• You cannot reply to this topic

Impossible to accept Claims

#1 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-25, 23:43

The contact is 7DXX
Declarer has no other losers.
After the lead of A is ruffed and and AD is lead, declarer claims and opponents accept!!!

Not exactly those hands but distribution and honours are right for hands.

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-26, 01:39

Your point being? If NS don't investigate the a claim, it's their own problem...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-26, 11:34

Well, calling attention on this hand is not just for the benefit of the NS involved, it is for the fairness to other pairs as well...

#4 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 15:37

View Postbucky, on 2010-October-26, 11:34, said:

Well, calling attention on this hand is not just for the benefit of the NS involved, it is for the fairness to other pairs as well...

The laws don't provide field protection for this case.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 16:22

Per Law 69B, acquiescence in a claim can be withdrawn within the correction period specified by Law 79C (i.e., within 30 minutes of the posting of the scores, or such other period as the TO may - in written regulations available to all players prior to the start of the event — specify). It's up to the claimer's opponents to do so, however. If they don't, the agreed score stands. The fact that if the hand was played out the defense would have got another trick is irrelevant. OTOH, if the TD is called, he should give the defense their trick, since there's no way they can lose it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 16:31

Seems like an innocent mistake and as blackshoe points out, can only be corrected legally by the N/S side withdrawing their acceptance.

I don't know any E/W pairs that would try to profit by the lack of that, nor would I want to and have seen quite a few ask for the proper adjustment themselves.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-27, 16:39

It did not seem to me that there is any reason to believe that the claiming side was aware that they claimed a trick they couldn't, on the lie of the cards, possibly win. It still doesn't. B)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 17:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2010-October-27, 16:22, said:

Per Law 69B, acquiescence in a claim can be withdrawn within the correction period specified by Law 79C (i.e., within 30 minutes of the posting of the scores, or such other period as the TO may - in written regulations available to all players prior to the start of the event — specify). It's up to the claimer's opponents to do so, however. If they don't, the agreed score stands. The fact that if the hand was played out the defense would have got another trick is irrelevant. OTOH, if the TD is called, he should give the defense their trick, since there's no way they can lose it.

This seems like a loophole then. What if someone deliberately wants to give away matchpoints (I am not saying this N/S pair is)? I thought the law is supposed to restore equity to the game. If the E/W pair gets an undeserving score for whatever the reason, the law should protect the other pairs in the field.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-27, 19:07

Generally speaking, the Law does not "protect the field". I'm pretty sure the concept is not supported by the lawmakers.

Deliberately giving away matchpoints, OTOH, is generally a violation of conditions of contest, and would be handled by the sanctions in those CoC.
--------------------

#10 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 19:23

View Postblackshoe, on 2010-October-27, 19:07, said:

Generally speaking, the Law does not "protect the field". I'm pretty sure the concept is not supported by the lawmakers.

Deliberately giving away matchpoints, OTOH, is generally a violation of conditions of contest, and would be handled by the sanctions in those CoC.

In the case of dealing with revoke, the exact wording of "restore equity" is used. I don't know if that is the general spirit or principle that applies to other parts of the law. In my view, fairness should be the overriding principle in any competitive game. This is not always achievable in reality, but it should be the goal.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-27, 20:18

View Postbucky, on 2010-October-27, 19:23, said:

In the case of dealing with revoke, the exact wording of "restore equity" is used. I don't know if that is the general spirit or principle that applies to other parts of the law. In my view, fairness should be the overriding principle in any competitive game. This is not always achievable in reality, but it should be the goal.

Different people have different ideas about what constitutes "fairness". TDs are constrained to follow the laws and regulations in force.

IAC, when the TD is not called, he's not going to do anything. Whether that's "fair" or not seems a moot point.
--------------------

#12 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 20:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2010-October-27, 20:18, said:

Different people have different ideas about what constitutes "fairness". TDs are constrained to follow the laws and regulations in force.

IAC, when the TD is not called, he's not going to do anything. Whether that's "fair" or not seems a moot point.

I understand. The question I raise is whether others (not the players involved) are allowed to spot the irregularity and bring it to TD's attention.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-27, 22:07

View Postbucky, on 2010-October-27, 20:31, said:

I understand. The question I raise is whether others (not the players involved) are allowed to spot the irregularity and bring it to TD's attention.

No. Kibbitzers are not allowed to participate in the game, unless a TD asks them a question.

I think there was a recent case in a major tournament where a kibbitzer or Vugraph operator reported a revoke. I think it was decided that the TD couldn't act on this.

#14 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 22:27

View Postbarmar, on 2010-October-27, 22:07, said:

No. Kibbitzers are not allowed to participate in the game, unless a TD asks them a question.

I think there was a recent case in a major tournament where a kibbitzer or Vugraph operator reported a revoke. I think it was decided that the TD couldn't act on this.

I meant players at other tables, upon examining the hand record, can they report the incident? Let's take an extreme (and imaginary) case. Say there are two boards a round, in a particular round a pair scores 7NTXX -13 on both boards for -7600. Is there nothing that can be done?

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-27, 22:57

As far as the Laws are concerned, I don't think there's any difference between players at other tables ad kibbitzers. The only exception, I think, is team games, where other team members can also get involved.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-27, 23:31

View Postbarmar, on 2010-October-27, 22:57, said:

As far as the Laws are concerned, I don't think there's any difference between players at other tables ad kibbitzers. The only exception, I think, is team games, where other team members can also get involved.

I do not believe this is correct. Say you are in a Pairs game and the winning pair made a slam from such an impossible claim which turned a bottom into a top. Now say that the difference between first and second was less than this number of MPs. I believe the second-placed pair have the right to appeal here as long as the impossibility of the claim is verifiable. (I might be wrong though)
(-: Zel :-)

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-28, 07:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2010-October-27, 23:31, said:

I do not believe this is correct. Say you are in a Pairs game and the winning pair made a slam from such an impossible claim which turned a bottom into a top. Now say that the difference between first and second was less than this number of MPs. I believe the second-placed pair have the right to appeal here as long as the impossibility of the claim is verifiable. (I might be wrong though)

I'm afraid you are wrong. A contestant (in a pairs contest, a pair, in a team contest the team) may appeal a ruling made at their table. In the case you hypothesize, there was no ruling, so there is no right for anyone to appeal. Equally, only an involved contestant may ask for a ruling. So there is no right for someone else to ask for one.

OTOH, the director is required to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware "in any manner". Even so, in this case, there was no irregularity, the defenders simply failed to contest the claim. Suppose, though, that the second place pair went to the defenders here, and convinced them to withdraw their acquiescence in the claim. Now the TD has to rule on that. I think I would "turn the top into a bottom" as you say, and then issue a PP to the second place pair large enough to ensure they don't come first.
--------------------

#18 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-28, 11:18

View Postblackshoe, on 2010-October-28, 07:10, said:

I'm afraid you are wrong. A contestant (in a pairs contest, a pair, in a team contest the team) may appeal a ruling made at their table. In the case you hypothesize, there was no ruling, so there is no right for anyone to appeal. Equally, only an involved contestant may ask for a ruling. So there is no right for someone else to ask for one.

OTOH, the director is required to rectify an error or irregularity of which he becomes aware "in any manner". Even so, in this case, there was no irregularity, the defenders simply failed to contest the claim. Suppose, though, that the second place pair went to the defenders here, and convinced them to withdraw their acquiescence in the claim. Now the TD has to rule on that. I think I would "turn the top into a bottom" as you say, and then issue a PP to the second place pair large enough to ensure they don't come first.

Why would you give the second place pair a PP for simply talking to the defenders involved to correct an error? What did they do wrong?

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-28, 14:12

View Postbucky, on 2010-October-28, 11:18, said:

Why would you give the second place pair a PP for simply talking to the defenders involved to correct an error? What did they do wrong?

They tried to influence the result of the match in their favor.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-28, 14:17

Surely pairs sitting in the opposite direction to the lazy defenders here are in the same position as the other pair in a team match and are involved parties. I don't remember - does the law specifically make the case that team matches are different to pairs games in this particular respect? (And if it does and it applies in this scenario, then arguably the wording of the law is bad).

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users