lot of work to get colored suit symbols in there. Not sure if this is solved already.

Agree, suit symbols are a pita in Google Docs. Has anyone found a fix?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-November-02, 09:49

I haven't used Google Docs but would it not be possible to leave a placeholder string, such as !H, etc and then use a mass copy-replace with the replace string copied from the Word suit symbols? This way you would only need to worry about it at most 4 times per edit.
(-: Zel :-)

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-November-02, 12:01

We have about 60 pages, about half on constructive bidding and half on competitive bidding, plus a few on defense. In constructive bidding, sections are organized by opening bid, plus a general section on slam bidding and a section on relays. In competitive bidding we have sections when we open, when they open, general style and one on doubles listing many different auctions.

Organizing systems notes in this way seems standard from what I can see.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 00:21

han, I suspect you need less room for definitions of what exactly a game try means and when is 4 gerber. Part of the problem is after we have a misunderstanding, we try to write it down, so you get comments like "in the auction 1M-2m-4M, X is penalty" that tend to clutter sections as they accumulate. I tried putting them in a special "lessons learned" file but then nobody reads it because it's too specific at all times that's not the exact second when you have that auction again. I think as we'll improve we'll need less specifics and then it'll be easier to group.
I like the Google docs because I can embed hyperlinks to jump between sections, so I can link to such specific notes from relevant sections without inhibiting the ability to read through a section and get a "general picture" sort of understanding.

#15 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-November-03, 03:38

View PostAntrax, on 2011-November-03, 00:21, said:

I like the Google docs because I can embed hyperlinks to jump between sections, so I can link to such specific notes from relevant sections without inhibiting the ability to read through a section and get a "general picture" sort of understanding.

You can also do that in a Word document... :rolleyes:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#16 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 03:53

For those who don't like google docs unfortunate difficulties, one can get similar functionality from dropbox (auto synchronization of documents) and use your favorite text editor.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#17 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 05:48

View PostFree, on 2011-November-03, 03:38, said:

You can also do that in a Word document... :rolleyes:
Not sure why that deserves an eye roll - have I said otherwise anywhere? Should I have qualified my post, to say this is one of the reasons, and another is the ability for both partners to edit the document? Or should I have said that while other editors have this feature, I like word's less as it doesn't have tabs?

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2011-November-03, 08:50

View PostAntrax, on 2011-November-03, 05:48, said:

Not sure why that deserves an eye roll - have I said otherwise anywhere? Should I have qualified my post, to say this is one of the reasons, and another is the ability for both partners to edit the document? Or should I have said that while other editors have this feature, I like word's less as it doesn't have tabs?

Relax, you did great.

#19 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-03, 10:42

Where's my smiley then? :(

#20 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-04, 01:10

There are a lot of technologies you can use to allow multiple edits and saving conveniently.

At work we use a lot of OneNote and Sharepoint which allows multiple simultaneous editing and automatically saves (can you tell I work at Microsoft?).

You can use a wiki, heck for some conventions you may even want to use wikipedia (bridge conventions).

dropbox or box.net or many other cloud providers have shared document transfers.

I've heard, and if I ever finish any notes I plan on adopting, the policy no convention cards change until you have updated the notes and both partners agree. In some ways it might even be better if only one person can update the notes and that person isn't the one in the partnership who most likes to write conventions (to help make sure both partners are in sync).

One other thing I've wanted to include on my wish list of system notes as an appendix to my notes is a set of hands and auctions from real life play/partnership bidding/bidding contests that are indexed by auction so one can get a feel for the sets of hands. Something sort of like a data base so you could say what hands start unopposed P - 1 - 2 and check out some hands from real life auctions.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users